SVRCS Question Thread

baptistjcat

Has there been a talk group update for santa clara PD ? My scanner has been silent for a while. I have heard transmissions on line so there is some activity.

baptistjcat

Yes, i have a ws 1080. I usually dont have an issue with picking up santa clara execpt for dealing with simulcast distortion. I deal with that by adjusting my antenna around to pick up a signal. But for the last two nights l get sunnyvale clear but for santa clara im missing transmission.

Stealthguy05

Make sure you are locked on the West cell. Central cell seems to only carry SCPD when someone affiliates to that cell. Usually when someone goes to county jail it seems like.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Is anyone having issues monitoring Sunnyvale PD on the SVRCS system?

I have a set up in Cupertino area with a WBD-40 Discone Base Antenna connected to 6 Uniden BCD996P2's running RangeCast software.

Im picking up San Jose PD and numerous other municipalities but having severe audio issues in regards to Sunnyvale PD on the SVRCS system, whereas other channels on the system I'm monitoring are coming in 5x5.

Wanted to ask if there were any recommendations on improvement or if anyone else is experiencing the same?

kma371

QRT
Is anyone having issues monitoring Sunnyvale PD on the SVRCS system?

I have a set up in Cupertino area with a WBD-40 Discone Base Antenna connected to 6 Uniden BCD996P2's running RangeCast software.

Im picking up San Jose PD and numerous other municipalities but having severe audio issues in regards to Sunnyvale PD on the SVRCS system, whereas other channels on the system I'm monitoring are coming in 5x5.

Wanted to ask if there were any recommendations on improvement or if anyone else is experiencing the same?

What site are you monitoring?

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
What site are you monitoring?

I wouldn't know for sure, I'm using the Rangecast software to program and control the multiple scanners. According to the software when I select the channel it says Im 9 miles away, Not sure where they are measuring to exactly.

Stealthguy05

Cupertino and 9 miles away sounds like you are listening to the Central Cell. Try programming the West Cell and see what your results are. The closest tower to Cupertino should be Doyle and Lawrence. No issues with a 436 at De Anza and Stevens Creek.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Cupertino and 9 miles away sounds like you are listening to the Central Cell. Try programming the West Cell and see what your results are. The closest tower to Cupertino should be Doyle and Lawrence. No issues with a 436 at De Anza and Stevens Creek.

Not quite sure what this means, Or how to go about it? Looking at the database I don't see a specific "cell" listed. Mind PM'ing me the information or directing to a site with the info? Thanks.

kma371

QRT
Not quite sure what this means, Or how to go about it? Looking at the database I don't see a specific "cell" listed. Mind PM'ing me the information or directing to a site with the info? Thanks.

Look at the database again. There is a west cell (or site) and a central cell (or site). Each covers certain areas. One city may only be covered by one site, while another city by a different site. What we are suggesting is that site you are trying to monitor might not be the best site for the city you are trying to monitor.

ptburton11

Do the West and Central sites receiving the same traffic or is some traffic only on one site.

kma371

QRT
Do the West and Central sites receiving the same traffic or is some traffic only on one site.

I'm not 100% sure but I know EBRCS handles traffic regionally meaning not all traffic is heard on all Sites. It might be the same situation with Santa Clara system if he can't hear traffic clearly on one site compare to another. That's why he may need to listen to a different site

Stealthguy05

Seems like Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and Foothill-De Anza are on West by default. Only hear them on central intermittently. Vice Versa for the Encrypted traffic on TGID 1569

Calicrook

Anyone know TG4761 is? Not listed on the database was wondering if it was car to car traffic for SJSU. Sam15 was calling for San Jose dispatch just not sure

peon56

Simulcast issued in rivermark area.

Ok, just got the Yagi, here's my experience so far (just have had it set up for 30 mins or so) -

I don't have a stand yet for the Yagi (I cannot mount it outside), so I kind of just have it propped up and leaned against a lamp on my end table.

After playing around aiming it in different directions I think I found an orientation where I seem to get decent reception of SVRCS. Big difference!

Since the antenna is pretty precarious once I have it on a reliable stand and perfectly stable and vertical and I can rotate it precisely I think I can get the signal even better. It's not perfect right now, still get some clicks and pops and distortion but it's finally readable audio and many of the calls are perfectly clear. I'll turn on the error rate at some point to see.

And some other good news - the other conventional systems I monitor (Med 91, San Jose, Mountain View, etc) don't seem to be impacted too much! It's an 800MHz cellular Yagi, but I still pick up the 460MHz systems ok.

The conventional systems all come in much louder than the P25 system. I will have to mess with the volume offsets I think to balance them out.

I have a 436HP so the coax comes out the top. It's really stiff, and I don't want to stress the connector. It doesn't really stand upright well due to the coax pulling on it, so I have it laying on its back. I can keep it this way but then I can't easily read the screen.

What do people do in this case when you have a handheld?

Hi,
I live in the same area as you and have this same exact problem. What direction are your pointing you antenna too? Any landmarks will help me
Thanks.

hubdude

Cant hear SC frequencies.

I live on the border of San Jose and Santa Clara and I'm not able to pick any transmissions since I purchased my BCD536HP I've tried setting it to P25 Standard and P25 X2-TDMA. I'm getting great signal strength on both settings, but I'm not able to hear any traffic. Any suggestions?

I have a Undien BCD325 p2. When I'm in Santa Clara I can hear everything. I live 2 miles in north San Jose and can't hear anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Stealthguy05

Anyone else having increased difficulty monitoring the system from Los Gatos and/or Campbell recently? The signal strength has dropped significantly especially in Downtown LG