SW on HT -- Yaesu FT2D

Status
Not open for further replies.

clfclf68

Hello all. I'm a new Ham -- got my license last week and my FT2D a few days ago. Having fun getting to know the different features. Success so far with local repeaters and Wires X. Still working on APRS and others.

I see that there's the ability for SW.

I've been "scanning" all the SW frequencies and have heard nothing. Is it possible to pick up SW with this HT and the stock antenna?

Many thanks for any thoughts / guidance.

Chuck
KC1ICA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That little duckie is less than useless on HF, as you should probably realize. I'd get a proper connector and solder about 20-25 foot of wire on there, and make sure you follow the usual rules - above 10 Mhz during the day, below that at night. It might even benefit from using a loop like the AN200 on MW

I wouldn't expect miracles, though. No sideband, so listening to hams is (generally) out, unless they're running AM. Ditto for any voice utilities. Likely as not the sensitivity isn't all that great on HF and below, and depending on where you are, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of overloading. You could put a linear taper pot in line with the antenna using the project below to give you a bit of control over that issue.

https://forums.radioreference.com/receive-antennas-below-30mhz/295299-great-first-timer-project.html

Oh and if it has the ability, make sure the attenuation feature is off. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.