[Swlfest] Introducing: Hard-Core-DX Slack Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Those of you in the hobby for a number of years and/or attending the Winter SWL Fest in the Philadelphia area know Risto's long-time dedication to what we do. This received 17 June 2021.
-----------

Hi all,

Hard-Core-DX has been a pioneer in connecting shortwave listeners for nearly 30 years now. In its core it has been emailing lists and web sites and some other experiments which have either spun to become popular on their own (e.g. various ham related spotting sites or Online Log which is very popular in Finland) or not. Today we wanted to try to branch out into chat using Slack.

This is not the only chat there is... IRC, Facebook, Whatsapp etc have small circles for shortwave listeners but they have all been closed systems and not enabling an environment that can be used across devices and have conversations about any topics we choose. In the corporate world Slack has revolutionized communications amongst colleagues and partners in different companies. Much of work in U.S.A. small companies happens nowadays in Slack and not so much in emails.

Hard-Core-DX has signed up and created it's very own Slack service.

If you want to join the HCDX Slack, please click this link and create your own HCDX Slack account:

Join Hard-Core-DX on Slack

Some basic rules of the Slack service:
  1. When you join it, you will see some channels that have been created already. You can join them or if you can't find the topic you'd like to chat about, please create your own.
  2. HCDX will not be in the business of moderating what people are creating or discussing. If you create a channel, you will choose the policies of the discussion.
  3. This can naturally invite some abuse. We will deal with it with Slack's policies as time comes.
  4. You are welcome to invite your DX friends to the HCDX Slack and grow the community. Invite happens from menu in upper left corner and link "Invite people to Hard-Core-DX"
  5. Let's keep subjects within shortwave radio, broadcast, utility, pirate DXing & ham radio if possible to keep the service relevant to us
  6. This is an experiment... if it doesn't gain popularity or becomes a burden, we will shut it down. But for now, if you want to experiment and see if this is where you want to chat with your DX friends, join the fun.
More information about Slack:

What is Slack?
What is Slack and how does it work? Plus plenty of Slack tips and tricks

73!

--
Risto Kotalampi, W6RK
Hayward, California, U.S.A.
Email: risto@kotalampi.com

w2xq

Mentor
I saw this on the World of Radio reflector -- anyone ever hear of Slack? Mike
Slack? Are you serious? Slack (NYSE: WORK) began in 2004, developed as Tiny Speck's internal desktop messaging, and was initally marketed as Slack in 2014. I've been using it in a investing chat group since June 2016; Risto tells me he has been using it for 4 or 5 years. I'm a fan, and use it along with Evernote. Slack runs nicely in the background on the tablet and phone -- I only turn on the ten year old Win7 netbook once or twice a month to adjust a radio's codeplug. -- without dragging on resources.

Salesforce (NYSE: CRM) thought so much of its product that in December 2020 Salesforce agreed to buy Slack for $27.7B. The transaction is expected to be concluded this second quarter ending July 31.

Microsoft has its own desktop messaging product for the Windows platform, but that's a different discussion of which is better. That arguement can get as ugly as the conservatives versus the progressive liberals war of words within the swamp. I'm not going there. :)

HTH.

Boombox

Never heard of Slack personally. Thanks for the heads up on this, regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.