Surry Co trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4jgc

Whenever I pass through Surry County, I have to lockout two freqs, 155.085 DCS 152 and 155.9625 DCS 115 because I am receiving a high pitched tone breaking the DCS. Is there anyone else having the same problem? Does the county still use those freqs in use by the Fire Dept and Sheriff Office respectively?

WB4EOT

Have also notice same problem described by KC4JGC. Passing through Surry County along Route 460 one can hear tone on 155.085 and 155.9625 Mhz. I have no idea what this could be.

W4UVV

It may be done deliberately

Whenever I pass through Surry County, I have to lockout two freqs, 155.085 DCS 152 and 155.9625 DCS 115 because I am receiving a high pitched tone breaking the DCS. Is there anyone else having the same problem? Does the county still use those freqs in use by the Fire Dept and Sheriff Office respectively?

I experience the same thing. There is no problem as far as Surry Co. is concerned. I do not know why as a fact but my guess is the 2,000 cycle tones are there deliberately to discourage people like from us from scanning or "sitting" on these frequencies. I previously have heard brief voice comms on both frequencies during the relatively few times they have been active. Of course, the tones momentarily mute during voice comms. 155.0850 mhz. is the county VFD ch. 2 and 155.9625 mhz. the county VFD Dispatch.

John

W4UVV

kc4jgc

Have also notice same problem described by KC4JGC. Passing through Surry County along Route 460 one can hear tone on 155.085 and 155.9625 Mhz. I have no idea what this could be.

I experience the same thing. There is no problem as far as Surry Co. is concerned. I do not know why as a fact but my guess is the 2,000 cycle tones are there deliberately to discourage people like from us from scanning or "sitting" on these frequencies.
Good to hear I'm not the only one. You're probably right about the purpose, John. I hear the tones while on US460 and on VA10.
W4UVV said:
....155.9625 mhz. the county VFD Dispatch.
Is the DB incorrect? It says that freq is the Sheriff Office F2.

W4UVV

Surry Co. frequencies

Good to hear I'm not the only one. You're probably right about the purpose, John. I hear the tones while on US460 and on VA10.

Is the DB incorrect? It says that freq is the Sheriff Office F2.

When Surry Co. was licensed for new frequencies a few years ago I tried to do off air monitoring to id whom I could. It certainly would make better sense for the SO to use it then the VFD. I am not keen on listening to a 2,000 cycle transmission for very long.. Maybe one day I will and see if I can get a user confirmation.
The RR database probably is correct for both frequency listings.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.