Suggestions to clean up the Uniden Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

trunker

The Uniden forum has become almost impossible to navigate for constructive information. The trash and ignorance posts about the X36 scanners are overwhelming the really good informative ones, and questions about the rest of the Uniden line.

Maybe the X36 scanners need their own forum with their own Stickys.

Moderating everyone is probably impossible but an attempt to crack down on obvious people for a while would help and deter others.

Move and combine relevant posts. There are just too many about the same issues.

I don't know how much of this is manageable but something has to be done to preserve the reputation of this forum.

QDP2012

Makes sense, considering there's roughly nine pages of x36 threads in addition to the ten stuck threads, all active within the past week or so.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I had to take most of the weekend off I was so overwhelmed with thread replies, emails and PMs asking for assistance that I had to play catch up for several hours each day. I know, I know...I deserve no pity but I do agree that things have gotten out of hand. Hence my idea at the beginning of the weekend to start a "FAQ READ HERE 1ST!" Sticky thread that, of course, has been routinely ignored even though the same damn questions being asked over and over and over again can be found in the *gasp* FAQ thread.
C'est la vie...C'est la vie....
As one of the Uniden forum moderators I am willing to try anything that may help ease the morass of threads there presently.
Marshall KE4ZNR

The Uniden forum has become almost impossible to navigate for constructive information. The trash and ignorance posts about the X36 scanners are overwhelming the really good informative ones, and questions about the rest of the Uniden line.

Moderating everyone is probably impossible but an attempt to crack down on obvious people for a while would help and deter others.

Move and combine relevant posts. There are just too many about the same issues.

I don't know how much of this is manageable but something has to be done to preserve the reputation of this forum.

QDP2012

Thank you to all mod's

I had to take most of the weekend off I was so overwhelmed with thread replies, emails and PMs asking for assistance that I had to play catch up for several hours each day. I know, I know...I deserve no pity but I do agree that things have gotten out of hand. Hence my idea at the beginning of the weekend to start a "FAQ READ HERE 1ST!" Sticky thread that, of course, has been routinely ignored even though the same damn questions being asked over and over and over again can be found in the *gasp* FAQ thread.
C'est la vie...C'est la vie....
As one of the Uniden forum moderators I am willing to try anything that may help ease the morass of threads there presently.
Marshall KE4ZNR

More than pity, you and all the mod's deserve appreciation! Once the "x36 new toy" factor wears away, the forum might settle-down.

But, as trunker suggested, until then, maybe moving all of the existing x36 threads into a new x36 sub-forum, inside the Uniden forum, is something to seriously consider. It would certainly "thin the herd" so other non-x36 threads could be more easily found.

Within such a sub-forum, maybe you should make the "FAQ READ HERE 1ST" thread the ONLY sticky thread. This would help prevent it from getting lost in a pile of stuck-threads.

It would be a lot of work, but as the FAQ thread is updated, maybe the thread(s) that were the source(s) of information could then also get locked, so it keeps those threads from growing again.

Thank you to you and the other mod's for all the time and effort it takes to keep the forums in good shape!

Hope this helps,

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
I think you're fighting a losing battle unfortunately, people (mostly newbs) would rather take 1 minute to post a question that's already been answered 43 times and wait for a reply than to take 5 or 10 minutes to do a bit of research. Although I've seen people with more posts than me, who should know better, do it as well.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Almost all the threads get bloated by posts that contribute nothing to a topic. The Uniden simulcast thread is the first I have seen where off topic posts were consistently deleted.
Unfortunately I think the sheer volume of posts and topics precludes consistent enforcement of off topic posting or those that add nothing to a topic at hand.
It would be better if individual forums could be locked for posting until a sticky was read and acknowledged but is probably not possible.

chris

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
So the premier scanner forum on the web should have no discussion of the x36? That doesn't seem like a smart move to me.

trunker

I think you're fighting a losing battle unfortunately, people (mostly newbs) would rather take 1 minute to post a question that's already been answered 43 times and wait for a reply than to take 5 or 10 minutes to do a bit of research. Although I've seen people with more posts than me, who should know better, do it as well.

So the premier scanner forum on the web should have no discussion of the x36? That doesn't seem like a smart move to me.

oops, I meant to reply to your post.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
That's not going to happen.

Users can feel free to post here or there or both. The HomePatrol forums are run by Uniden and not connected with RadioReference.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Makes sense, considering there's roughly nine pages of x36 threads in addition to the ten stuck threads, all active within the past week or so.

This is the reason why we are starting to closed up a few threads, move some to the archived sticky thread, hence the reason why we like to have individual threads.

The BCDX36 threads can be moved into Marshall'ss FAQ and Info, I will be doing this soon. Personally I don't like so many sticky threads:lol:

Lets remember folks, people are super excited when new radios are coming out and its normal for things to get out of hand and info to be scattered everywhere, and thats okay too, just needs a little cleaning up.

Take care

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
It's not the forum which has a reputation issue; it's the vendors who can't get it right after 10 years. People are pissed. Not everyone lives in 3600/no simulcast territory.

It sounds to me as if you want to read the forum through rose-tinted glasses. If you don't like what people are saying about the failed Uniden product line, maybe it's time to move away from the brand?

Well said.

