SWMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

foster_006

any lurkers around the SWMO area? I just moved back home and looking for some people to converse with!

Also, any digi trunked systems heading this direction?

steener

Premium Subscriber
SW MO

Where about in SW MO are you located? I can usually be found in the Barton/Jasper County area.

I haven't been able to pickup anything digital around here yet. Also, haven't heard of any plans for anything digital.

Paul

foster_006

Re: Branson

phillip3225 said:
I live in Branson.If you need any information about freq or radio information for Branson or Taney County I can help.
Phillip

Thanks! I appreciate that! What are the chances I could possibly pickup Greene Co/Springfield TRS from far eastern Jasper Co.. Almost into Lawrence co..? I plan on puttin a yagi up for Joplin.. wondering if I might be able to get the same results but with Springfield?!

steener said:
Where about in SW MO are you located? I can usually be found in the Barton/Jasper County area.

I haven't been able to pickup anything digital around here yet. Also, haven't heard of any plans for anything digital.

Paul

I live in eastern Jasper Co, almost in Lawrence Co.. Right now, I'm only able to monitor the SE tower of Jasco Metro LE.. and Jasper Co SO.. in addition to Jasco911.. I'm guessing it's the SE tower as well because I only hear fire calls for station 13..which is Sarcoxie. I looked around in the database and noticed they have about 5 different towers.. so a better antenna/coax is in store for the near future! I can also monitor Lawrence Co EMS, sometimes Grandby PD, and sometimes Newton CO SO. I think they're are a few others I'm able to monitor.. but usually it's one sided conversations.

Anyone know of a good ham shop around the Joplin area? Otherwise, I'm left with radio shack discone.. from what i've read.. the 20-013 would probably be the best. I can also buy one online.. but that's a last resort!

Also, is MSHP going trunked anytime soon? I'll have to check out the threads about that..

jalexand69

Hello Foster006. I just moved from Joplin back east.

The local Radioshack manager told me that the digital scanner would be mail order only for Joplin. (He said that Joplin would not go digital.) The city technician told me back in 2003 that the city would upgrade to APCO 25 standards, but he didn't mention whether it would be digital or encrypted.)

For antennas and some electronic parts, some of us hams in Joplin have gone to B&B (4th & Grand) and bought some Radio Shack parts. This is strictly a closout store, but they did have some antennas, including a UHF beam (TV antenna). That might be helpful for you.

Local hams in Joplin like to purchase supplies from WB0W, Associated Radio, D&L Antenna, and/or Memphis Amateur Electronics. Each has a webpage and offers competitive pricing. (I know each of these people, as they regularly attend the Joplin Hamfest each year.)

If you need some specific electronic parts (e.g., EPROMs, antenna connectors, resistors, etc.), I can recommend a local engineering shop who often sells hams. Send a private message if you're interested. You might want to check out the Joplin Amateur Radio Club and come to one of their meetings. (I'm the newsletter editor.)

Hope this information helps. j c

foster_006

jalexand69 said:
...I just moved from Joplin back east.
where to?

jalexand69 said:
The local Radioshack manager told me that the digital scanner would be mail order only for Joplin. (He said that Joplin would not go digital.) The city technician told me back in 2003 that the city would upgrade to APCO 25 standards, but he didn't mention whether it would be digital or encrypted.)
I don't trust radio shack very much. I know a few people that work there.. in various cities.. but along the lines of the city's TRS.. I think they'll go digital eventually. That's total speculation of course.. just a hunch!

jalexand69 said:
For antennas and some electronic parts, some of us hams in Joplin have gone to B&B (4th & Grand) and bought some Radio Shack parts. This is strictly a closout store, but they did have some antennas, including a UHF beam (TV antenna). That might be helpful for you.
Thanks! I'll have to check them out!

jalexand69 said:
Local hams in Joplin like to purchase supplies from WB0W, Associated Radio, D&L Antenna, and/or Memphis Amateur Electronics. Each has a webpage and offers competitive pricing. (I know each of these people, as they regularly attend the Joplin Hamfest each year.)
PM Sent!

jalexand69 said:
...You might want to check out the Joplin Amateur Radio Club and come to one of their meetings. (I'm the newsletter editor.)

I'll have to do that! When are the meetings?

Status
Not open for further replies.