Suggestions please - need to upgrade my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cd1229

Premium Subscriber
Currently have a BC125AT which is all I ever needed for police/fire in my local city/county. Recently they've switched to a trunked digital system, and I need a scanner that will work for 700mhz phase 1 and phase 2 tdma. Any suggestions? I like my handheld, because I can carry it around from room to room or the yard, but will also consider a base unit, since I mainly use the scanner at home. I admit to not knowing much about various scanners. I do understand, that if the channels on the new system become encrypted in the future, I'll no longer be able to receive the channels even on a new scanner, so I suppose I should stay on the conservative side price-wise.

mciupa

Database Admin
A Uniden BC325P2 or BCD996P2 with FreeScan software would be budget conscious and work for you.
Sandoval County

DECHEXModeAlpha TagDescriptionTag
73171c95TSCSO 1Sheriff DispatchLaw Dispatch
73121c90TBernalillo PDBernalillo Police DispatchLaw Dispatch
70101b62TRio Rancho PDRio Rancho PD DispatchLaw Dispatch
72911c7bTSCFD DispatchFire DispatchFire Dispatch
72921c7cTSCFD Tac 1Fire Tac 1Fire-Tac
70001b58TRio FD DispatchRio Rancho Fire DispatchFire Dispatch
73031c87TCorrales FD 1Corrales FD Ch 1Fire-Tac

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
If money is not an issue, I would go straight to the top with the Uniden SDS 100 or SDS 200. The older lesser expensive ones MIGHT work ok for your location, but if you happen to be in a simulcast bad spot, they can be very frustrating, The SDS 100 and 200 do better with simulcast.
Happy Scanning!

cd1229

Premium Subscriber
A Uniden BC325P2 or BCD996P2 with FreeScan software would be budget conscious and work for you.
Sandoval County

Thank you for your reply. This info is very helpful!

Hit_Factor

Did you read this thread yet?

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
If you have a simulcast site nearby the SDS is the only option, it's the only traditional scanner product that supports simulcast. If you don't typically monitor a simulcast site, the other products listed earlier would work just fine.

cd1229

Premium Subscriber
Did you read this thread yet?

will check it out

cd1229

Premium Subscriber
Sandoval County

Thank you for your reply. This info is very helpful!
Is there a way to figure out if these are simulcast, before I go ahead and purchase a scanner? From what I gather, some scanners work with simulcast and others not so well. Be good to know ahead of time, if there's a way of finding out

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to figure out if these are simulcast, before I go ahead and purchase a scanner? From what I gather, some scanners work with simulcast and others not so well. Be good to know ahead of time, if there's a way of finding out
Look at the system in the database:

It appears that, so far, there is not a site specifically in your county (Sandoval). However, several of the sites in Bernalillo are flagged as Simulcast. Unfortunately, these sites all appear to be using state licenses for their frequencies, not ones licensed to a specific county or city. The state licensed frequencies are a group that the state is allowed to use without specifically licensing a location. Unlike sites (on other systems) where you can pull up a map for the site, and review the sub-site (transmit tower) locations, all you have to go one is that a set of frequencies are in use, with no documentation of exactly where the transmit sites are located.

You would be better served, for the sites in Bernalillo County (which may well cover parts of your county) to consider the SDS100 or SDS200. That way, you can deal with simulcast issues. You might be able to get by with a 436HP pr 536HP, but if you want to try that, be sure & purchase from a dealer that does not severely penalize you if you needed to return one of the x36HP scanners & switch to the SDS100 or SDS200.

Look at this comment from the New Mexico state forum:
Looks like Sandoval County is actively in the process of joining the system, with more sites being built out soon.

You might want to request that this thread be moved down to the state forum, where someone in your state, and more familiar with the specifics of what may be coming, could give you a better idea as to whether simulcast will be an issue.
More details on Simulcast are in the Wiki: Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.