Sun Sets Over the California Highway Patrol's Fleet of Ford Crown Victorias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well CHP hasn't made a decision yet on what car they are going to use, but it looks like it's going to be the dodge charger from what i'm hearing.

The 500-vehicle limit came, after an initial request for 732 black-and-whites and 10 white patrol cars was turned back by state adminstrators. Earlier this month, Peters successfully placed an order for 329 2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors (CVPI) in their final model year.

.http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Ve...nia-Highway-Patrol-s-2011-Fleet-Purchase.aspx

Last edited:

RolnCode3

Well CHP hasn't made a decision yet on what car they are going to use, but it looks like it's going to be the dodge charger from what i'm hearing.

The 500-vehicle limit came, after an initial request for 732 black-and-whites and 10 white patrol cars was turned back by state adminstrators. Earlier this month, Peters successfully placed an order for 329 2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors (CVPI) in their final model year.

.http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Ve...nia-Highway-Patrol-s-2011-Fleet-Purchase.aspx

The 2012 V8 Charger failed LASO's test. Has CHP not had similar problems? I've been wondering what their plans are.

LowBat

Premium Subscriber
This so reminds me when the Dodge Monaco (the common cop car of the day) was discontinued in the late 70's. The CHP didn't like anything else at the time so they kept repairing them far past the normal replacement cycle.

Currently you can look in your rear view mirror at night, and if you know what to look for, will recognize the pattern of a crown victoria headlight framed on both sides by amber parking lights. This is a sign you may have a LEO behind you. 30+ years ago you would be looking out for slightly smaller than usual rectangular headlights set high above some rather large amber parking lights (Dodge Monaco).

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
It's sad to see the CVPI go, just like the Fury I,II,III models of the 60's-70's, the Fury,Grand Fury,Coronet, Monaco and Grand Monaco of the 70's -80's. Lets not forget the Caprice as Chevy took a real beating for years over that discontinue decision. I know NYPD refused to but Chevy's for years after that debacle.
While I have one of each, a CVPI and Charger PI, I still prefer the CVPI for room and comfort. The Charger is a real sports cars, but suffers from being too tight making it a little uncomfortable to be in 8 hours a day. Anyway a great police car, as the Charger line is descended from the FIRST! Police Intercepter (Fury I in 1967) as I have an emblem off of one stating so. LOL
I was wondering what LASO didn't like about the car, it excelled at Michigan this year, with top honors in overall fastest lap times in both the V-8 and V-6 models.

K3HY

Premium Subscriber
I remember how distinctive the sound that those specially made vehicles had.
As kids we could hear the sound of them from the next street over, in between houses on the next street.
Not sure whether it was the engine or transmission sound, but sure enough that sound announced when the police were close.
They might encrypt the radios, but I don't think they encrypted those car sounds yet. LOL

karldotcom

No way, CHP will get the Police Taurus. No brainer.

(I am a Chevy guy myself, but they are big delays in the Chevy Caprice Police Package as it comes from Australia then has to be outfitted in So Cal...I understand it is 6 months minimum)

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
My wife drives a Ford 500 AWD (predecessor to this gen of the Taurus, and the police car of choice in the EU), the car is extremely good in all kinds of weather here in the Northeast. The Taurus AWD PD sounds interesting as it will have no tourqe steer, and if the transaxle can withstand the punishment of police service, it could be a winner.

Thayne

I wonder if others than Ford will get into parts for the now orphaned Crown Vics--Just think of the market for parts with all the old taxis & police cars :p

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Aftermarket parts have been out for years . The last body style was mostly unchanged from 1998-2011.

sepura

Premium Subscriber
Ford 500? Police car choice in the EU... ha. I don't think so. :) I am from England and been all over the EU most police cars in England are Vauxhalls, Fords Volvo, newly some Jaguars, Germany mostly BMW and Mercs, France is all French cars... NL's Volkswagens...

RolnCode3

Ford 500? Police car choice in the EU... ha. I don't think so. :) I am from England and been all over the EU most police cars in England are Vauxhalls, Fords Volvo, newly some Jaguars, Germany mostly BMW and Mercs, France is all French cars... NL's Volkswagens...

Ummm...Huh? There are only a few pursuit rated vehicles available in the US, and we don't exactly look to EU for direction on police vehicles. Not that some of them might not be good police vehicles.

The Taurus is Ford's pursuit vehicle, which is why it's one of the likely candidates. Chevy's Caprice has a stupid floor shifter which automatically makes it a likely poor choice in my book. Not many options after that.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I was wondering what LASO didn't like about the car, it excelled at Michigan this year, with top honors in overall fastest lap times in both the V-8 and V-6 models.

Brakes failed during one of the 8 lap evolutions...like pedal to floor and no stopping failed.

Any car that can't complete the evolutions is failed.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

CHP Hoarders!

Just kidding, I think its a smart move for them to have all those Crown Vics.

n8zcc

The 2012 V8 Charger failed LASO's test. Has CHP not had similar problems? I've been wondering what their plans are.

What the heck is a LASO test? An references to the test results?

I don't know of any police vehicle testing more complete or rigorous that what the Michigan State Police put the vehicles (and motor bikes) through. All or the vehicles were very close with the typical differences between models including the Charger. You can view the full report for the 2012 models which include the new versions from Ford at:

MSP - Police Vehicle Evaluation

I am surprised that CHP would want to purchase a large quantity of the old gas-guzzlers specially now that we can see where gas prices are going. The new Fords get much better MPG and handling over the old Vic. Add in the configurations for equipment and officer comfort and you have a home run. I am a bit biased since I worked on the new Ford police vehicle programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.