Sun City Festival CCR's

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Has anyone had experience with Sun City Festival in Buckeye and their HOA regarding antennas on the outside of the home?

We are considering a home there and I see the CCR prohibits them except in "Federally permitted" situations that seems geared towards small dishes. They also require prior permission from the board for any exterior stuff. I haven't talked to the board, but have a copy of the CCR and HOA rules.

I think I could do fine with a couple exterior antennas, perhaps a dual band vertical and a decent scanner antenna, perhaps some sort of wire antenna for HF. I will likely have a few antennas in the attic, this doesn't require permission.

I am not interested in a massive tower but would like to put something on the roof. I don't want a big fight with the board over it but would like to know what experiences others may have had.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2339; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I would talk to a real estate attorney, and the HOA board, before considering buying a home there.
The FCC has only ruled that HOA's cannot prohibit small dish satellite antennas. I'm not even sure if regular Over-The-Air TV antennas are a part of the FCC's ruling, and I know they've been silent on antennas for Ham/CB/scanners/etc. outside of PRB-1 which only applies to zoning ordinances, not CC&R's. And of course, that's only for Ham radio, not scanners or any other antennas.
Good luck.

azwalt67

The State Legislature in 2012 defeated a bill (HB2615) that would have removed restrictions on Ham Radio and other antenna. It also defeated a bill in 2011 (HB2287) with basically the same wording. SB1277 was introduced in 2013 and did not go anywhere.

HOA's can still cite you for the antenna. The Over the Air Rules apply more to TV dishes like from DirecTV and DISH. I would contact the Community Manager at the Management Company to clarify the exact rules for Sun City Festival.

azwalt67

One last thing, as an FYI. That HOA is still under Declarant (builder) control, so the chances of them even considering changing the CC&R's would be slim, since the builder wrote them.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
CCR

I thought they were going to be pretty fussy up here in Vistancia but their CCR cites federal law which states any size tv antenna can go on the roof but cannot extend beyond the highest point of the roof. They also allow base station antennas that are not wider than 1 meter or again extend beyond the peak of the roof.

Ham Radio Outlet in Phoenix might be able to provide you with some documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.