Summit County - illegal transmissions on Macedonia PD by future ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
Last night around 9:10 - 9:15pm someone made a series of transmissions on Macedonia Police CH1 423.625mhz asking how he sounded. He described himself as working on his license (that he clearly doesn't have yet) then went on to explain his equipment and ask how he sounded (three or so times that I'm aware of). After the third transmission the police finally tell him to knock it off.

If anyone recognizes this guy's voice he could use a talking to explaining what he's doing is illegal, and maybe a little education on the hobby he's trying to enter. I'd be glad to help him with that if we can figure out who he is. If this is your voice reach out to me via PMs here so we can chat.

Audio here: http://northernsummit.org/files/FutureHam-MPD.mp3

-N8YNR

fyrfyter33

Why don't you get someone to RDF his location? If you really want to hunt him down, that's what it's going to take.

It took many tries here and FCC showing up randomly over a year, to hunt down the guy here who was using a stolen call sign and having his computer curse into local ham and FD repeaters.

Turds like these don't deserve a license!

fyrfyter33

Last edited:

northernsummit

Feed Provider
Sorry had to edit more into my original comment.

Have a team of RDF guys ready to go. If he's keying a local Public Safety machine, he's probably in that area.

EDIT: if you do find him and he doesn't believe you, this a link to the FCC notice for the local guy we had to deal with

https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2015/DA-15-932A1.html

Yep. Totally agree with you.

In this particular case it doesn't appear to be malicious as much as it appears to be negligence and ignorance, although I have to say it takes a lot of effort to make your Raycom (commercial?) radio use exactly the right tone to bring up a local police repeater and still be able to claim ignorance. Did you play the audio? So far as I can tell he stops when confronted.

My thinking is he doesn't realize what he's doing. If he keeps doing it then absolutely I've already offered to try to find him. Especially since his equipment description implies he's stationary. My hope was that someone around here on the forums locally might recognize his voice and we could have a discussion, educate him, and move on. If he's doing this maliciously and intentionally then yeah, game on.

That enforcement bulletin is awesome. Years ago when we hunted various malicious activity it took months to get the FCC to act. Nobody ever came out and actually did the work for us, we had to submit video evidence and wait and wait and wait. But when they finally act boy is it expensive.

fyrfyter33

He had keyed public safety fire repeater in the middle of the night with offensive statements as well.

I hear ya. Good luck finding him. I didn't listen to the link yet, but it sounds like I should.

Nasby

I agree that it sounds like the guy doesn't even know what he's doing is illegal.

He gives plenty of details about his equipment.

I'll bet if the dispatcher would've asked his name, he probably would have given it.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
I agree that it sounds like the guy doesn't even know what he's doing is illegal.

He gives plenty of details about his equipment.

I'll bet if the dispatcher would've asked his name, he probably would have given it.

hah! I bet. So someone pointed out to me he's totally mashing up Wouxun which makes sense. Another idea was that maybe he has his radio on dual band RX and was listening to the PD but thinking he was keying up over on VHF. Either way, he shut up the minute they called him out so I suspect it was a mistake and won't happen again. Either way, he has no license yet and shouldn't be keying up anywhere but FRS :)

16b

Premium Subscriber
I've heard similar things happen in the past. One time there were a couple of people using a ham repeater without a license, and eventually a ham struck up a conversation with them and it turned out they had bought some cheap radios online (this was around the time the Chinese radios first became popular) and didn't realize they needed a license to use ham frequencies. The ham explained what was involved in getting a license and the folks using the repeater promised not to do it anymore until they were legal.

Hopefully this spurs him to do a little research and leave the PTT alone until he has a license.

Hummer8290

Premium Subscriber
Actually sounded like he got into the repeater better than the other actual users on the system

RFI-EMI-GUY

Last night around 9:10 - 9:15pm someone made a series of transmissions on Macedonia Police CH1 423.625mhz asking how he sounded. He described himself as working on his license (that he clearly doesn't have yet) then went on to explain his equipment and ask how he sounded (three or so times that I'm aware of). After the third transmission the police finally tell him to knock it off.

If anyone recognizes this guy's voice he could use a talking to explaining what he's doing is illegal, and maybe a little education on the hobby he's trying to enter. I'd be glad to help him with that if we can figure out who he is. If this is your voice reach out to me via PMs here so we can chat.

