Switching from Radio Shack to Bearcat

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Surprised no one has mentioned this: Radio Shack is long out of business, (yeah, someone bought Radio Shack online but they don't sell scanners) and official support is long gone. Uniden is at least well in business, and supports even legacy products like the 996 as far as repairs. For sub $100 they will fix and repair the current and recent products. FWIW I have both an SDS200, BCD436HP and BC536HP, the SDS is clearly the true gem for linear simulcast, but the 536 has far better sensitivity on VHF air band and VHF high band. All excellent products. All fully supported by Uniden.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Hi KT4HZ- I appreciate your message back to me and I get it; the SDS200 is the best performer that you ever have used due to simulcasting in your area. It's all over here too but I'm not in a position to spend $699.95 for that scanner, period.
I hope you had a good holiday and let's keep in touch.

Bob
I absolutely get that many folks simply cannot afford one of the SDS scanners. Spending that much is not to be taken lightly, and I never advise anyone to spend money in pursuit of a hobby that is needed to take care of important expenses. Fortunately I am able to afford one and it did make a day-night difference in my ability to scan many systems in my area. Back a few years ago before the rush to simulcast in region, the 996P2 served me quite well and I liked not only the operation but the fit and finish. However, I admit that I do like having the full database in the SDS200 at my fingertips. This will be particularly nice when we take trips around the country using a GPS puck and it can switch local systems on and off as we drive through an area.

Ultimately there is no perfect or best scanner for the masses. What there is what is best for the individual - within their budget, based on their particular scanning interests and in the end gives them the most enjoyment for the buck. Best 73 to you Bob.

Alan (KT4HX)

Bob1955

@Bob1955 all of which has nothing to do with which scanner is the best.
The correct answer is the scanner that works best for the user.
But what is the best or easy for you to use in your area is not always the best for other users or areas you know nothing about.
buddrousa- Hi and hope you had a "GREAT" Easter and I appreciate your feedback on my comment good or not so good.
I'm so busy but I have to admit one thing now at 11:47pm; the quality control coming from Uniden America Corporation has slipped a lot. I just received a new Uniden BCD996P2 here last week. I hooked my customer's one made in 2019 to a Hustler Scanner Magnetic Mount BNC) and even before I did that (FreeSacan) was not changed in my computer at all. This 996P2 is NOT receiving New Rochelle Police on 155.130 or Westchester County Police on 155.31 but it does receive them (WCPD) on the 700-800 Mhz Metro-25/MTA MMRS and my locals (Eastchester/Bronxville/Tuckahoe Police are great including Metro North Police-All lines including Long Island and CT.
What's next to do OR its going back to Amazon. The box was perfectly clean inside another serial numbers indicate manufactured in 2022.
Any help would be appreciated. Oh, I have played with P25 Squelch Thershold too. What's the LP Filter do without me looking up Marks Easy To Use Scanner Guide? lmao
Stay safe.
Bob (KB2GQK)

Bob1955

@Bob1955 all of which has nothing to do with which scanner is the best.
The correct answer is the scanner that works best for the user.
But what is the best or easy for you to use in your area is not always the best for other users or areas you know nothing about.
budd-You have a valid point here.
Hope you have a nice upcoming work week.
Stay safe.
Bob (KB2GQK)