SVRCS Question Thread

dshafer1

Premium Subscriber
I live on the border of San Jose and Santa Clara and I'm not able to pick any transmissions since I purchased my BCD536HP I've tried setting it to P25 Standard and P25 X2-TDMA. I'm getting great signal strength on both settings, but I'm not able to hear any traffic. Any suggestions?

kma371

QRT
This thread is intended for questions regarding SVRCS. For example;

how to program
reception issues
etc

The other thread is intended for SVRCS updates.
For example;

Discussing users on the system
New talkgroups

Having seperate threads regarding SVRCS will help out some of the clutter in each, which is similar to what we did with the EBRCS thread.

Thanks

baptistjcat

I have the hand held WS 1080 and I have a hard time finding a signal in my house. I have to be patient when looking for one. If Move it just an inch or two I will lose it. The best place I receive a signal is on the arm of my couch with my antenna facing east at an horizontal angle.

mkewman

My understanding based on the publicly available info, he system is not fully deployed yet, so don't expect wonders in terms of reception unless you are right in Sunnyvale. If you are in San Jose, you're not going to get great reception. This will change soon. They are working on the SVRCS deployment right now.

Eng74

I live on the border of San Jose and Santa Clara and I'm not able to pick any transmissions since I purchased my BCD536HP I've tried setting it to P25 Standard and P25 X2-TDMA. I'm getting great signal strength on both settings, but I'm not able to hear any traffic. Any suggestions?

Did you load it into the 536HP from the database with the software? I did that with my 436HP while I was in San Jose in December and it worked fine. I was staying downtown by Original Joe's and was picking it up fine on the 436 and PSR-800.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have the band plan for the SVRCS system? I'm trying to use Unitrunker with a SDR, but the sensitivity on the sdr is horrible. With my rooftop antenna I pick the system up fine, but can't receive anytihng with the SDR :(

kmh603

That is because you need a Phase 2 Digital Scanner and Unitrunker will not decode the audio. You will get a signal but not audio. Be prepared to spend around $500 for a new scanner. Also I live near Los Gatos and I receive Sunnyvale/Santa Clara loud and clear.

jland138

Same as SMIRC (San Mateo County):

#Format: Table ID,Base Freq,Spacing,Input Offset,Assumed/Confirmed,BandWidth,Slots
00,851.00625,0.00625,-45.00000,"Confirmed",0.01250,1
01,762.00625,0.00625,30.00000,"Confirmed",0.01250,1
02,851.01250,0.01250,-45.00000,"Confirmed",0.01250,2
03,762.00625,0.01250,30.00000,"Confirmed",0.01250,2

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
If you are in San Jose, you're not going to get great reception.

Not necessarily the case. The tower at County communications pretty much covers all of san jose with on street coverage. Only area that is spotty for now is The Villages area. I can get reception from the county com site all the way to northern Morgan hill. You might want to upgrade your antenna if you are having difficulty. The County Com site and The Pruneyard site give great coverage to San Jose.

dshafer1

Premium Subscriber
Did you load it into the 536HP from the database with the software? I did that with my 436HP while I was in San Jose in December and it worked fine. I was staying downtown by Original Joe's and was picking it up fine on the 436 and PSR-800.

I loaded it straight from Sentinal. Not getting anything.

fmalloy

Same as SMIRC (San Mateo County):

#Format: Table ID,Base Freq,Spacing,Input Offset,Assumed/Confirmed,BandWidth,Slots
00,851.00625,0.00625,-45.00000,"Confirmed",0.01250,1
01,762.00625,0.00625,30.00000,"Confirmed",0.01250,1
02,851.01250,0.01250,-45.00000,"Confirmed",0.01250,2
03,762.00625,0.01250,30.00000,"Confirmed",0.01250,2
Confused about this - I'm looking for the voice frequencies for Santa Clara City PD/Fire. The database shows the control frequencies, but how do you determine the voice frequencies? I understand that it's trunked, but it doesn't show the frequencies for the talkgroups. Is it transmitted in a data packet by the control channels?

Is what you posted showing this (Base Freq)?

I'm guessing the voice channels are all in the 700-800MHz range.

kma371

QRT
Confused about this - I'm looking for the voice frequencies for Santa Clara City PD/Fire. The database shows the control frequencies, but how do you determine the voice frequencies? I understand that it's trunked, but it doesn't show the frequencies for the talkgroups. Is it transmitted in a data packet by the control channels?

