Superbowl XLVI - Indianapolis - February 5, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed a few mentions of a Customs and Border Patrol helicopter "patrolling" the downtown Indianapolis area, so I'm going to ask a potentially dumb question...

What interest does the CBP have in the Super Bowl? Indianapolis is a ways from any international border. Or is their aerial surveillance capabilities just being used by other agencies?

CBP is part of the overall federal security response to the Super Bowl. The event is considered a National Security Special Event and has multiple federal agencies as part of the whole event security package. CBP Air & Marine is involved primarily because they have one of the largest federal agency air forces, and can supply air assets and live video downlinks to the Regional Operations Center. In past Super Bowls, they also practiced landing counterassault teams at the stadiums sometime prior to Super Sunday...

The FBI, Secret Service, ICE, US Postal Inspectors, FEMA and the EPA are all involved with Super Bowl security operations as well. Also keep an eye/ear out for National Guard units, some specializing in chemical or biological incidents to be active around the stadium and downtown.

- Chris

Last edited:

ecps92

170.1000 [Net 37 or Net 41] might be the input for 165.6875 that Chris and others have reported.

Customs is involved in investigating counterfeit merchandise, tickets and other intellectual property rights. The Super Bowl is a major target for people who counterfeit.

Also, Indianapolis International Airport has a Customs and Border Patrol facility. They are largely involved in the Fed Ex facility for searching packages.

I heard testing on 170.1000, P25 in the clear and encoded today. Calling Charlie 100. Couldn't hear very well. So, I couldn't get a whole lot more info from the convo.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I know it's early but in relation to your aviation posts don't forget about America's finest doing circles in the air on Sunday to support the TFR. You lucky dogs!!!! Btw, is the Lucas Oil Stadium an new open air stadium or is it the Dome renamed? Thanks.

IndyRick

Corn, it's a domed stadium, but it has a retractable roof...but unless we have REALLY amazing weather, it'll be closed on Sunday. It's a new facility, not the old Hoosier/RCA dome. BTW...was is TFR?? I'm sure it's something simple but I can't figure out what that means. :)

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Corn, it's a domed stadium, but it has a retractable roof...but unless we have REALLY amazing weather, it'll be closed on Sunday. It's a new facility, not the old Hoosier/RCA dome. BTW...was is TFR?? I'm sure it's something simple but I can't figure out what that means. :)

Thanks IndyRick. TFR is Temporary Flight Restriction. Usually in effect 30 mins to an hour before the event until the same amount of time after said event. It's usually the same as a Presidential TFR which is an imaginary boundary 30 NM circumference and up to but not including 18000 ft. And all it does is keeps unauthorized aircraft out of the effected area. And in all past Super Bowls AFTER 9/11 the TFR has been enforced by USAF F-15, F-16 or F-22 aircraft or a combination. As well as the air assets of the CBP. Possibly an AWACS up but more than likely just using the ground station (HUNTRESS) tapped into local ATC for radar coverage. It'll be fun listening for those that are in the vicinity. Far cry from what we get down here in BOREVILLE, USA. 260.9 will be a good freq to start out with. And Chris P can load u up on all you'll need to hear the CAP and then some.

K9WG

This morning at about 710 local, I heard "Air 1" talking to "Air 2" on 123.45....the appeared to be over Lucas as they were exchanging GPS coords, then Air 1 told air 2 to go to discrete. I did some searching, but never did find where there had changed over to. Any ideas?
Air 1 is active on IDPS S1-T01 System 1 Tactical 01 Talkgroup 10012
31JAN2012 1405Z

Sounds like he is transmitting video to command center

IndyRick

Well, thanks, Corn! I did an epic facepalm when you told me what it was. I either didn't get enough sleep last night, or not enough caffeine yet this morning. :)

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
OMAHA 04 just came up on DNET 12 (166.5875 MHz, N301) a few minutes ago (12:45 PM CST)...

- Chris

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Media Day

Just kicking back after a day at Lucas Oil Stadium. My new 396xt picked up 464/469.0875-d143 as the freq used by security at the event. Is this just for the Super Bowl? I would think security would be using the LTR system. Also, some unpublisher TGs on the Indy PS system like: 10005 & 10006 both being tested yesterday an today. By the way, where is the fire traffic heard? I hear a female robo voice giving out alarms on 10202, but I think that's the county dispatch, right? Which are the fire ops TGs for IFD?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator

AK9R

Super Moderator
In the interest of sharing information for all who read this thread, yes, all fire and EMS runs in Marion County are dispatched on the same talkgroup. Fire protection and EMS coverage in Marion County is handled by the Indianapolis Fire Department and Indianapolis Emergency Medical Services along with independent fire departments for the towns of Beech Grove, Lawrence, and Speedway and the townships of Decatur (far southwest), Wayne (far west), and Pike (far northwest). All of these departments use the same radio system and share the same dispatch center.

AK9R

Super Moderator
And in all past Super Bowls AFTER 9/11 the TFR has been enforced by USAF F-15, F-16 or F-22 aircraft or a combination. As well as the air assets of the CBP....It'll be fun listening for those that are in the vicinity...260.9 will be a good freq to start out with.
At least one Indianapolis TV station is reporting that the USAF will be "practicing" over downtown Indianapolis on Wednesday evening after 7pm in preparation for Sunday.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
At least one Indianapolis TV station is reporting that the USAF will be "practicing" over downtown Indianapolis on Wednesday evening after 7pm in preparation for Sunday.

Cool - I guess we should start looking for some Combat Air Patrol activity tonight, then...

- Chris

IndyRick

The Goodyear Blimp will not be making the trip to Indy for the Super Bowl. The word from them is "Projected weather patterns are not conducive to blimp activity". Too bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.