• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Switching one APX mobile microphone among multiple APX mobile radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Is there a commercial product? Google was no joy.

If not, anybody rolled their own? I guess I'd just need to buy a J1 MMP jack to plug a mic into, and n jacks to receive jumpers out to the n radios' J1 jacks, and wire everything up to a 10-pole break-before-make switch?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Pretty much have to cobble your own. Be careful. these radios are too new and unrepairable to risk electrical damage from one applying potential from one radio to another.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Wow!
Motorola use to have a bunch of option modules called systems 90. They had a wild card board with interlocking switches and Form C contacts. It would be ideal to use one of those and the housings were later in bronze to match the Syntor. Now there is the DEK module. I have not looked to see if they have a wild card for that. Either way you could save a kilobuck.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Syntor Systems 90 HLN1021A - System 90*s Auxiliary Switch Panel Not sure if this has interlocking switches. The DEK series has an Aux module described as well.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Be careful. these radios are too new and unrepairable to risk electrical damage from one applying potential from one radio to another.

Mybe this would work for the switch and wire up adapter cables.

First you tell him to be careful because the risk of connection between two radios in this manner is serious, and then you recommend cheap Chinese garbage to do the job? What are you doing?

RFI-EMI-GUY

First you tell him to be careful because the risk of connection between two radios in this manner is serious, and then you recommend cheap Chinese garbage to do the job? What are you doing?

Making it easier for him to roll his own. The same level of wiring care would be required to wire the $1200 box as to wire the ABCD box. Inside are simple selector switches.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm surprised that there isn't an off-the-shelf solution for this (for mobile command posts/trailers, vehicles, smaller dispatch centers, etc.).

I don't know why a normal break-before-make, 10-pole (or even 3-pole, if I only wanted to switch PTT, audio, and ground) rotary switch wouldn't work.

Now if I could just find a half-dozen or so of those jacks....

Thanks, all.

...R

K2NEC

Countless times I have been in vehicles with multiple radios and they have mics all along the sides of the console. It's a lot more common than you think.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
For vehicles that are never going to have more than one operator, that's exactly my point: that stinks. I've been there. Having a central selector, or perhaps a button next to each radio, that switched a single mic to the desired radio would be so much better. And don't get me started on all of the mobile EOCs I've been in that had all of the speakers all mounted right up against each other. Turn your head and hear a call, and you have absolutely no idea what radio to respond to.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Some vehicles it makes sense if there is a driver and a second operator. But for many, it is a cluster of coil cords. Speakers should be mounted spatially so that you can get a physical clue of who is calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.