SVRS systems, is LOJAK the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I see where DPS is trying to set-up a Stolen Vehicle Recovery System and I wonder if LOJAK is the only one doing that or are there others.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I see where DPS is trying to set-up a Stolen Vehicle Recovery System and I wonder if LOJAK is the only one doing that or are there others.

I haven't looked at LoJack in years. Back in the day, the transmitter was on 173.mumble (173.025?) and the company was giving PDs the doppler RDF sets for nothing. They are or were in the Boston area and every PD had at least one LoJack car. Ads on the radio all the time with stories of such and such PD finding a car within 6 minutes of the system being activated. That sort of thing.

I'm going to guess it's no longer VHF + RDF ...

KB7MIB

LOJACK is still active on 173.025. It is still used in the Phoenix, AZ metro area.
OnStar has SVRS capabilities, but an OnStar employee has to telephone your local LEA dispatcher and relay the location of the OnStar-equipped stolen vehicle, who then has to relay that to the officers. The officers don't have access to the GPS location info directly.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Well with the Freq's listed, LoJack it is. Sincce OnStar monitors their own network there would be no reason to build towers or install antennas locally.

n5bew1

It appears Lojack is licensed to the OK DPS callsign WQJI506. There are several antenna sites listed around OKC. The DCM tower at 72nd NE and Franklin Rd in Norman at 900 ft plus is one of them.

wtp

if youwant to hear them

try the freq of 173.075 the one that they are on.

onstar might be considered close with satellite reception.

Last edited:

n5ims

There's also a fed system that's similar to Lojack but is used to track money stolen in a bank robbery. The tracker is thrown into the money bag along with the exploding dye kits. It's pretty easy to tell if your local PD is set up to track them. One uses a triangular set of 3 - 1/4 wave VHF antennas and the other uses a square set of 4 - 1/4 wave VHF antennas. Often there will be both sets on the PD cars equipped for tracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.