BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Switching computers for Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

Not sure if this is the right Uniden forum, but here goes: I have programmed my 436 with Sentinel to create favorite lists, using a Windows based lap top. Works great, love my 436. I have downloaded Sentinel on my Mac, using Parallels. Is it OK to connect my 436 to the Mac(using Parallels), read from the scanner and make changes and additions? Can a 436 use multiple computers with Sentinel, or does it work with one computer? Also, any issues with Macs and Parallels I need to be aware of?
Thanks,
BG..

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Can a 436 use multiple computers with Sentinel, or does it work with one computer?

You can use it with as many PCs as you want. You will need to pay careful attention to what PC (or scanner) has the latest programming so as to keep things sync'd.

I've no experience with Macs so will defer this to someone who might have tried it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
On Sentinel in the Tools>Options you have a choice for the Sentinel Folder. You might choose this and have whatever computers "point" to the same folder (such as you would in a network environment) so that your files are in sync.

Otherwise you might be changing things on Computer A but they won't be seen by Computer B.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I put my folders (referenced by ofd8001) on my Google Drive, so that both my laptop and my home desktop machine see the same data. I can read from (or write to) my 436 or my HP1 on either machine and have the data come up on the other.

You should have no problem reading your 436 on your Mac, assuming that Parallels will let the Windows installation see the USB port (and doesn't write the Mac-specific files like .Trash etc, which the 436 may have issues with finding on the card).

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
FWIW, although a different program, I use FreeSCAN on five different computers and laptops and they have all worked flawlessly with programming my BCT15X. I can't see why any other scanner programming software would ever be any different and it seems Sentinel is no exception.

mrkelso

Not sure if this is the right Uniden forum, but here goes: I have programmed my 436 with Sentinel to create favorite lists, using a Windows based lap top. Works great, love my 436. I have downloaded Sentinel on my Mac, using Parallels. Is it OK to connect my 436 to the Mac(using Parallels), read from the scanner and make changes and additions? Can a 436 use multiple computers with Sentinel, or does it work with one computer? Also, any issues with Macs and Parallels I need to be aware of?
Thanks,
BG..

On the Mac using parallels it has been hit or miss for me. More miss then hit. Until uniden fixes the driver issues, i would not try with parallels just yet. Like i said it works one time then it goes to mass storage other times.

It works well with parallels as far as Virtual Control "IF" you use a null modem cable on the rear serial port of the scanner and hook it to a usb port on your mac.

y84media

Also, any issues with Macs and Parallels I need to be aware of?

Thanks,

BG..

I tried VirtualBox & it didn't work well at all (the Mac wouldn't pass the USB port to VirtualBox), so I use bootcamp & just reboot into Windows 7...do what I need to and get back into OS X. It would be nice if there was a native Mac OS X app, especially since they've been using Intel processors since 2005.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gchapel

I second the motion for Sentinel on OS X. Seems like it would be a relatively easy thing to produce and with the IOS Siren App coming out I would think that Uniden would see the value in Mac support.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I put my folders (referenced by ofd8001) on my Google Drive, so that both my laptop and my home desktop machine see the same data. I can read from (or write to) my 436 or my HP1 on either machine and have the data come up on the other.

You should have no problem reading your 436 on your Mac, assuming that Parallels will let the Windows installation see the USB port (and doesn't write the Mac-specific files like .Trash etc, which the 436 may have issues with finding on the card).

Hey, that's a pretty good idea. However, instead of Google Drive, I'll use my Dropbox account.

:)

ButchGone

Thanks for the advice. I think I will play it safe and NOT connect my 436 to Sentinel on the Mac since it appears that some people are having difficulty with this. And YES, I'd love to see a Mac version of Sentinel too!
BG..

gchapel

The strange thing is that the HomePatrol-1 radio can connect with Sentinel on a Mac using Parallels and it works just fine.

However I can't get my BCD536HP to connect directly to Sentinel without it complaining about the drive not being formatted.

The saving grace is that you can use sentinel with an SDCard reader connected to the mac using Parallels. It works just fine and allows you to do anything that you could do with the radio connected directly.

I am glad that it does because I don't own a Windows computer and I really don't want to setup a dual boot system on my mac.

y84media

Parallels is nice but I've bought several licenses, and they update to a new version and wanted me to buy another license. I've paid for three full licenses and decided that was enough, especially when Virtualbox is free. Bootcamp is the best way to go though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.