• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Surefire/Streamlight Flashlight Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear105

Anybody have any experience with the Surefire or Streamlight flashlights? I hear that they are very good but I see they are quite expensive. Most are >$100 and some >$300. I have been a Maglite user for years and wonder if there is a difference that is worth the price?

Finally...I also noted that there was a Maglite conversion kit to add a Luxeon bulb in a Maglite...A cheaper solution?? http://www.batteryjunction.com/mikitwi1walu.html

nexus

there are a couple of members on here that have several, in fact seem fanatical about them. I know one guy posted in the pictures forum and showed off his home station and surrounding them were several of those flash lights.

I hear they're very good quality. Well worth the money

nd5y

You would be better off asking about flashlights at one of these sites
http://www.candlepowerforums.com
http://www.flashlightreviews.com

I bought Maglite brand 3W LED replacement "bulbs" for 2D and 3D cell Maglites for less than $19 and NiteIze 3-LED replacement for 2AA mini Maglite for less than 5$ at Wal-Mart. They were both better than some I paid $40 and $30 for online several years ago.

Last edited:

rhutch

I have 4 Surefires they're great, streamlights are about the same as mag lights and not even close to Surefires, there are others that arequal to or better than surefires, like someone mentioned earlier go check out candlepower forum.

slkrueck

I have both Maglights and a Surefire Z2 Combat light. There is a big difference in my opinion in the quality of light that is emitted from the Surefire. It will definately stop someone in their tracks when used at night.

Bentley

The quality of the stramlight cannot be compared to the maglite in my opinion. I have had many mags over the years, and I recently purchased a SL-20X and was VERY pleased. The difference in brightness and distance is unbelievable.

overlord1

I have 6 Surefire lights (incan & LED) and they simply cannot be beat. They are built like tanks and can take abuse like you would not believe. Surefire has unbeatable customer service and a lifetime warranty as well. I have called their customer service department on several occasions to inquire about purchasing replacement parts and every time they have simply mailed them to me free! For most people it seems silly to spend more than $20 on a flashlight, but once you have you won't want to go back to cheaper lights like Mag Light.

Last edited:

DaveH

I guess I'm a cheap flashlight sort of guy...don't need them for
professional use, just for around the house,car etc. Flashlights
seem to be like sunglasses, get an expensive pair and they get
lost, get a cheap pair and they stick around.

Anyone seen this site?

http://www.ledshoppe.com/

I like the one with 68 LEDs.

Dave

Have a surefire C3 and use it for work and hunting LIghts up my yard no problem and will top anyone in the tracks. As training goes it is blind and bash.

Although I have a streamlight TlR1 mounted under my carry pistol. it does not come close to the light of my c3. Then again when confronted with light colored walls in the dark the C3 is overkill and the light is too much.

I have a Streamlight Stinger rechargebale and I love it, it is very bright and lasts a long time.
It was over $100 though, but well worth it.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Streamlight SL-20s: loved them at first, until they were dropped, then constant problems

Streamlight Stingers: same as above

Streamlight Scorpion: (not rechargeable) eats through batteries very quickly

Streamlight Stylus: Great LED penlight, no problems

Gregor

I have a streamlight TL-3 Xenon and it is absolutely a great light. Generally Streamlight makes a great product. Surefires seem to be of better quality, but I think they are extremely overpriced.

Also take a look at flashlightreviews.com for more information about quite a large variety of lights.

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have the Sreamlight Stylus penlight, the skinny one that uses 2 x AAAA batteries. Good light output and well made but the "white" led is a very old school one with decidedly heavy blue tint to the light.

I am big time into white led flashlights. Some of my best experience is to buy spearate leds that advertise being ultra white on ebay and....being happy with them, retrofitting them into purchased flashlights. Have many remarkable successes doing this. Tech advances being made seemingly monthly. They're always increasing in power output and whiteness.....slowly but surely getting rid of that blue tint to the light.

Great deal on an awesome little 9 led 2 x AA all aluminum flashlight at http://www.nonstopled.com

I have a 42 led 3 x D cell FL purchased from http://www.sportsmansguide.com for $35 that really lights up the night.

ReceiverBeaver

Banned
Yo DaveH,

TNX for the tip on the ledshoppe site. A nice handful of good looking flashlights cheap and free shipping to USA. Bought me one 10-4 TNX

Grog

Banned
rhutch said:
I have 4 Surefires they're great, streamlights are about the same as mag lights and not even close to Surefires,
Spoken like a true surefire snob :roll:

scanfan03

I got a Streamlight and Surefire E2 Outdoorsman. The Streamlight is rechargeable and is just a little bit less bright than my Surefire which is half the Streamlight's size. The Surefire eats through batteries though since it's not rechargeable.

dangitdoug

I own two Surefire 6P's. Best small flashlight around. I get as much light from these as I do from my Streamlight SLX20, a full size light. You can also buy the lithium batteries direct from Surefire for around $15.00 for 24 batteries. Price them in RS at around 10-11 dollars for two batteries.

Doug K

Status
Not open for further replies.