SURF CITY, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Hey, it has been a long time since Im was on this forum and I seem to have forgotten a lot. Trying to find a TGID for Surf City ,NC Police. Got one that says it is a talk around 36038 and tactical.
Got a Home Patrol II and many of the local Onslow County, Pender County, Topsail Island, Sheriff, Fire and PD are already programmed in butI thought Surf City , Pender County had more TGID's than 36038. Thanks for any help you can provide. Since Hurricane Florence monitoring has been very sporatic ....but I would like to get back in the groove. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I know this isn't much help, but seems to be a big hole in the database between 36029 and 36037 along with 36039, I'd either do a wildcard search or program those in and see what you hear. If you can ID the traffic please post to the database.

Noticed Top Sail has the same issue in the 3604x range.

As far as I know, Surf City PD and Topsail Beach PD only have one TG each for car-car and admin. The open slots are most likely unassigned TGs reserved for future use. No busier than SCPD and TBPD are, they don't need any more than 1 TG each....

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
I know this isn't much help, but seems to be a big hole in the database between 36029 and 36037 along with 36039, I'd either do a wildcard search or program those in and see what you hear. If you can ID the traffic please post to the database.

Noticed Top Sail has the same issue in the 3604x range.
Thanks so much. Not sure how to do a wildcat search. But I will program in the TGID's and see what happens. Will post if I hear anything.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, Surf City PD and Topsail Beach PD only have one TG each for car-car and admin. The open slots are most likely unassigned TGs reserved for future use. No busier than SCPD and TBPD are, they don't need any more than 1 TG each....
Thanks White Helmet. You have helped me out several years ago also. Much appreciated. I used to hear S/C on my old Radio Shack on somewhere around 153. before everyone went Viper. Nice to hear S/C when trying to get off the Island when lots of traffic and accidents are reported. Just like NTB PD a lot of these guys and gals use their cell phones to talk to each other. Of course NTB is dispatched thru OCSO which I get most of their stuff throughout the county.. Thanks again.

Jack,

Surf City and all LE in Pender was dispatched on 453.550 before the switch to VIPER. Surf City PD had a car-car channel on 453.200 and public works was on 453.725, Pender SO car-car was 453.1875 and Topsail Beach PD was 453.600. Topsail Beach also had a repeater for public works and their PD on 453.325, that was located on a tower at the old Pender East EMS & Rescue building on Hwy 17 just south of Country Club Rd, but Hurricane Florence knocked that tower over.

One thing to keep in mind that most VIPER radios in Pender County, especially the fire department radios may have simplex channels programmed in them. Since they don't go through any repeaters or the trunking system, you'd have to be very close to hear them and know what frequency they were actually on. I know the FD radios sad something like S1 S2 S3 and S4 in them when I was there back before 2013 when I moved to Jacksonville.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
That sounds like the four P25 700mhz "Direct" channels all counties are authorized to use in simplex. The NAC codes are supposed to be assigned based on the county, however a lot of counties are using the generic 293 NAC.

769.00625 M293 NACDIRECT 1Direct 1 P25 Interop
769.01875 M293 NACDIRECT 2Direct 2 P25 Interop
769.03125 M293 NACDIRECT 3Direct 3 P25 Interop
769.04375 M293 NACDIRECT 4Direct 4 P25 Interop

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Jack,

Surf City and all LE in Pender was dispatched on 453.550 before the switch to VIPER. Surf City PD had a car-car channel on 453.200 and public works was on 453.725, Pender SO car-car was 453.1875 and Topsail Beach PD was 453.600. Topsail Beach also had a repeater for public works and their PD on 453.325, that was located on a tower at the old Pender East EMS & Rescue building on Hwy 17 just south of Country Club Rd, but Hurricane Florence knocked that tower over.

One thing to keep in mind that most VIPER radios in Pender County, especially the fire department radios may have simplex channels programmed in them. Since they don't go through any repeaters or the trunking system, you'd have to be very close to hear them and know what frequency they were actually on. I know the FD radios sad something like S1 S2 S3 and S4 in them when I was there back before 2013 when I moved to Jacksonville.
Thanks White Helmet,
I do remember the 453 frequency and even when we were coming to TI for vacation in the early 90's I had it programmed in my Radio Shack scanner. Moved here permanently in 2007. We almost lost our house from Florence and many of my files with Scanner info were washed away. Took 7 months to get back in the house and I got out of the monitoring habit for awhile. Now trying to recover previous departments I had programmed in my Home Patrol II.

