• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SWR climbs as Radio warms up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidZak

I need some help troubleshooting an issue with SWR signal. Is it normal for my SWR to start out at 1.1 when I start my radio and the more I transmit it climbs up in the 2.4 range as it warms up? If not, what could be the issue?

prcguy

It could be the radio is drifting in power and the SWR measurement takes into account the power level during setup. If you cal the SWR meter and increase the power afterwards the SWR will appear to increase.

What kind of antenna? I've seen a number of antennas that have a coil in base or in the whip that heats up with lots of power and the VSWR changes. This should never happen with a stock radio unless the coil is wound with #36 wire or smaller.

I have one in the radio and also one that is inline. Whether I run an amp or not the results are still the same.

DavidZak

It could be the radio is drifting in power and the SWR measurement takes into account the power level during setup. If you cal the SWR meter and increase the power afterwards the SWR will appear to increase.

What kind of antenna? I've seen a number of antennas that have a coil in base or in the whip that heats up with lots of power and the VSWR changes. This should never happen with a stock radio unless the coil is wound with #36 wire or smaller.

Antron 99.

prcguy

I think the only way to get to the bottom of this is to use a power/SWR meter you can trust and with a dummy load. Or use an antenna analyzer with its built in RF source. I would first test the radio by transmitting for a minute into a load to see if the power is stable. Then repeat the SWR measurement on the antenna with the known good meter and also double check power over time into the antenna.

I think you will find either the radio is changing power, or the antenna SWR really is changing (unlikely) or your current SWR meter(s) have a problem. It could also be your test method and you could be making a mistake calibrating the SWR meter or doing something we can't see to comment on.

Rg8 or rg213 is correct. The large stuff.

DavidZak

I think the only way to get to the bottom of this is to use a power/SWR meter you can trust and with a dummy load. Or use an antenna analyzer with its built in RF source. I would first test the radio by transmitting for a minute into a load to see if the power is stable. Then repeat the SWR measurement on the antenna with the known good meter and also double check power over time into the antenna.

I think you will find either the radio is changing power, or the antenna SWR really is changing (unlikely) or your current SWR meter(s) have a problem. It could also be your test method and you could be making a mistake calibrating the SWR meter or doing something we can't see to comment on.
Would using another radio in the same set-up be a good indicator for troubleshooting? If the swr does not go higher after warm up that should tell me the problem is in the radio?

prcguy

Yes, that would eliminate one possible thing that could be causing a problem. If another radio gives stable readings that would point at your first radio as a suspect.

Would using another radio in the same set-up be a good indicator for troubleshooting? If the swr does not go higher after warm up that should tell me the problem is in the radio?

prcguy

A solder connection would have to be right on the edge of failure to show up when transmitting with just a few watts. If you don't have other test equipment then swapping the radio, jumper cables, etc, might find the problem by process of elimination.

I've used different many pl-259s. But I think you're on to something. Maybe cold solder joint SO-239 (socket); ?

DavidZak

I will be swapping out the radio tonight calibrating the swr meters and giving it a good work out. If the swr doesn't climb up I think I'll have to take a closer look at the 2000 gtl. I'll keep you all informed of my results. Thanks for all the help!

ThomasB3131

It could also be water in the coax. I've had that happen on a 2 meter antenna system. At first glance SWR would be fine, then as you started to transmit little by little the SWR would get worse and worse.

Reactions: NC1
Status
Not open for further replies.