Swedish Military Discone Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalanalog

Hogantena M1921-101011 Swedish Military Discone Anetenna 33' Tall

On eBay:

eBay Description:

Vintage Hogantena. Model M1921-101011. Swedish Military Antenna Kit. Military Discone Antenna.
33' Tall. (7) Mast sections. (25) Radial elements. Designed for 30-78 MHz. Tuneable and usable on 160-25 MHz. SWR is under 3:1. Weight when assembles is 40 pounds. *Very broadbanded. The number of elements can be altered to adjust the frequency range. Useable with an antenna tuner to expand the frequency range. The Storage and Carry Bag is in nice condition. The leather end caps are nice.
Includes (1) Carry bag M7082-106010. 65" Long. (4) Rope spools. (4) Ground stakes M1237-801710. (1) Pulley spool/Center pin. (1) Element top cap.

I would love to have this, bit spendy, but would be a great antenna to have.

These photo's are not from the ebay add, found them on the web.

swedishdiscone2.jpg

swedishdiscone1.jpg

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Spendy?

That's cheaper than a lot of amateur grade antennas.

If I didn't live in a HOA community, I'd buy it just for listening to 30-54 MHz.

Sector46

Hogantena M1921-101011 Swedish Military Discone Anetenna 33' Tall

On eBay:

eBay Description:

Vintage Hogantena. Model M1921-101011. Swedish Military Antenna Kit. Military Discone Antenna.
33' Tall. (7) Mast sections. (25) Radial elements. Designed for 30-78 MHz. Tuneable and usable on 160-25 MHz. SWR is under 3:1. Weight when assembles is 40 pounds. *Very broadbanded. The number of elements can be altered to adjust the frequency range. Useable with an antenna tuner to expand the frequency range. The Storage and Carry Bag is in nice condition. The leather end caps are nice.
Includes (1) Carry bag M7082-106010. 65" Long. (4) Rope spools. (4) Ground stakes M1237-801710. (1) Pulley spool/Center pin. (1) Element top cap.

I would love to have this, bit spendy, but would be a great antenna to have.

These photo's are not from the ebay add, found them on the web.

View attachment 93234

View attachment 93235

Sector46

WOW What Monster That thing is , Guess would handle a hurricane . In the FAA we used MIL UHF Freq Heavy Duty Discones with solid round 1/8 in thick top hat DISC , with 8-- 1/2 in dia radials . For 225-400 Mhz . I am trying to emulate such now . No one discusses CALCULATIONS . I have Calculated for a Discone to Receive 150 Mhz + UP the Droop CONE radials would be approx 19 inches long , and the TOP HAT DISC approx 16 inches diameter. I have read , the higher in Freq the antenna goes, the higher Angle of Receive , as I monitor the UHF- AM High Altitude and Ultra High Alt Freqs , and at 300 Mhz a Much Higher angle , say 40 - 50 degrees is achieved . PERFECT For pointing UPWARD to the SKY . This may be why many report bad reception from Ground Stations . The Path ANGLES UP .. WAY UP ... I purchased the Cheapo DCX Hustler , and noticed Droop CONE legs are 57 Inches for 40 MHz . Top Dia of radials is 36 inches . This is unnecessary for 150 Mhz and Above . Am going to Chop it , Solid Copper Cone it at 16 inches Diameter , and Solid Copper Droop Cone -19 inches long... paint it and See what happens , Receiver Bearcat CRS370 20 foot run 100% Foil shield RG8X .... been playin radio far too long ......

ra7850

WOW What Monster That thing is , Guess would handle a hurricane . In the FAA we used MIL UHF Freq Heavy Duty Discones with solid round 1/8 in thick top hat DISC , with 8-- 1/2 in dia radials . For 225-400 Mhz . I am trying to emulate such now . No one discusses CALCULATIONS . I have Calculated for a Discone to Receive 150 Mhz + UP the Droop CONE radials would be approx 19 inches long , and the TOP HAT DISC approx 16 inches diameter. I have read , the higher in Freq the antenna goes, the higher Angle of Receive , as I monitor the UHF- AM High Altitude and Ultra High Alt Freqs , and at 300 Mhz a Much Higher angle , say 40 - 50 degrees is achieved . PERFECT For pointing UPWARD to the SKY . This may be why many report bad reception from Ground Stations . The Path ANGLES UP .. WAY UP ... I purchased the Cheapo DCX Hustler , and noticed Droop CONE legs are 57 Inches for 40 MHz . Top Dia of radials is 36 inches . This is unnecessary for 150 Mhz and Above . Am going to Chop it , Solid Copper Cone it at 16 inches Diameter , and Solid Copper Droop Cone -19 inches long... paint it and See what happens , Receiver Bearcat CRS370 20 foot run 100% Foil shield RG8X .... been playin radio far too long ......

Sounds awesome, please post photos.

Robert

digitalanalog

The distance from the top disk(radials) and the cone(radials) is critical in a Discone Antenna. Be sure to investigate that sometime during your build. Good Luck with your Build, Please share any info and pics.

Mil_Airband_(UHF)_Discone_2.jpg

Sector46

Quite a bit of money in copper there. I bet the guys on the moonshiners TV show could build something like it.
YES I Know well it must be VERY CLOSE , like 1/4 inch or so , the Hustler is about 3 ??? INCHES ??? That one made no sense to me either . Im also restoring a 1/4 in copper tube MOXON I built 20 + Years ago , It will be stronger now than ever before, will try it on ISS freqs 145.8 down , 144.49 FM , they say the astronauts get bored on weekends ?? and get on 2 Meters ...Saw a couple you tubes on it also . I Chose the Moxon so I dont poke an eye out with a radial ant like the ELK 5 elem I use on 2 here . Fantastic ant , I copied it out of copper tubing 20+ years ago , and it finally went to Antenna heaven so Im using the original NEW one bought for $70 now $150 or the like ? This is a great forum to learn quite alot .

Ubbe

The distance from the top disk(radials) and the cone(radials) is critical in a Discone Antenna.
It has mostly to do with the impedance. The optimum distance seems to be 1 inch at 40Mhz and at ten times the frequency at 400Mhz it is 1/10 inch that are the optimim and at 800MHz it's half of that, 1/20 inch.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.