• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Support for TDMA P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccon

Is TDMA a requirement for P25 Phase 2? The last time I read something on phase 2 it only mentioned using a narrower bandwidth - 6.26KHz to comply with the 2013 narrowbanding rules. I didn't see anything about having to be TDMA. Now I may be behind the times, but isn't TDMA an old technolgy, a modulation format, that cell companies got away from because of technical limitations?
A new wide area P25 system going up in my area on 700MHz and they are using 6.25MHZ width with LSM.
Also, if TDMA were a requirement, wouldn't it be an open format that reciever manufacturers could adopt for the open market using P25?
BG..
The term 'TDMA' is too generic as there are many different modulation formats that are employed in TDMA systems, with new ones still being developed/implemented.

N

N_Jay

The term 'TDMA' is too generic as there are many different modulation formats that are employed in TDMA systems, with new ones still being developed/implemented.

Close:

Yes TDMA is too generic to use in the form it is being used.
There are many different TDMA based air interface formats,
that use many different modulation formats,
and,
many different TDMA channel coding formats,
that,
carry many types of information,
some of which are vocoded voice,
and
those you many different vocoder formats.

ButchGone

Certainly not trying to be confrontational NJay, but the new P25 700MHz system being built in Tennessee is in fact using 6.25KHz spacing and it is not TDMA or anything like it.
It is licensed to the City of Chattanooga (got federal grants to build regional system).
As an example, call sign WQKQ-452 shows:

ULS License - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQKQ452 - City of Chattanooga - Locations Summary

There are several other call signs listed for the City of Chattanooga that clearly show they are using 6.25KHZ spacing for this new system. It's all P25, LSM format.
It has nothing to do with the way a Uniden scanner hears it.
That's why I am not convinced there is a mandate to use TDMA for P25 Phase 2.
If there is such a mandate, please give a link to the information! Where is this written?
I know there can be a lot of confusion, because radio manufacturers are trying to make the sale by telling public safety agencies half-truths. Like the one about "the government is mandating digital by 2013!"
Motorola and Kenwood are making a killing by selling unsuspecting public safety agencies TRBO and NXDN that are not interoperable with anyone else in their regions.
Cheers!

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
All of the frequencies on that license show 8K10F1E which is a bandwidth of 8.10 kHz, not 6.25 kHz, and is a common P25 FDMA emission as listed on several Motorola P25 FDMA-only products.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...ic Files/R3-4-2003K_XTS2500_1.pdf?localeId=33

Nobody today is shipping FDMA P25 voice at 6.25 kHz bandwidth. There isn't a mandate for TDMA for 700 MHz 6.25e narrow-banding, but that is how all of the manufacturers will be shipping it.

P25 phase II will be TDMA. Look at the docs.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Certainly not trying to be confrontational NJay, but the new P25 700MHz system being built in Tennessee is in fact using 6.25KHz spacing and it is not TDMA or anything like it.
It is licensed to the City of Chattanooga (got federal grants to build regional system).
As an example, call sign WQKQ-452 shows:

ULS License - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQKQ452 - City of Chattanooga - Locations Summary
As pointed out, 8K10F1E is a standard emission designator for P25 Phase 1.
I don't know where in that license you get any indication that the system is 6.25 kHz.

There are several other call signs listed for the City of Chattanooga that clearly show they are using 6.25KHZ spacing for this new system
How so?
Please explain what you are interpreting to indicate it is 6.25 kHz.

It's all P25, LSM format.
I am not disagreeing with that.

It has nothing to do with the way a Uniden scanner hears it.
It is P25 Phase1, that is why the Uniden receives it.

That's why I am not convinced there is a mandate to use TDMA for P25 Phase 2.
You haven't read what I posted carefully enough.

700 MHz will need to be 6.25 kHz or 6.25e (2 slot TDMA at 12.5 kHz).
All currently implemented systems are (or should be) working under STAs or waivers to allow 12.5 kHz operation until 6.25e can be achieved.

There is nothing here to convince anyone of anything else.

If there is such a mandate, please give a link to the information! Where is this written?
Check out the rules written by any of the 700 MHz Regional Planning Committees (RPCs)

I know there can be a lot of confusion, because radio manufacturers are trying to make the sale by telling public safety agencies half-truths.
There is far more confusion caused by people who try to explain things they "half-understand".

Like the one about "the government is mandating digital by 2013!"

I work with this stuff every day, and talk to the vendors all Te time, and I have NEVER heard that first hand, but I can't count the number of times it has been repeated to me second hand.
It is a classic case of whisper down the lane.

Sure, the sales guy may not do the best job explaining, or over simplifies, but the rampant repeating of these falsehood happens far more on the user side then on the vendor side.

Motorola and Kenwood are making a killing by selling unsuspecting public safety agencies TRBO and NXDN that are not interoperable with anyone else in their regions.
And a lot of agencies are making bad decisions on the recommendations of their internal "experts".

As always.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Yes. Because motorola said so.

Let's explore this a bit so I can have a better understanding for your source of this information. I have two questions:

What makes you believe that Motorola said or dictated that Phase II is TDMA, and that this differs from what the EIA/TIA standards documents describe?

According to your understanding of the standards documents, what is P25 phase II if it is not a technological change to TDMA, and what EIA/TIA standards document supports this?

N

N_Jay

Of the major manufacturers, who besides motorola supports tdma?

All! (Since TIA Standards are developed through consensus)

And I believe that M/A-COM (now Harris) and EADS also submitted TDMA proposals for consideration. (Other may have also).

The resulting standard contains harmonized concepts from all three proposals, and other inputs.

Last edited:

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
Re:

You know what I meant..

Is 7.3 kHz of "occupied bandwidth" atypical of P25? They just granted the license yesterday and im wondering if it could be anything other than P25.
I take the short answer is yes, because the designator doesn’t tell the technology just the emission characteristics.... so.... would this designator be "common" for anything else?

Im thinking some fat phase II, skinny narrowband... or a typo

Status
Not open for further replies.