Kenwood: Switched rig unit from TYT TH-7800 to Kenwood TM-V71A (Cross band and aprs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoarinRow

KN6JJS
Just got my Tech license about a week or so ago and have been learning a lot about different mobile Ham radios. Right after passing my test I picked up a TYT-TH-7800. It was ok, but it was not very user friendly as far as manual programming on the fly. During that short time I started reading up on cross band and aprs, as well as Echolink... in comes the Kenwood TM-V71A, bye bye TH-7800.

After watching several YouTube videos I was able to configure cross band between my V71A and my Baofeng BF-F8HP handheld. That was fun and the ham bug bit even harder lol.

Then I continued researching aprs. Since the TM-V71A doesn't have aprs built in, I found this TNC3 unit from Mobilinkd which works with my iPhone/iPad and sells cables that connect from the TNC3 to my TM-V71A and F8HP. On my iPad I installed the MobilinkdTNC and aprs.fi apps. I use the Mobillinkd app to configure the TNC3 via Bluetooth to communicate with my devices. Then the aprs.fi app to send beacons and view my location (wife thinks this is cool).

In the aprs.fi app I discovered messaging. So now, from the aprs.fi app I can send messages that will be sent out through my Kenwood or Baofeng devices, to the internet, to any cell phone via a text message. What! I was able to successfully send SMS message via the app using these instructions - Sending Messages – APRS/SMS Gateway

Also on the same website, you can create alias so other people won't see what phone number you are sending messages to (I should have done that first before sending SMS messages to myself and wife lol).

There are links in the post that might be of some help.

RoarinRow

KN6JJS
Of all the dual band mobiles that can cross band repeat, my favorite is the TM-V71A. Greta choice.
I'll take your word cause I have nothing else to compare it to, but it seems to do what it's advertised to do so no complaints here. Now I just have to go out into the wilderness and try everything out.

RoarinRow

KN6JJS
The V71A family (which includes the D710A/D710GA) has a proven history of being a solid, reliable and good performing radio. Especially with cross band operation. Early models had issues with "filter rot", Kenwood is known to quietly repair them if sent into their service centers.
Other than that, they are rock solid.
I like so much I’m going to setup a mount for the same unit in a different car. This way I can bring it with me all the time. I’ll read up on filter rot than you!

Status
Not open for further replies.