Suggestions on antenna options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerri

So unfortunately I can't mount any type of Scantenna or anything of that sort. What I have now is a mag mount on a cookie sheet outside my window on my screen porch roof. It's a decent antenna but I wouldn't mind running that to my BCT15 and getting a better antenna for my BCT15X which is the scanner I use for most of my monitoring. I was thinking of buying a Larsen 150/450/800 and attaching it to a magnet mount. However I monitor a mix of VHF/UHF so I was wondering if there is an antenna one would recommend that does good/is designed for these two bands.

I was also thinking of buying a Radio Shack 20-176 and just placing it outside on the screen porch roof but am not sure how that would work.

Any suggestions people have would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[P.S. - If the Larsen 150/450/800 is the best choice what is a good site to buy the antenna and a mount (as I don't see anything regarding the antenna on Scanner Master, Scanner World, or Universal Radio)]

prcguy

The big Larsen VHF/UHF commercial dual band is a nice antenna and will work better than the Larsen150/450/800 for your application. See Ebay item # 370296353846, although you can find them for much less.
prcguy

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
The RS antenna would be a possibility, but agree with prcguy on the Larsen. I use a similar ham version, the NMO2/70B, on a cookie sheet in my 2nd floor shack, and am very happy with it's performance. Larsens are built tough, and just plain perform. I also have the 150/450/800 on my truck, but for concentrating on the VHF/UHF bands, the dual band model would give you better performance.

apd3190

I have one of those 20-176 antennas on the roof of my house. Works good for me. I live just south of Baltimore and i get hits from Pennsylvania in the 150s

Rick_Harvey

Radio Shack's Discone antenna is he best available as far as I know. I have one mounted above my TV antenna, and one at the radio shop. It covers from 25-1000 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.