Supernews (Usenet/Newsgroups) sells out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
First of all, just a new announcement,

Giganews has brought the commercial accounts of Supernews, so now ISPs who outsourced to Supernews, now outsource to Giganews.

The consumer accounts now to go a newly formed company called Supernews, Inc.

http://www.criticalpath.net/en/43/news/?news=1116306

ON A SITE NOTE QUESTION I HAVE OF THE MERGER IN CASE ANYONE HERE HAS ATLANTIC BROADBAND OR THEIR ISP DEALS WITH ECHOLABS:

My ISP, Atlantic Broadband uses a company called EchoLabs for their newsgroup and email servers. EchoLabs always went through Supernews now Giganews.

Does anyone know, if the corp.supernews.com server will have 200 day retention now? I've been only able to see up to 100 days.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of newsgroups....

Speaking of newsgroups, does anyone hear know a quick and dirty method of finding out the retention rate of a new server?

My ISP is Atlantic Broadband.

They get their news server through EchoLabs.

EchoLabs gets theirs through the old Supernews corporate which is now Giganews commercial.

I contacted Giganews support and EchoLabs. EchoLabs never replied and Giganews said I have to contact my ISP. My ISP never got back to me and I really don't think they know what the retention is and most of the techs on the phones don't even know how to use the newsgroups, and didn't even know that EchoLabs provided the newsgroups for them.

I looked at various groups and the age limit only seems to be 100.8 or so days.

I always believed Giganews had 200 day retention but I tried to download something that was 184 days old and it said not on server.

Could it just not be on the server because Giganews just converted the old Supernews to a Giganews and they only put 100 days worth of stuff on or something and it will eventually go to 200 days?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Red, quite likely nothing has changed but the ownership the same as when my old ISP was bought out. Well one thing did, the new guy started automatic bank withdrawal billing that socked it to me after I failed to renew the contract. Thankfully I didn't have to raise hell very high for him to kick back the money he stole from me when I mentioned the legal definition of fraud, theft by deception. Never mind the tech end of it, that's the tail and that end only poops on you. Watch the business end, that's the one that bites.

Last edited:

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Stuff did change....

Well in this case stuff did in fact change. All the headers had to be renewed and stuff before was only available if it was less than 35 days. Now you can go as high as 100 days.

This makes me feel that they probably will go with 200 days like all the Giganews servers seem to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.