Summit County Accident, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Accident is a M/C down CO-9 at Farmers Corner near the high school and crews continue to work the trauma arrest at SMC.

O/F 154.400, 155.580, DTRS, Online

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed fatal with ETOH involved, believe autopsy scheduled for Monday at Jeffco.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
FARMER’S KORNER — A 34-year-old Breckenridge resident died after crashing his motorcycle Friday night near Farmer’s Korner. Coroner Joanne Richardson said Manuel Velasco, who was not wearing a helmet, died after fracturing his neck.

Velasco was traveling southbound on Highway 9 when he breaked to turn and lost control of his motorcycle, according to Colorado State Patrol Capt. Ron Prater. The bike skidded 36 feet and then rolled onto the right side, traveling 60 feet, ejecting Velasco, who came to rest beside the motorcycle, Prater said.

Larry Bardwell was on his deck at the time and heard the crash. He hurriedly put on shoes and grabbed his cell phone, then ran out to the intersection of Highway 9 and Swan Mountain Road, which is under construction, to investigate.

“I was the first one there, and this is pure speculation, but I think he hit the median,” Bardwell said. “I think he got confused about the lane lines. He was beat up real bad. I felt the artery on his neck and got a little movement, then nothing. I called 911 and they got there about five minutes later and performed CPR, then moved him.”

Velasco was still alive on-scene, but was pronounced dead after arriving at the hospital.

“He’s loved by many people in the community and a lot of people will miss him,” said Velasco’s brother, who did not want to give his name.

A standard toxicology report could take up to two weeks to complete, according to the Coroner’s Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.