I think since it is a vendor whom you let advertise and sell products on your site are causing the problems, you (the site) would ask/ demand said vendor to PUBLICLY say something and let the people know more information on what is going on other than "we will have an update in the near future" or "there is going to be a firmware update in the future". People want to know what is going on for the $5-6+ hundred dollars they just spent. Transparency, I am willing to bet that would calm things down.

This is where all the site owners, admins and moderators start to look bad when they go on the defense for a vendor who says something like above and then does NOT publicly do anything else because of fear from a "lawsuit". People are going to get upset at just about everything. Do not fuel the fire with your talking down to members or insulting members for wanting more for their hard earned money and publicly letting potential future customers of any product know there is problems before buying.

I for one am grateful people are publicly talking about these products. I am glad there is transparency between actual owners and future customers because without them I would have bought something that does not work 100% as of right now and felt like some here.

Being mad that people are getting huffy is not a reason to shut down threads and delete postings. It is just something every site I moderated on had to deal with. As we had seen this weekend, a couple members got even more pissed and started new BS threads that were quickly removed. Some people are just way out there and DO need to be removed but there is always a way for them to get back in. Those are the ones who need controlling, NOT the people leaving positive or negative feedback. IMO

Dafe1er

Is there a way for the sites admin to place all the locked "Read me first" threads like this one:
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/283228-uniden-bcd436-536hp-faq-info-read-1st.html
at the top of the screen (thread) so it is never "dropped down" when there is a new post in another thread? Like now it is stickie number 5. it should be in the number one spot always since it is locked and needed to read first, then the rest listed below that.

We had this at a site I was part of and it help keep the important information at the top at all times. this was our way of getting the newbies and others to read first ask second. Did it always work? No, but did help.

The problem that I find is that the last newest thread posted in makes the "need to read" threads just blend in below them.The read me now threads need to stand out. Bold lettering and special areas do this.

I do like the suggestion of having new members who have not read and or acknowledge the sites rules should not be allowed to post right a way. Give them an area in the general discussion area to "lounge" and make 5-10 posts in there before letting them run a muck.

There is also an idea I have for a "VIP" area. Have an area that only special members can have access to, to see new release's, files, firmware updates and what have you. This helps keep those that are trouble out and if anyone is in there causing trouble you can take the status away or suspend them...whatever.

Just a few ideas of many I have to help you all out in trying to get things under control a little.

QDP2012

There is also an idea I have for a "VIP" area. Have an area that only special members can have access to, to see new release's, files, firmware updates and what have you. This helps keep those that are trouble out and if anyone is in there causing trouble you can take the status away or suspend them...whatever.

Even though I find this suggestion interesting, I would be inclined not to support it, for two reasons. First, I might be wrong, but overall, it is probably easier for the mod's to keep-up with the system that is in-place, than to significantly change the system-design, with additonal status-designators/rankings for each member. Second, the openness of the forums is a big attraction/selling-point for a lot of readers and participants. I know I appreciate it. Having a private/limited-access "VIP only" area would not be well-accepted, I think.

Maybe, instead of a VIP section, a little more enforcement of the current infraction-system would achieve the heart of your suggestion. On the other hand, as far as I can tell, many mod's tend to lean toward the merciful side with a gentle-reminder to shape-up instead of the infraction-issuing punishment side. And most of the time, this seems like the right way to go.

I don't think a VIP-only section would have prevented the high-count of x36 threads in the Uniden forum. I think any highly-anticpated product release would have similar results, VIP or not. The earlier suggestion to merge/delete threads seems to be the way to go, even though it will be a lot of work.

Thanks for the idea,

Last edited:

Dafe1er

First, I might be wrong, but overall, it is probably easier for the mod's to keep-up with the system that is in-place, than to significantly change the system-design, with additonal status-designators/rankings for each member. Second, the openness of the forums is a big attraction/selling-point for a lot of readers and participants.
Thanks for the idea,

Nothing would change with the design we have currently and the openness will still be there.

We could just add a section for VIP members to have a discussion area, a file area, and new product release area. Titles are not hard to change for anyone nor is getting people's interest when it comes to something "private". Just might need some more assistance from members running the area.....I will offer to help where, how I can! :)

The VIP section would allow those special members the ability to chat, test new firmware, see new products or maybe even buy products a month or week before they hit the streets.Have contest for giveaways or products like SDR Dongles etc.. Almost like the "official" beta testers but with a twist. They could converse in a private area with mod's and toss back ideas they might not want to share with the public.Many, many good things come from something like this, and all this of course while generating revenue for the site. ;)

Something to toss around.

VE3RADIO

I would hope the VIP area would be open to anyone who paid for a subscription.. I know it would not go over well with me if I am paying for a sub to a website and find out only a select few can get more up to date information on a scanner I just forked over x amount of dollars for.

That being said if the VIP was to include those who pay to be a premium member.. go for it.

Dafe1er

That all would be left to the site owners.

But I will say for example reasons, the yearly fee now is $30.00. For an additional $15-30 a year you could obtain the VIP status.

Something fair can be worked out I am sure. When we did it on the site I was part of, people went nuts. They loved the fact they had something over the "regular" user of the site and were able to get in on things first or for little to no money buy the newest toys before the rest. It was orderly and fun at the same time.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
But I will say for example reasons, the yearly fee now is $30.00. For an additional $15-30 a year you could obtain the VIP status.

There is no yearly fee to access the forums. The forums are free to anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.