Is what you posted showing this (Base Freq)?

I'm guessing the voice channels are all in the 700-800MHz range.

If you are programming a trunked system, you only need to enter the control channels and the scanner will determine the voice frequencies on its own by decoding the trunked system control data and adjust accordingly.

You would need to place the talkgroups you want to monitor in a scan list.

Pay no attention to the frequency table you quoted, that's not required.

What scanner are you using?

fmalloy

If you are programming a trunked system, you only need to enter the control channels and the scanner will determine the voice frequencies on its own by decoding the trunked system control data and adjust accordingly.

Understand that, but I want to know the voice frequencies so I can make sure I have an antenna that would cover the correct band/range optimally.

I assume since the control channels are in the 700MHz range that the voice frequencies would be in the same 700-800MHz range...?

fmalloy

Silicon Valley Regional Communications System (SVRCS) Trunking System, , California - Scanner Frequencies Everything you need to know in terms of frequencies is right there. Not sure what you mean about voice frequencies. This is a trunked system and each TGID is a virtual channel if you will based on the frequencies that are listed.
All I know is the control channels are in the 700MHz band. So to optimally receive SVRCS, should I get a 700-800MHz antenna for my handheld, like the RS 800MHz?

The problem is I like to listen to San Jose and other cities which are on 460MHz UHF.

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
Spectrum Force 700mhz SMA antenna has been really good on the system for me. It does have some trouble deep inside some buildings that previously had coverage on the old T-band, but i'm assuming those are dead spots on the system itself.

Oyabun

Premium Subscriber
fmalloy: Where in San Jose do you live? I live in South San Jose. I am using the Watson 881, Diamond SRH77CA, and can pick up everything P25 Phase I/II + 460 MHz. With no problems! I'm listening on a Uniden BCD436HP , GRE PSR-800 and other scanners. I even have a Diamond "Black Bullet" and a Comet "Miracle Baby" both @ 2"!! And can recieve all transmissions.
I listen to SJPD,SCCSO,CHP,LGPD,Milpitas,Gilroy, Mt.View, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, all of the South Bay pretty much! On a good day I can pick up Fremont, Newark!
I listened to a CHP chase one night from SJ to Gilroy ( 680-101 ), back up to Fremont (101-680 ) through Fremont to 84! Over the bridge into Foster City! Lost them in San Mateo ( Digital )Wasn't listening on my GRE PSR-800! Didn't have the Uniden BCD436HP yet! Wasn't simulcast either! Was on my BC346XTC with the Watson-881. I guess I'm pretty lucky with reception in my part of San Jose! I sometimes pick up CHP on the Khaki! ( Dublin ) 44.940. As far as I know it's not simulcast. Also Maroon 42.920 ( Martinez )
I also have 3 RS-800 antennas! They work great too! Not as good as the Diamond or Watson though.

fmalloy

fmalloy: Where in San Jose do you live? I live in South San Jose. I am using the Watson 881, Diamond SRH77CA, and can pick up everything P25 Phase I/II + 460 MHz. With no problems! I'm listening on a Uniden BCD436HP , GRE PSR-800 and other scanners. I even have a Diamond "Black Bullet" and a Comet "Miracle Baby" both @ 2"!! And can recieve all transmissions.
I listen to SJPD,SCCSO,CHP,LGPD,Milpitas,Gilroy, Mt.View, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, all of the South Bay pretty much! On a good day I can pick up Fremont, Newark!

I also have 3 RS-800 antennas! They work great too! Not as good as the Diamond or Watson though.
Wow, that's a lot of hardware!

I'm in Santa Clara, looking to pick up SC, SJ, Mt. View, Sunnyvale, etc. Currently using a BCD346XT which worked great until SC went P25. I'm using a Laird Antenex EXE821 which is for 860MHz, but SJ and the other cities are on 460UHF and I can still receive them.

I'm going to be getting the 436HP so I can get SC back again. Which rubber duck gives you the best reception for SVRCS?

Oyabun

Premium Subscriber
Either of the three I mentioned. I.E. the Diamond or Watson. The RS is good too, but I like the Watson or Diamond better. They are a
Twice as tall but pulls in better. For some reason the 2 stubbies I have come in good too. About as well as the RS800