SW Virginia Stars GRE Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

edyeary

Having no luck with the above. I live in Lee. Co. The only tower I can probably hear is Hunters Gap. I see only two control freqs. listed. How do I program a 500 -600 scanner ? Also I have a question about the 700 meg system . Digital APCO 25 right ?

John

Premium Subscriber
The easiest thing to do is use one of the software programs for the GRE and download the information on STARS directly from RadioReference. Then load that in your scanner.

What 700 MHz system are you talking about? Do you mean the 700 MHz STARS uses for Digital Vehicle Repeater System (DVRS)? If so that is only used for the troopers portables so they can talk back through their cars on the main STARS system. It is fairly short range; you would have to be close to a trooper using it to hear anything.

John

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Having no luck with the above. I live in Lee. Co. The only tower I can probably hear is Hunters Gap. I see only two control freqs. listed. How do I program a 500 -600 scanner ? Also I have a question about the 700 meg system . Digital APCO 25 right ?
Program those two freqs and set Type to P25 Auto. Set a Wildcard or known TGRP Objects.

edyeary

Program those two freqs and set Type to P25 Auto. Set a Wildcard or known TGRP Objects.

Thanks that's the first really useful answer I have had in months on the subject. I think others assume I know a lot more than I do. lol

edyeary

On my GRE PSR 800 I am receiving the system as "statewide" . What's that all about ?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
On my GRE PSR 800 I am receiving the system as "statewide" . What's that all about ?
On PSR-800 I change Statewide to Virginia STARS and set 6 scanlist.
01 STARS Police
02 STARS G/I Fish
03 Other STARS Law
04 STARS Corrections
05 STARS Training
39 STARS DMA

edyeary

Okay someone is going to have to walk me through manually programming the 600. I have the two freq. programmed in but one is a control and is hanging everything up. I programmed a wildcard in scan list one along with the two freqs. I'm trying to use "favorites" to listen. I obviously don't know what the heck I'm doing.

edyeary

The easiest thing to do is use one of the software programs for the GRE and download the information on STARS directly from RadioReference. Then load that in your scanner.

What 700 MHz system are you talking about? Do you mean the 700 MHz STARS uses for Digital Vehicle Repeater System (DVRS)? If so that is only used for the troopers portables so they can talk back through their cars on the main STARS system. It is fairly short range; you would have to be close to a trooper using it to hear anything.

John
Yeah that's what I mean. I live fairly close to a place they set up roadblocks all the time.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Statewide is the two 800MHz portable trailers with crankup antennas. Div 1 and Div 5 each have a portable system to use for emergency.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Okay someone is going to have to walk me through manually programming the 600. I have the two freq. programmed in but one is a control and is hanging everything up. I programmed a wildcard in scan list one along with the two freqs. I'm trying to use "favorites" to listen. I obviously don't know what the heck I'm doing.
152.65250a 152.69750c Are these the two freqs you have programmed?
If the red is active, the blue is likely a voice freq (VC).

You have a premium subscription, why not use software to program the scanner?

edyeary

Been trying all day to use the Butel software. Can't get the stuff to upload or download to and from the scanner. It goes to RR fine and puts the freqs into the program but when I go to download to the scanner it shows it downloading but I can't find it anywhere on the scanner. It won't download from the scanner back to the program at all. Pulling my hair out here !!!!!!! I'm sorry folks I have no expericence with this stuff at all. Never had to fool with a trunk system or software of any kind.
The lack of clear info on programming this scanner is maddening !

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
ARC500 Help>Open Manual>
section 2.14>Read (Download) data from scanner.
section 2.15 Send (Upload) data to scanner
With cable plugged into USB Port check comport in device manager.

edyeary

Would the software function at all if I needed to renew the license ? I entered the key and it says I have the full version.

Highpockets

Been trying all day to use the Butel software. Can't get the stuff to upload or download to and from the scanner. It goes to RR fine and puts the freqs into the program but when I go to download to the scanner it shows it downloading but I can't find it anywhere on the scanner. It won't download from the scanner back to the program at all. Pulling my hair out here !!!!!!! I'm sorry folks I have no expericence with this stuff at all. Never had to fool with a trunk system or software of any kind.
The lack of clear info on programming this scanner is maddening !

After you upload your programming to the scanner, if you hit scan, do you get any message, like nothing enabled?

Highpockets

Tried it and no luck !

Best advice I can give you now is to Zip up your file (attach it to a message) that your uploading to your scanner and someone will look at it and see if they can find any problems with it. I use Win500, so someone will look at it, maybe fmon, he has the software your using.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Try this file. All 20 scanlist are active with 267 talkgroups.

Attachments

• VA STARS LEE CO.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.