BCD396T/BC996T: switching from Mot 800/900 to P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

node1

Premium Subscriber
Is there away that you can go in and manually change from the 800/900 to the P25. The scanner was working on the 800/900 until it was changed to the P25. It was in Indiana Wayne County and City of Richmond IN.

a29zuk

Is there away that you can go in and manually change from the 800/900 to the P25. The scanner was working on the 800/900 until it was changed to the P25. It was in Indiana Wayne County and City of Richmond IN.

You will have to program a new system to monitor the P25 system. I see no way to just switch a 800/900 system to a P25 system in the menu system.

To start a new system go to the MENU screen on the scanner.
PROGRAM SYSTEM should be highlighted, push the ENTER key.
Scroll up or down until NEW SYSTEM is highlighted, push the ENTER key.
Scroll down and highlight MOT, push the ENTER key.
P25 should be highlighted, push the ENTER key.
Confirm? push the ENTER key.
From this menu you can edit the name and set the frequencies.
According to the database here the frequencies for your area are:
1 (1)
071 (47)
Richmond
Wayne, IN
853.1125c

If you would like to listen to all of the traffic on this system select ID SEARCH in the EDIT SYS OPTION in the menu screen.
You didn't mention if you have software and a cable to program your scanner. It is a lot easier to program certain talkgroup IDs that you would like to listen to.
Selecting EDIT GROUP will allow you to set up a group of talkgroup IDs that will let you select what you want to hear off your local site.. This group will need a quick key assigned to it.
A shortlist of IDs in the database for you county is:
Wayne County (89) Talkgroups

12437 Fire Dispatch
12435 Sheriff Dispatch
12436 Richmond Police Dispatch
12438 Fireground 1
12439 Fireground 2

Setting ID SCAN in the EDIT SYS OPTIONS will allow you listen to these 5 talkgroup ID's only and nothing else on the system.

I hope this gets you started. We need more info from you as far as software and what experience you have programming scanners for more help.

Jim

marksmith

There is no way to change system type. You must re-enter system with correct type.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

node1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the Info I'm not that familiar with the scanner. i's my friends and he does not have a cable or the software. I did see the area in which you talk about. I know he has the state police and a few other things that is programed into it. I'll go in and see what else he has in it. I'll see what I can come up with. I have done several of the radio shanks in the past.

Thank You

Ned Hines

marksmith

No scanner make allows you to change system type after it is created. Because system types can effect a lot of things about the system setup, this is never allowed. For example, p25 systems control entire band plan in control channel, while other systems might require you to enter one, especially if rebanded.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

JamesO

The cable is a standard USB to USB Mini cable that is used for some cell phone and camera. I believe the scanner should have come with the cable.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
The 396T either takes a USB to a proprietary plug or RS232 to proprietary plug, not USB to USB.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The cable is a standard USB to USB Mini cable that is used for some cell phone and camera.

No, it is not a USB Mini-B on the scanner, despite it looking similar. It's a proprietary serial connector.

Ned, do not attempt to use a standard USB cable, or you risk damaging the scanner.

JamesO

No, it is not a USB Mini-B on the scanner, despite it looking similar. It's a proprietary serial connector.

Ned, do not attempt to use a standard USB cable, or you risk damaging the scanner.

Um, yea, for some reason I must have been looking at a bunch of posts and was thought this was the thread about the 996P2 which requires a standard USB Mini cable.

I now see this was a 396T which does require a special cable, but a USB Mini (5 pin) will not fit the 396T.

Sorry for any confusion on this. The 396T did not come with a programming cable.

You will need something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-USB-1...r=8-1&keywords=uniden+396xt+programming+cable

wtp

it did

my 396T came with a serial to mini usb cable.
i later bought a serial to usb converter from radio shack.
i have not used it in years and have heard possible problems with the chip in it with windows 10.
just in case i have a win 7 as a grandkid's computer.

node1

Premium Subscriber
No scanner make allows you to change system type after it is created. Because system types can effect a lot of things about the system setup, this is never allowed. For example, p25 systems control entire band plan in control channel, while other systems might require you to enter one, especially if rebanded.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

The radio shack digital will allow you to change from the Moto 800/900 to the P25 I have changed 5 of them and they work fine. I did not loose any of the freq that was there when I started

Thanks

Ned Hines

Status
Not open for further replies.