• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Support for TDMA P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
It might be possible for the radio firmware to be updated. Uniden may decide to offer an upgrade or decide to sell you a new radio instead. It may be that the radio's firmware capacity is limited - ie. not enough room for such an upgrade as this. This is a question for Uniden.

What I'm hoping for. I would like a 996XT but I can't see spending $500 on a scanner that might be replaced in a year or so with one that will do TDMA. If Uniden comes out with a firmware that will support TDMA with the x96XT models, I'll get another.

fireant

So with every thing being said would it be wise to hold off purchasing a new digital scanner? Needing a base unit but hate to drop $500 if things are going to change??

fireant

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
So with every thing being said would it be wise to hold off purchasing a new digital scanner? Needing a base unit but hate to drop $500 if things are going to change??

fireant

That really depends on what's happening in your area. In this regard, the recession is our friend - local governments are short on funds for new toys, so if you've already got a Phase I system in your area, it will probably be around for a while, and you'll probably be OK getting a Phase I base scanner for now. I'd do a bit of research with your local agencies (their websites are often surprisingly helpful in this regard) and see how far off a Phase 2 system is for your area before making a purchasing decision.

-AZ

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The only Phase II P-25 system I kow will be done as soon as the FCC and APCO get the finalized guidelines on implementation done is the MSWIN system. The RFP called for this entire TRS to be fully Phase II ready. MWCC has stated that as soon as possible when the guidelines etc are set, the full changeover will occur. The radios are currently a mix of XTS2500's and thier mobile counterparts, and they have the APX7000's and thier counterparts arriving. Currently it is operating in Phase I FDMA mode, but that will change as soon as the standardization of TDMA is done. Officially its supposed to happen in 2017. That gives the government 7 years to get everything set up. I am hopeful that GRE, and Uniden both can adapt and have TDMA capable gear within a year of the changes. Until then there may be a few other systems experimenting with TDMA, but their not finalized until the guidelines etc are in place , so we still have time. An interesting note is that both the TDMA for TRS's and the switch in VHF to 6.25 narrowbanding are "officially" the same time, in 2017. So by then scanning technology quite possibly will be very close to being able to keep up wih the changes. The cries of doom and gloom that accompanied the implementation of FDMA APCO P-25 were short lived, so will the "end of scanning" paranoia on this. As far as the encryption worries, everyone is not going to fully encrypt everything. Yes a lot more agencies are doing this now,.. But its still not going to be everyone.

N

N_Jay

There is NO DATE SET for any requirement to transition to 6.25 kHz except for 700 MHz.
NONE for VHF!!!!!!

The first fully Phase 2 system is likely to be sometime in 2011 or 2012. It will likely be a NEW SYSTEM, as to not have to deal with legacy subscriber equipment.

It could be an upgraded system if an agency were to make the commitment to all new subscriber equipment.

It will certainly be well before 2017.

gesucks

The only Phase II P-25 system I kow will be done as soon as the FCC and APCO get the finalized guidelines on implementation done is the MSWIN system. The RFP called for this entire TRS to be fully Phase II ready. MWCC has stated that as soon as possible when the guidelines etc are set, the full changeover will occur. The radios are currently a mix of XTS2500's and thier mobile counterparts, and they have the APX7000's and thier counterparts arriving. Currently it is operating in Phase I FDMA mode, but that will change as soon as the standardization of TDMA is done. Officially its supposed to happen in 2017. That gives the government 7 years to get everything set up. I am hopeful that GRE, and Uniden both can adapt and have TDMA capable gear within a year of the changes. Until then there may be a few other systems experimenting with TDMA, but their not finalized until the guidelines etc are in place , so we still have time. An interesting note is that both the TDMA for TRS's and the switch in VHF to 6.25 narrowbanding are "officially" the same time, in 2017. So by then scanning technology quite possibly will be very close to being able to keep up wih the changes. The cries of doom and gloom that accompanied the implementation of FDMA APCO P-25 were short lived, so will the "end of scanning" paranoia on this. As far as the encryption worries, everyone is not going to fully encrypt everything. Yes a lot more agencies are doing this now,.. But its still not going to be everyone.

WAY TO MUCH WRONG INFORMATION IN THIS POST
1 FCC has NOTHING to do with TDMA
2 There are at least 5 statewide and many local system RFP's out right now that call for a Phase II system
3 There is NO requirement for anyone in any band to ever go to TDMA.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Also the date for transition for P-25 Phase II for trunking is 2017. This is official, and is even mentioned in the minutes of the Mississippi Wireless Communications Commission meetings. See the MS Forum for the MSWIN for links to minutes.

N

N_Jay

Also the date for transition for P-25 Phase II for trunking is 2017. This is official, and is even mentioned in the minutes of the Mississippi Wireless Communications Commission meetings. See the MS Forum for the MSWIN for links to minutes.

That is just the end date for non-6.25e on 700 MHz.
Has no impact on any other band and does not specifically require TDMA (although that is the way most expect to meet the 6.25e requirement.).

ka8ypy

That's all well and good, but what are the timelines from the APCO P-25 committee and its minutes?

N

N_Jay

That's all well and good, but what are the timelines from the APCO P-25 committee and its minutes?

What time-lines, which committee?

There are lots different dates for lots of different things, so it is hard to answer too general of a question.

RADIOUSER5

Premium Subscriber
While Phase II P25 calls for backward compatibility with FDMA P25, do I understand correctly that subscriber units such as 1500s, 2500s, and 5000s will not be upgradeable to Phase II TDMA and thus will not be useable on 700 MHz TDMA systems after 2017 6.25e? This would mean current purchases would only have a life of six years rather than 15 years as many plan.

radiofan1

While Phase II P25 calls for backward compatibility with FDMA P25, do I understand correctly that subscriber units such as 1500s, 2500s, and 5000s will not be upgradeable to Phase II TDMA and thus will not be useable on 700 MHz TDMA systems after 2017 6.25e? This would mean current purchases would only have a life of six years rather than 15 years as many plan.

Buy Motorola stock.

RADIOUSER5

Premium Subscriber
You don't have interop unless you have agreement and a tested operations plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.