Switching from Radio Shack to Bearcat

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
After many years of using Radio Shack Pro 96 and Pro 2096 I am thinking of switching over to Bearcat BCD996p2 and 325p2, but have a few questions. Currently I am using Starr program to program my radios and l am very used to it like it very much. I can also clone my base radios from my portable very easily. My questions are, what programing program would some of you recommend and can a person clone from one radio to another easily ? Thanks in advance.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have used RS and GRE-Comm/Whistler radios for years and just got an SDS100. So far, the only thing the same is that they are both scanners. Time will tell, but learning the SDS system is definitely going to be more work. The software doesn't look too challenging but I also bought the Butel software for the SDS and it was very easy to use due to years of using Butel's other software.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
After many years of using Radio Shack Pro 96 and Pro 2096 I am thinking of switching over to Bearcat BCD996p2 and 325p2, but have a few questions. Currently I am using Starr program to program my radios and l am very used to it like it very much. I can also clone my base radios from my portable very easily. My questions are, what programing program would some of you recommend and can a person clone from one radio to another easily ? Thanks in advance.
If you mean clone your Pro-96, or Pro-2096, to another scanner of the same model, you can do that.

However, if you mean clone your Pro-2096 (or 96) file into a Uniden scanner, then no. Two entirely different programming systems.

But since you are a Premium Subscriber, ProScan (or ARC-XT) can easily import whatever you want from the database here on RadioRefererence. Both software programs have a 30-day free trial period. I prefer ProScan because it handles a wider variety of Uniden scanner models from long discontinued to current production.

ProScan does allow you to import a software file from one Uniden model into a file for a different model. When I purchased my 325P2, I imported a working file from my 436HP into a file for the 325.

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
If you mean clone your Pro-96, or Pro-2096, to another scanner of the same model, you can do that.

However, if you mean clone your Pro-2096 (or 96) file into a Uniden scanner, then no. Two entirely different programming systems.

But since you are a Premium Subscriber, ProScan (or ARC-XT) can easily import whatever you want from the database here on RadioRefererence. Both software programs have a 30-day free trial period. I prefer ProScan because it handles a wider variety of Uniden scanner models from long discontinued to current production.

ProScan does allow you to import a software file from one Uniden model into a file for a different model. When I purchased my 325P2, I imported a working file from my 436HP into a file for the 325.
Basically, what I can do with my Pro 96 is connect it to my Pro2096 ( which is mounted in my vehicle) via the PC/IF connection to upload from the portable to the mobile. That's what I want to be able to do between the BCD325p2 and the BCD996p2 and not have to dismantle it in the car. Make any sense ?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Basically, what I can do with my Pro 96 is connect it to my Pro2096 ( which is mounted in my vehicle) via the PC/IF connection to upload from the portable to the mobile. That's what I want to be able to do between the BCD325p2 and the BCD996p2 and not have to dismantle it in the car. Make any sense ?
Apparently, I misunderstood your question. While you can't clone the Pro-96/-2096 scanners to a Uniden, you can clone the 325P2 to the 996P2 (or the other way around with the 996P2 as the source, You would need a cable with a USB-mini (male) to a USB-mini (male). Probably something like this.

If you are not dealing with any DMR or NXDN frequencies & systems, then you could use FreeSCAN to program either of them, and then download the same file to the other scanner. Even if you still want to clone it, I would suggest reading your source scanner's programming into your PC, so that you have a master backup copy.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Your best bet may actually be a 436HP and a 536HP. Then you can just program a card and drop it in. Just my opinion.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

You can select all your conventional freqs in the Starr software, then control c for copy, then use @ProScan Get Clipboard feature.

Not a clone, but you can get much of the data from Rs scanner into a Uniden scanner. Many forget about that feature.

Bob1955

According to what me
Exactly! Location, location, location.
KT4HZ- It is location/location/location but like on eHam.Org for reviews and the Bearcat BCD996P2 is rated ABOVE the SDS200 and it says not to waste your money. This is "NOT" coming from me. I also read a article (2) years ago from "The Chicago Tribute" and it said "the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 is the BEST scanner then Uniden America Corporation ever manufactured. This is "NOT" my opinion but rather in an article.
Hope everyone had a good Easter/Passover.

Bob KB2GQK (Also with the news media)

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Hi Bob. I am glad you like the 996P2. I used to have one also, and I enjoyed it at the time. However, my area is simulcast rich and the SDS200 easily outperforms the the 996P2 for monitoring those systems. That said, there is nothing wrong with the 996P2, as it is a solidly built scanner. But in my particular environment, it is the best performer that I've used. So yes, location does play into this significantly.

I also read the reviews on Eham about various pieces of equipment, and while useful, I do take them with at least a small grain of salt because they are personal opinions that may or may not be consistent with what I've experienced. The article in the paper is also an opinion based on whatever factors the author focuses on. All those opinions have a useful place in the hobby, as a source of information for prospective buyers. But until one has the opportunity to utilize various pieces of equipment within their own environment, finding the one which is truly best for their personal application is still a question mark. Sometimes we simply agree to disagree. :)

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
In the above, just to clarify, where I said "But in my particular environment, it is the best performer that I've used. So yes, location does play into this significantly." I should have stated "But in my particular environment, the SDS200 is the best performer that I've used. So yes, location does play into this significantly."

Bob1955

Hi Bob. I am glad you like the 996P2. I used to have one also, and I enjoyed it at the time. However, my area is simulcast rich and the SDS200 easily outperforms the the 996P2 for monitoring those systems. That said, there is nothing wrong with the 996P2, as it is a solidly built scanner. But in my particular environment, it is the best performer that I've used. So yes, location does play into this significantly.

I also read the reviews on Eham about various pieces of equipment, and while useful, I do take them with at least a small grain of salt because they are personal opinions that may or may not be consistent with what I've experienced. The article in the paper is also an opinion based on whatever factors the author focuses on. All those opinions have a useful place in the hobby, as a source of information for prospective buyers. But until one has the opportunity to utilize various pieces of equipment within their own environment, finding the one which is truly best for their personal application is still a question mark. Sometimes we simply agree to disagree. :)
Hi KT4HZ- I appreciate your message back to me and I get it; the SDS200 is the best performer that you ever have used due to simulcasting in your area. It's all over here too but I'm not in a position to spend $699.95 for that scanner, period.
I hope you had a good holiday and let's keep in touch.

Bob

Bob1955

According to what metric? :unsure:
GTR8000-You "MAY" be a Data Base Administrator (I respect you for that position) but you aren't "GOD"! I have "LIVED" in Westchester County, NY since 1958 and started in this hobby in 1973. I worked for Forbees Electronics/Centenial Communications in Greenburgh, NY(Scarsdale) Lafayette Electornics in New Rochelle, NY when I worked for the police department there from 1977-79. I'm a retired volunteer firefighter FEMA Certificate/NARCAN Certified in NY) (I can show off my POWER too) and also now with the news media and the "Bearcat BCD996" works perfectly. Is a Unication better, absolutely yes.
Hope you have a nice Wednesday sir.
Bob