I created a new Favorite and plugged in all the 36029-36038 under S/C Title but when I transfer to Scanner thru ARC by Butel the scanner showed Nothing in that Favorite.

Noticed in another response from N1GAW Four Direct Channels. Not sure how/where to enter the 769 frequency. to see if anything is transmitted on those. I will also ask N1GAW for advice. As always..... Thanks for all your help.
Jack

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
That sounds like the four P25 700mhz "Direct" channels all counties are authorized to use in simplex. The NAC codes are supposed to be assigned based on the county, however a lot of counties are using the generic 293 NAC.

769.00625 M293 NACDIRECT 1Direct 1P25Interop
769.01875 M293 NACDIRECT 2Direct 2P25Interop
769.03125 M293 NACDIRECT 3Direct 3P25Interop
769.04375 M293 NACDIRECT 4Direct 4P25Interop
Thanks N1GAW, Pardon my ignorance but I do not know how to enter the 769 Frequencies into my Home Patrol II so I can see if we pick up Pender or Surf City Fire Dept. Still looking for S/C PD as well. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks so much.
Jack

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much. Not sure how to do a wildcat search. But I will program in the TGID's and see what happens. Will post if I hear anything.
Not having the Home Patrol or a Uniden I can't help you, but hopefully someone will chime in.
Jack,
Are you scanning with a Favorites list? Or just using the full database along with location & range?

If only using the main database (and location), then you would not be able to switch the system to ID Search.
If you are, instead, scanning a Favorites list, then you can make the switch.

If you have the Extreme Upgrade, then you can make the switch on the scanner.
On the scanner, press Menu
At the next screen, select Advanced Menu.
On the next screen (if you have the Extreme), select Advanced Options
From the next menu select Edit Favorites lists.
That will get you to a screen where you can select the list you that has the system you want to change.
Select the appropriate list
Then, you'll see a list of systems on that list.
Select the trunked system to change
Once you've selected the system, you'll get a list of what you can do.
use the Edit System Options
You will see ID Search at the top of the next display page, with an indication of whether it is set on or off. Set it to On
Then use the Back selection at the bottom of the display until you can see Listen and return to scanning.

If you do not have the Extreme Upgrade, you cannot make the change directly on the scanner. But you can, by making the change in Sentinel, then write the updated list to the scanner.
At the Main screen in Sentinel for the HP-1 & HP-2, Select Edit Favorites list. You can do that by either choosing that option under the drop-down Edit menu, or by selecting the icon that resembles a Star with a pencil on it
Choose the list you need to change
Once the Edit Favorites List screen opens, then select the system that you want to change.
Once you've selected the system, then select the Options tab for the system
You'll see the option there to choose ID Search or ID Scan.

Remember this when using ID Search or ID Scan

ID Scan stops only on talkgroups that are programmed, as long as they are not Avoided (locked out), and are not in a Department that is Avoided. The Service Type would need to be enabled as well.

ID Search stops on any active talkgroup, as long as it is not Avoided (you can Avoid (lockout) a talkgroup that is not programmed). If the talkgroup is already programmed, you would see the text tag that is associated with it. If the TGID is NOT programmed, then the 'text tag' would simply be the talkgroup ID (no descriptive text). As the unprogrammed talkgroups are not classified with a Service Type, you would hear any that are active

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Jack,
Are you scanning with a Favorites list? Or just using the full database along with location & range?

If only using the main database (and location), then you would not be able to switch the system to ID Search.
If you are, instead, scanning a Favorites list, then you can make the switch.

If you have the Extreme Upgrade, then you can make the switch on the scanner.
On the scanner, press Menu
At the next screen, select Advanced Menu.
On the next screen (if you have the Extreme), select Advanced Options
From the next menu select Edit Favorites lists.
That will get you to a screen where you can select the list you that has the system you want to change.
Select the appropriate list
Then, you'll see a list of systems on that list.
Select the trunked system to change
Once you've selected the system, you'll get a list of what you can do.
use the Edit System Options
You will see ID Search at the top of the next display page, with an indication of whether it is set on or off. Set it to On
Then use the Back selection at the bottom of the display until you can see Listen and return to scanning.

