SW BCB FM Radio DX'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I decided to get into monitoring DX on the 520 khz to 1710 khz AM BCB & the 88 MHz to 108 MHz FM band, must I use RG-6U 75 ohm coax cable with f connectors to connect my receiver to a 102" whip for AM & a 58" j-pole for FM or will RG-8X do?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
8X will do just fine, depending on what your receiver is. If you're using a stereo that's not an issue - a portable might be a problem since most aren't set up to handle a coax input.

You might want to consider making a box loop for AM DXing - a CB whip will bring in signals from all directions with no way to null out one signal from another (and it's not a particularly efficient antenna at these frequencies anyway). There are numerous plans on the web, and we have some linked in our Loops wiki...

Loops - The RadioReference Wiki

And while it's OT in this forum (FM DXing is more suitable in our skip/tropo forum), FM Yagis are not all that hard to build (no harder than a 2 meter beam - it's just a bit bigger), and for much the same reason as using a loop on MW. No doubt there are also articles on the subject on the web - and more than a few reviews can be found on the WTFDA website. This organization specializes in FM/TV DXing;

Official WTFDA Club Website - Technical Articles

best regards....Mike

haleve

Banned
Thanks Mike for your speedy & informative reply, I'm kinda burned out to trunked & conventional scanning right now so I thought I'd chase some AM & FM dx for a while, I live in an apartment so a yagi or long wire is out for the balcony, I have a 102" CB whip for AM & a 155 MHz j-pole for FM, I already have 25' each of RG-8X with PL259s for the antennas & spade lugs for the receiver so I guess I am good to go, thanks again.

haleve

Banned
AM BCB Antenna

I think I've learned the true meaning of KISS so help me here, I bought a Sherwood RX-4109 AM/FM receiver for DX chasing & everything I tried doesn't work, I figure I can just run a length of 16 guage wire out of my apartment window fed by a 6' length of RG-6 coax connected to the receiver, what length of wire would work for me for AM? Also any ideas for length for FM too? Pulling my hair on the 6th floor.

k9rzz

What problems are you having? (What's the beef, chief?)

#1 Apartment. Ugh.
#2 Tuner built with fidelity in mind as the priority. (horrible selectivity and loud signal handling characteristics)

For FM - build/buy/steal a simple dipole and try to get it outside if possible, nearest the window as a second best. From the 6th floor, you've got height on your side. Don't give up. #2 - FM ceramic filter mod - here's the same mod I did in my car stereo Project: Subaru Car Stereo FM filter mod.. *NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE* I kid you not.

For AM - does it come with a loop antenna? That will probably work best because frankly, it's probably going to suck on AM regardless because of #2 above.

Honestly, for AM and FM on a budget, you're probably better off going to the Goodwill, picking up an old car stereo for $5 and doing the FM filter mod. You could get a wiring harness, but for a $5 radio, I'd just solder onto the connectors in the back. Use your nice tuner for kicking out the jams which is what it's built for.

Last edited:

haleve

Banned
AM/FM DXing

You are probably right, I've researched this subject to death & it's either get a Grundig or Sony multiband rig or for a shoestring budget like mine get a car radio & connect it to a replacement car antenna, thanks for taking the time to wise me up, now I'm going to follow your earlier suggestion & join WTFDA, who do you belong to for AM DXing? I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

ridgescan

I have one of these and suggest you get one-they are F-U-N:)
select a tenna | eBay

if ya want I will shoot a demo video of it in action tonight when DX path is on.

I got mine for $10 last year at a 'rummage' sale I attend yearly. This year I got this one for $10 this year
Twin Coil Ferrite® AM Antenna - C. Crane Company (800) 522-8863
and I will tell you that the old select-a-tenna does just as good as this one without needing power. If you get one, you will love what it can bring in.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ah, but does it has a twisted pair of wires that can connect to the binding posts on that stereo? Seriously, though, I've heard several good things about that antenna. And here's another one that does have the twisted wires - I gave mine away (for charity) at a recent Winterfest, but it too should work well - and it's inexpensive...

Grundig AN200 LOOP

There are 2 North American clubs that specialize in MW DXing - the National Radio Club and the International Radio Club of America. Both clubs have solid reputations, and either one will point you in the right direction. Their links can be found here...

MW DXing and Broadcasting - the RR Wiki

best regards...Mike

Last edited:

ridgescan

Ah, but does it has a twisted pair of wires that can connect to the binding posts on that stereo? Seriously, though, I've heard several good things about that antenna. And here's another one that does have the twisted wires - I gave mine away (for charity) at a recent Winterfest, but it too should work well - and it's inexpensive...

best regards...Mike

You mean the Justice twin coil? Yeah it does you're right-I never tried the direct hookup to my stereo..been using it on the Ray Jefferson RDF radio out in the kitchen (yeah I got a 'kitchen shack' sort of) and it actually is fun too:)
but the OP will do very well and be content with these ideas-plus yours and John's direction on FM DX-sounds fun too. I will have to try FMDX someday. John your tutorial in that link is cool and funny as hell:D and the results you got were impressive!

haleve

Banned
Problem Solved

I went to Radio Shack to return the Sherwood receiver than I was going to purchase a car stereo & antenna at Best Buy but when I got to Ratshack I met a guy who was asking for PL259s & SO239s so I asked if he was into scanning & short story is we got to talking about my dilemma, he convinced me to keep the Sherwood & forget Best Buy, he told the sales guy what I would need & than instructed me as to what I would need to do, he also gave me his phone number to let him know how things worked out, well I just finished constructing a 67" wire dipole for FM & a 25' long wire (both hanging from my apartment window & mounted vertically), relocated the stereo to a microwave stand away from my PC, TV & scanners & placed next to the window on my outer wall now all kinds of stations are coming in like gangbusters, thanks guys for all your input & suggestions, this project wound up to be money & time well spent.

Last edited:

woebbers

I have been trying my Sangean 909x at some AM and FM dx from the mobile....im wondering if my Grundig Sat 800 is a better choice and how about the icom R-7100 for the house...thoughts?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A valid question, but needs a new thread in the HF general forum....

Keep in mind that this forum deals with Antennas for freqs BELOW 30 mhz - Thanks for your future cooperation

Mike

Last edited:

k9rzz

I gotta put my vote in for the BCB Prop logger and DX Midamerica since I live here in the Midwest.

Both GREAT resources to see what others are hearing ... sometimes in real time. Many times there will be many folks on the prop logger chatting in real time as to what's coming through (AM and FM).

Status
Not open for further replies.