Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihornsby

I've been scanning for almost 30 years now. Analog only. All depts in my area (Albany GA) have gone digital. I'm a little overwhelmed on which scanner to get. I've looked at the GRE PSR-800, Uniden BCD396XT, & the Pro-106. I'm new to scanner programming on a PC, but pretty knowledgeable on a PC. I assume the GRE would the easiest to set up. But, performance is very important. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for sounding so much like a newbie. I'm looking forward to getting back into scanning, I'm just a little lost.
Thx for any suggestions, be gentle :)
D.L.

safetyobc

I like the 800. It is as easy or as complicated as you want to have it. Easy initial set up and the EZScan software is really intuitive and full featured! I really enjoy the onboard recording the 800 has. You can tweak the programming with the software. I think it is the best scanner available. The HomePatrol may be a close 2nd in my opinion. If I had to buy just one, It would be the 800.

scannerboy01

I've been scanning for almost 30 years now.
Since you've been scanning for almost 30 years, the fact that the PSR-800 has no keypad might seem a little strange to you. If you must have one that has a keypad and you would like to buy from GRECOM, tow good scanners would be the PSR-500 (handheld) or PSR-600 (base/mobile) since your area is currently digital.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Since you've been scanning for almost 30 years, the fact that the PSR-800 has no keypad might seem a little strange to you. If you must have one that has a keypad and you would like to buy from GRECOM, tow good scanners would be the PSR-500 (handheld) or PSR-600 (base/mobile) since your area is currently digital.

I didn't like the PSR-800 because it didn't have a keypad but now that I own one, I love it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

W2PMX

The 800 is cheaper than the 106 (if you add in everything you get for free with the 800) and it has more features. I would already own one if GRE released the protocol, but I don't buy scanners I can't write software for.

safetyobc

I've been in scanning for quite some time myself. Probably 6 to 8 years. I thought I would miss the keyboard but I don't. You can't manually enter a frequency into the scanner however, using the software you can. I just haven't missed it. If you have to have a keyboard, I recommend the PSR-500. It is a great radio also.

Status
Not open for further replies.