If you do not have the Extreme Upgrade, you cannot make the change directly on the scanner. But you can, by making the change in Sentinel, then write the updated list to the scanner.
At the Main screen in Sentinel for the HP-1 & HP-2, Select Edit Favorites list. You can do that by either choosing that option under the drop-down Edit menu, or by selecting the icon that resembles a Star with a pencil on it
Choose the list you need to change
Once the Edit Favorites List screen opens, then select the system that you want to change.
Once you've selected the system, then select the Options tab for the system
View attachment 85561
You'll see the option there to choose ID Search or ID Scan.

Remember this when using ID Search or ID Scan

ID Scan stops only on talkgroups that are programmed, as long as they are not Avoided (locked out), and are not in a Department that is Avoided. The Service Type would need to be enabled as well.

ID Search stops on any active talkgroup, as long as it is not Avoided (you can Avoid (lockout) a talkgroup that is not programmed). If the talkgroup is already programmed, you would see the text tag that is associated with it. If the TGID is NOT programmed, then the 'text tag' would simply be the talkgroup ID (no descriptive text). As the unprogrammed talkgroups are not classified with a Service Type, you would hear any that are active
[/QUOTE

Thanks HIEGTX
I am using my favorites list but do not have the Extreme Upgrade in the Home Patrol II . Also instead of Sentinal I am using ARC by Butel to create favorites.. I will try the Edit System Option and see if we can get some transmissions. Thanks , I will let you know. Appreciate all the detail.
Jack

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
[/QUOTEHey White Helmet,
Not sure what I screwed up....but after re-entering all of Pender county's TG into a couple of my favorites programmed thru ARC Patrol Software by Butel....I now get Nothing At All. No transmissions on Police, Fire or EMS. Silent. Left on Favorite Dept. for hours and Crickets. Silence! What have I now done wrong. Used P25 Trunk onto Home Patrol II. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I must have forgotten some steps over the last 12-18 months of not monitoring. Thanks in advance.

da2ricky

I've never used ARC Patrol but it sounds like you possibly fudged the control channel? I always found FreeScan to be super easy to use for programming, and its free. Not sure if it works with your scanner though.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Onslow County come in just fine. I get JPD JFD , ONCSO Dispatch,(Central) NTB All small Municipalities etc. Thought I Programmed Pender the same way but I get nothing from Surf City Pender SO EMS or anything in the 360TG Onslow in 340 is loud and clear. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

da2ricky

Onslow / Jacksonville are on their own system. Surf City and TOTB are on the states VIPER system. So you should have two separate systems programmed in, each with the control channel for the site closest to you. When I'm down near topsail beach I have the best luck with the Scotts Hill VIPER site.

Let me install ARC Patrol and I'll see if I can build out the two sites so you can compare settings.

Last edited:

da2ricky

Ok your systems should look something like this if you're monitoring both VIPER and the Onslow / Jacksonville system

I chose Scotts Hill as my site but you can use whatever is closest to you. One thing I noticed when I tried to import from RadioReference for the onslow system, it only had one site available and a limit number of talk groups. If you haven't paid for this software yet you may want to look at using FreeScan or even ProScan.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I will give that a shot. I have been using ARC for almost 8 years when I first bought Home Patrol II
Onslow / Jacksonville are on their own system. Surf City and TOTB are on the states VIPER system. So you should have two separate systems programmed in, each with the control channel for the site closest to you. When I'm down near topsail beach I have the best luck with the Scotts Hill VIPER site.

Let me install ARC Patrol and I'll see if I can build out the two sites so you can compare settings.
Ok your systems should look something like this if you're monitoring both VIPER and the Onslow / Jacksonville system

I chose Scotts Hill as my site but you can use whatever is closest to you. One thing I noticed when I tried to import from RadioReference for the onslow system, it only had one site available and a limit number of talk groups. If you haven't paid for this software yet you may want to look at using FreeScan or even ProScan.

View attachment 85811
[/

I spent the entire day, yesterday and a few hours this AM working on Home Patrol II and ARC Patrol Software and Radio Reference loading Sites, Departments, TG etc and STILL have no noise from anything in Pender County. What Have I missed. How do I make sure I have the right Control Channels loaded and the correct trunk system? Frustrated . Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jack

This is what my Favorite for Pender looks like.
View attachment 85812
Pender Favorite List

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.