switching feed PC's / scannercast vs oddcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHAKEY

I never would have dreamed that "Scanning" would have come this far this fast! or that I would be able to "hear" radios around the world on my PC! and even on my BB Bluetooth in public, wow!

Nor would I have thought that I would need to learn so much about my computer, new programs and networking.

bringing me to the questions,

The first is;
I am considering moving my feeds to another PC, how is the best way to go about this? Right now I am streaming two feeds with Oddcast on a laptop. might be moving to a desktop at a new location with more reliable power and better antenna.

This brings me to another question;
it seems that some of you like the Scannercast better than the Oddcast, the Odd is working fine now but might this be the time to switch? and I also want to add one or two more feeds on the same PC and would want all the programs to be the same.

I think I could figure all this out or just start over with new feeds and delete the old ones, but with all of your experince it would be foolish of me not to get your input/thoughts, it may save ALOT of problems that I dont even know of yet.

I only know a little about this and Gordon made it all very simple, but I do know enough to know I dont know enough, you know.

Thanks in advance,
jb

freightguy

I just started feeding with the OddCast. The other day I installed the ScannerCast and tried to switch the feed over. All appeared well on this end, though there is no modulation graph to set volume by.

Needless to say, I received complaints of 'no audio' even though the stats showed that I was connected. I went back to OddCast right away, and I'm not trying again.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Besides scannercast not having a modulation graph (In which the developer is working on this) scannercast is a much better program than Oddcast (in my opinion). I also recall that Peter (the developer) uses "LAME MP3 encoder, which is the gold standard for MP3 encoding".

cabletek73

scannercast issue also

I tried installing scannercast according to the recent audio streaming newsletter that was sent out.

I first got an error saying microsoft NET Framework needed to be installed or updated.. (as per the details in the newsletter) I downloaded NET 2.0 and followed by installing the scannercast program.

Shortly after, upon opening the program I kept getting some sort of exception error that kept me from opening it. My dedicated machine for streaming my feed is a dell gx100 running XP pro version 2002 with service pack 2. I couldnt get scannercast to open for anything and eventually went back to oddcast and things are fine.

I was on the brink of just shutting the machine off and moving on with life.. Im still considering it.

Good day,

Rod

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I tried installing scannercast according to the recent audio streaming newsletter that was sent out.

I first got an error saying microsoft NET Framework needed to be installed or updated.. (as per the details in the newsletter) I downloaded NET 2.0 and followed by installing the scannercast program.

Shortly after, upon opening the program I kept getting some sort of exception error that kept me from opening it. My dedicated machine for streaming my feed is a dell gx100 running XP pro version 2002 with service pack 2. I couldnt get scannercast to open for anything and eventually went back to oddcast and things are fine.

I was on the brink of just shutting the machine off and moving on with life.. Im still considering it.

Good day,

Rod

Did you request any help?. We cant help if you don't request it:).

W4ELL

Feed Provider
I recently switched from the Odd Cast encoder over to Scanner Cast... and I will never go back.

I made the move because I wanted to start sending alpha tags in my feed and I also wanted to move the feed to a dedicated PC.

I adjusted my volume using a little trial and error... I started my feed streaming with ScannerCast and then listened to the feed from another machine. I then made the necessary adjustments by ear.

As far as errors go, I didn't have any issues at all. I am running my feed on a Celeron 700 with 512mb RAM, Windows XP SP3, and all the latest Windows updates.

cabletek73, There are several updates on the Windows Update site that specifically update .NET 2.0 and you might also want to install XP Service Pack 3 (and the post-SP3 updates). This might just solve your crashing issue and make your PC safer in the long run.

ksduster

Weather enthusiast
Feed Provider
I'm currently using scannercast now...
When i first started it, i noticed the "tags" were showing up ,but no audio..
I had to go to my volume control for my sound blaster audigy, and switch my input to "mic", then back to "line in", then the audio started working fine..
Sounds more like a windows problem to me with it switching, or even the sound blaster volume control program... But all works! I'm happy

hvscan

I am running 11 trouble free versions of ScannerCast over 4 computers. Any questions have been quickly answered by the developer, Peter. Some tips - upgrade to a new version when one becomes available, enable the auto restart option, always listen for your audio when first setting up a feed by opening the squelch and listening through RR on another computer and then slowly adjust the volume until it sounds clean. Best of Luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.