SWO Milair activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Well for this frequency (244.575) mostly the "tower" i hear, sometimes i can hear both sides, but mainly just the tower. It seems to be in the evening time i pick this up. Was just curious as being in chatham with a discone up, thought it would be odd to hear a cleveland center base frequency, as most times you have to be right next door in order to pick it up.

Lexxx

Same as Hamilton used to be when I lived down there. The controller was simulcast on each frequency but the planes were not.

Very possible. All that means is the controller didn't couple the frequencies and elected to transmit on two or more frequencies without coupling them.

The controller runs the risk of aircraft transmitting at the same time on different frequencies because they can't hear each other, but if that doesn't bother the controller he doesn't have to couple frequencies. It's not a required procedure.

It's just something you may encounter listening to air traffic frequencies.

moonbounce

This would make a good sticky thread, what with all the airshows that will soon be upon us.

Moonbounce

moonbounce

I would thind roughly 250+ miles, and that can depend on the atmospheric conditions, on the 225Mhz to 400 Mhz.

Moonbounce

Last edited:

moonbounce

273.000 Mhz active again today as they were yesterday. Sound's like they are testing equipment, coming in very strong and then after about a half hour, they disappeared.

Moonbounce

nodak1crdet3

SENTRY 60 E-3 AWACS passing thru.

Hello all,

Check out 287.450 AM mode. That's an AWACS TOD beep you'll be hearing. SENTRY 60 just finished up doing some Airial Refueling on AR-219 Prime, & is now east bound toward Maine.

nodak1crdet3

2 Barksdale B-52's in area.

SKULL 11 & 12
250.250 2 Barkdale B-52's reading 9 lines for simulated bomb runs. SKULL 11 is pretending to be a ground controller SPECTR 11. SKULL 12 is a female pilot.

SKULL 11 & 12
250.250 2 Barkdale B-52's reading 9 lines for simulated bomb runs. SKULL 11 is pretending to be a ground controller SPECTR 11. SKULL 12 is a female pilot.

Yup heard some of that myself thanks for the info. I threw that freq in my radio. How do you know that they are B-52's just out of curiosity?

nodak1crdet3

Yup heard some of that myself thanks for the info. I threw that freq in my radio. How do you know that they are B-52's just out of curiosity?

I don't mind the question instrumentphilip. The freq is a known Barksdale B-52 A/A. The call sign is one clue. The background noise from the aircraft, & he gave a simulated bomb load that he was carrying, that only a B-52 would carry. I wasn't able to copy the bomb load. Sometimes they make it easy and self ID themselves during the simulated bombing mission brief. Over time you will learn to decipher these little clues that you will hear. It's the joy & frustration of listening to Milair. ;~)

There is a group out of Ohio that is also using the SKULL call sign now, but they use a higher number, & they don't have that background noise like the B-52. I can't remember if it's Mansfield, or the Youngstown Group that is using SKULL now.
06-02-11
SKULL 61 (C-27 or C-130)
119.600 MTC app, 12:26pm.
120.150 MTC twr, rnwy 1, 12:44pm.
119.600 MTC app, 12:47pm.
120.150 MTC twr, 01:15pm. Still doing options, 02:03pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.