Audio here: http://northernsummit.org/files/FutureHam-MPD.mp3

-N8YNR

hmmm I wonder if Amazon will provide the police a list of buyers of exactly that equipment in the area.

Rred

"hmmm I wonder if Amazon will provide the police a list of buyers of exactly that equipment in the area."
Amazon's corporate policy, stated several times in the past weeks with regard to turning over Amazon Echo files which may contain information relevant to a murder, is that they will provide anything that is requested by any legal and proper summons, issued by a court of law.
Absent a summons, no matter how good the reason seems to be, they will instead maintain customer privacy and not release any customer-specific data, to any party, for any reason.
Some PD says "Yeah, maybe one of your customers did something illegal..." and Amazon will say "No problem, but first, tell that to the judge."
Which is not an unreasonable position.

slimbob

Point out that using equipment over 50 mW on 1.2 GHz is a crime and people are like "LOLOLOLOL, Come and get me!" or "It must be legal, they sold it to me over the internet!"

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
re:

Expected privacy from companies in communications (i.e., Amazon, Apple, Verizon) can be expected to only go so far. When it comes to obtaining evidence in alleged crimes, it's nice to know that Amazon (unlike Apple) will not resist a court order or turn things into a quagmire with a negative reaction. I've always had the mindset that if I have nothing to hide, look all you want. If someone is not doing anything wrong, they have no qualms as to proving it by transparency. Listening to this guy on the radio I get the feeling he is simply ignorant and transmitting unknowingly on a radio he knows nothing about. If he was an obnoxious free-bander or pirate-like he would have taunted and challenged the authorities, and he did not. He simply disappeared. I hope, for his own sake, that he is not heard from again on that particular frequency.

Hans13

I've always had the mindset that if I have nothing to hide, look all you want. If someone is not doing anything wrong, they have no qualms as to proving it by transparency.

Have you thought that through to conclusion? If you want to be a slave, that's your decision. Don't foist that on the rest of us. I jealously guard my liberty.

Most people haven't a clue what it is to be free nor how to remain so.

The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty. Proverbs 22:3

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Foisting?

If there is an accusation or a suspicion that is unwarranted, how on earth does transparency and proving your innocence get twisted into being a slave? And, furthermore, how does my opinion evolve into 'foisting' my acceptance of slavery onto you? Foist of all, let me be the foist to say that I do not, nor have I ever, foisted myself on anyone in any way, shape or form - ever! Such abhorrent behavior is not in my character at all. I think all Foisters should be arrested and charged with Freason!

Ok, I am done laughing at your response and accusations. Now I am laughing at myself, and we should all be able to do that.

Seriously, tho, you do not even know me, so your accusation that I am of a slave mindset and I am advocating this as socially acceptable behavior to you is absolutely ridiculous. Have I thought this through to conclusion? You bet I have, and if there was no other way to prove my innocence or clear my name I would not hesitate to reveal all to anyone, total transparency. This has nothing to do with eroding liberties, for I would be making that decision of my own free will and permission. If I wanted to, I would. If I didn't want to, I wouldn't. That is not slavery, sir, that is total freedom and individual will.

Now, if someone were to demand this from me, well, that is a whole other scenario. And, you would see a completely different response. Don't be so quick to stereotype people.

Back on topic, please...

Last edited:

mszabo2000

"Foist of all, let me be the foist to say that I do not, nor have I ever, foisted myself on anyone in any way, shape or form - ever! Such abhorrent behavior is not in my character at all. I think all Foisters should be arrested and charged with Freason!"

Post of the day award to you!

With so many sources available to purchase radio equipment, I believe it would be next to impossible to track down the offender through this method. More concerned the the gent missed the part in his studies about not transmitting on unauthorized frequencies.

Last edited:

KD8DVR

Simple. When he goes to test. Record voices of candidates. Match to recording of incident. Busted. Area VE teams need advised of this.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

Hans13

And, furthermore, how does my opinion evolve into 'foisting' my acceptance of slavery onto you?

"If someone is not doing anything wrong, they have no qualms as to proving it by transparency."

Foisting.

Where we lead, the sheep will go.

Moving on.

Foist of all, let me be the foist to say that I do not, nor have I ever, foisted myself on anyone in any way, shape or form - ever! Such abhorrent behavior is not in my character at all. I think all Foisters should be arrested and charged with Freason!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.