Summit County 2x Fatal, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
WB I-70 at Frisco T/A R/O with infant ejected and killed also another code black on arrival at SMC.

O/F 154.400, DTRS, Online

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
CSP Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Date: March 26, 2012 Time: 6:08 p.m.

The Colorado State Patrol is investigating a one-vehicle crash resulting in two fatalities that occurred on eastbound I-70, near Frisco. At approximately 10:30 a.m., an unidentified sedan and a 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer were traveling eastbound near milepost 201. The sedan abruptly changed lanes from right to left, in front of the Chevrolet. The Chevrolet swerved, spun out of control, and entered the grass median before rolling multiple times. The Chevrolet landed on its wheels in the westbound lanes before traveling off the northern side of the roadway and coming to rest.

The sedan did not stop, continuing eastbound and leaving the scene.

The Chevrolet's driver, 38-year-old Renee Nevares of Commerce City, was wearing her seatbelt but sustained fatal injuries as a result of the crash; she was pronounced dead at the scene. The front-seat passenger, 65-year-old Dolores Ortega-Nevares of Commerce City, was not wearing her seatbelt at the time of the crash and was ejected during the rollover sequence; she sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The left-rear passenger, 17-year-old Gabriel Navares (Jr.), was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the crash and sustained moderate injuries; he was transported to Children's Hospital in Aurora for treatment. The right-rear passenger, 17-month-old Gregory Nevares, was unrestrained at the time of the crash and was ejected during the rollover sequence; he sustained serious, non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Children's Hospital for treatment. A child restraint system was available in the Chevrolet but either was not used or was used improperly.

The third-row passenger, 40-year-old Gabriel Nevares (Sr.), was not wearing his seatbelt at the time of the crash and sustained serious injuries. He was transported to St. Anthony's Central for treatment.

The unidentified sedan was described as a dark, older model-possibly maroon or black in color, Toyota or Hyundai in make. License plate information and a description of the driver are unavailable at this time. The sedan likely does not have any damage related to the crash.

The Colorado State Patrol would like anyone who witnessed the crash or has information regarding the unidentified vehicle or its driver to call the
Denver Communication Center at 303-239-4501.

As a result of the crash, the westbound lanes of I-70 were closed for more than five hours; traffic was re-routed through Frisco. The eastbound lanes were reduced to one lane of travel for more than four hours.

The Colorado State Patrol reminds motorists to always wear their safety belts and to dial *277 to report aggressive or unsafe motorists on Colorado roadways.

Moosemedic

Has anyone really ever had any luck with dialing in *277 ? :mad:

I've called in my share of drivers, and offered each time to spend a day in court (Call takers ask if you're willing to sign) and I have yet to EVER be asked to. I've never once received a call back from a Trooper.

In fact, in just the last month I was on Duty in an Ambulance and was passed by a vehicle traveling in excess of 90 (just take my word for it) He passed us approaching the crest of a hill, in a double yellow, with vehicles in front of us, slid in between jamming on his brakes to avoid hitting the lead car and then passed again with oncoming traffic.

In spite of a confirmed license plate (and positive driver ID possible) being aired over the Law Enforcement Channel to Dispatch, this vehicle was not found.

Seriously, is there any point to calling *277 ? Or is it just an attempt to make us feel good?

Oh, here's a hint: Look at the Tunnel traffic cameras about 10 minutes after this accident. Unless the sedan got off at Silverthorne, it's on that video.

Status
Not open for further replies.