Super Antenna MP1 help needed

KF0AWL

Hobo
I bought a used super antenna mp1 at a hamfest for my POTA and portable work its a early version far as I can tell but I'm having some major issues getting it to tune. (Didn't come with the plastic guide gage)
I went out yesterday to try to try it out with my mfj analyzer and set the freq and tried to tune the swr with the slider and couldn't seem to get anywhere with it.
As a example I was trying to tune 20m in the approximate area and had a reading of 5 something swr! (Slider was closer towards the bottom of the coil) I tried slowly moving it up the coil and it wouldn't change. Finally I moved it all the way up the coil and it only moved .1 SWR! Something like this happened to different degrees on all bands.
I came home and put my multi meter to it and everything had good connectivity top to bottom of coil, slider and everything together.
Anyone have any idea? Could it be the meter? I'm at a loss...

prcguy

The original Super Antenna was designed and sold by a guy named Vern who I’ve chatted with many times then somehow the current owner got the rights to the name and seemed to push the original inventor out. I don’t think a tuning ruler for the current version is useable with the original version.

Do you have the proper mast section below the coil and whip on top? Do you have an antenna analyzer? That will tell you if and where the antenna is resonating at any given point. If the antenna doesn’t resonate and have a reasonable match somewhere with the coil at mid point with counterpoise then something is broken.

KF0AWL

Hobo
The original Super Antenna was designed and sold by a guy named Vern who I’ve chatted with many times then somehow the current owner got the rights to the name and seemed to push the original inventor out. I don’t think a tuning ruler for the current version is useable with the original version.

Do you have the proper mast section below the coil and whip on top? Do you have an antenna analyzer? That will tell you if and where the antenna is resonating at any given point. If the antenna doesn’t resonate and have a reasonable match somewhere with the coil at mid point with counterpoise then something is broken.
Yup I had the mini pod then the extension rod then the coil then the extendable whip.
I tried a solid whip (not a fan of section extendable antennas) I tried aluminum screen in place of the counterpoise wires. Nothing helped.
As far as the coil wires or slider being broken I came home and tested the coil end to end good connection, slider from pickups to top connection good slider on the coil good. Wondering if my mfj analyzer is on the fritz 🤷

RFI-EMI-GUY

How does one know if they have the original MP-1? I have one NIB I received perhaps over 10 years ago.

prcguy

How does one know if they have the original MP-1? I have one NIB I received perhaps over 10 years ago.
Not sure, the current version is made in China and I thought the original was made in the US. I would study pictures of the current version and see if yours has anything different like chrome plating vs bare metal, etc.

KF0AWL

Hobo
Just a update, I finally realized there is a nylon insert in the base puck that insulate the antenna that had been stuck in upside down either by the former owner or somehow slipped in just right so it was shorted. Popped it out and placed it back in the right way and now it's a awsome antenna!

doc62

Glad you found the problem. I bought my 15 years ago and it still tunes up nicely. I did buy one of the plastic rulers and it gets me close, but noting makes it any easier than using a RigExpert Antenna analyzer.

KF0AWL

Hobo
Glad you found the problem. I bought my 15 years ago and it still tunes up nicely. I did buy one of the plastic rulers and it gets me close, but noting makes it any easier than using a RigExpert Antenna analyzer.
Do you have the 80m add on coil? I was thinking of trying it last night but I'm not sure how to set the tune coil with the card!
Do you put the notch on the left at the bottom of the 80 coil and measure or the bottom of the super slider or what 🤔