SWLing/HFing Bedside or Anywhere solution with PC controlled RX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnieZ

Thought I would share my experience here.

Since I've gotten back into the SWLing/HFing hobby, my circumstances have changed from being single guy living at home to being a husband with a wife that has little appreciation for receivng broadcasts from around the the world :)

My situation is that my primary listening rig is my RX-320 that is connected to my attic longwire antenna. The attic longwire does OK, better than the whip on my DX-398 that I keep beside the bed.

Here's an interesting way I've been listening to the RX-320 bedside (or occasionally at the office):
The kicker is you need to have an iPad, an Android tablet, or possibly an iPhone/iPod Touch / Android Phone.

I use a remote access package called Splashtop that allows me to remote into my home PC (There's plenty of options out on the various app stores, this one just happened to be the cheapest. at under $5) I use the tablet to remote into my home PC, fire up my RX-320 control software (Clifton Turner's controller or more lately the SWLog program.) Voila, I'm listening to the RX-320 via headphones connected to the iPad.

When used in the house on the same network, the controls are responsive enough that I can control the receiver and get realtime audio fed back to my iPad, good enough for scanning AM at 1KHz at a time. This is a great way to enjoy my PC controlled HF receiver from just about anywhere. At work the audio feed isn't as "Real time" as it is when I'm connected via WiFi to the same network as the PC is on, so scannis isn't the best, but it works good enough to tune to a specific channel and listen.

Thought I would share my method. If you already have your PC set up to control the receiver and get the audio, and your tablet is configured and working on your WiFi at home, setting up the remote access software takes about 10 minutes between download the app for the tablet and downloading the small connection peice for the PC.

Token

I use Splashtop and an iPod to remote into either the PC with the WinRadio Excalibur or one of the PCs with an SDR-IQ.

This way I can use a radio while on the back porch with a beer in hand, or whenever I want to casually listen from a location within about 300 feet of the house, such as the garage.

T!

brandon

Database Admin
+1 on Splashtop Remote. It works great to control the SDR-IQ from HDSDR. I also use it over the Internet without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.