suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkarl

Have a radio shack pro 2052 that works really well with the antenna it came with.
I am less than 20 miles (16?) from a trunked system that I enjoy listening to..... but I can't seem to get it at my house.
One mile closer I can get it clear as a bell....(in my truck, on a power inverter) but I am also about 80-100 feet LOWER in elevation than I am at my house..... This really boggles my mind.
I feel like I SHOULD be able to get this system at my house. WHy can't I?
What would you experts do to remedy this situation?
Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From the description, I'd say that something in or around your home is causing a blind spot depending on where the transmit antenna is - you could simply be in its shadow.

It's a little difficult to be more specific without knowing more about what you are trying to hear and your local RF environment, but that seems the most logical conclusion. For a simple test, move the scanner into another room of the house (or get it higher - say on a bookshelf). If the system that you are trying to hear is on 800 mhz, then even moving the radio a small amount may make all the differerence. However, keep in mind that given lots of hills and trees in the area, 20 miles might be a stretch on that frequency given that kind of enviornment. A better antenna, mounted outdoors and as high as practical, may be a solution - particularly a small Yagi (and at 800 Mhz, they're quite tiny) that can be pointed and rotated to find a better signal. Heck even a cheap TV rotator would do the trick, given that an 800 Mhz Yagi would have very negligble wind loading

Just a couple of thoughts...Mike

benbenrf

Another possibility - the "trunked system", or the part of it, you have been trying listen in to is not by chance "point-to-point" i.e. you pick it up in certain locations because they are in the beam width, but not others because they're outside the beam width?

Status
Not open for further replies.