SWL attic guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

chgotech

Some specific questions on best SWL antenna design for attic for use with my new Tecsun PL-880. My home is one-story 1800 sf in the midwest US. One half where I need to do the listening is electrically very, very noisy, but the other half (an addition) is much quieter. This is readily apparent by walking around with my Tecsun. I should have about 35x25ft of attic space in the quiet half to work with. Due to the noise I suppose I should run a coax from the antenna to the radio, which must be located in the noisy half. I would like to listen to ham and broadcast voice on the popular bands, nothing fancy. Some questions based on the what I have read:
- should I use some sort of dipole, a loop, or a single length of wire
- should I use a balun of some sort
- would an antenna tuner help (any recommendations?)
- should a ground be attached on the antenna side, or the radio side, or ?

Thanks, I couldn't find any consensus on this.

WA8ZTZ

For a starter, take a look at the Tecsun AN-48x active loop antenna. It includes all that is necessary to connect to your receiver.
It is also portable so you can move it around so as to avoid and/or null out the noise. Have no personal experience
this antenna myself but for the price it may be worth a try.

Otherwise, like you say, you won't find much consensus on this because you won't really know how a particular antenna will
perform until you try it.

Arkmood

- should I use some sort of dipole, a loop, or a single length of wire
- should I use a balun of some sort
- would an antenna tuner help (any recommendations?)
- should a ground be attached on the antenna side, or the radio side, or ?

Good reply

Try all of the above and more - only you can find what works best for your specific location. And while attic antennas are problematic because or many variables involved, your method of finding noise using the Tecsun portable is a great start. An attached longwire to attic aluminum ducts/chimney may provide good results because of the added length needed for HF freqs. or may add more noise... Once ran a small gauge invisible wire alongside the rubber seal of an attic exhaust PVC pipe down along the roof, to the backyard. Experiment - it's really the only way.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
See my answers here - much of what I mentioned here applies almost verbatim to you, too...

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.