SWR & Perplexity.AI copied to RadioReference.com

RFI-EMI-GUY

Chronic, Joking aside, I was serious about this idea. Will this work or did you have something else in mind.?

I guess I could use a short coax extension I have instead of attaching the dummy load to the far end of my random wire antenna. Then test with the tuner bypass on and off. I'm thinking this would be easier. BTW, the MFJ-945E does not come with a dummy load built into it.
The dummy load is to simulate a perfect antenna. You would place it at the far end of your coax and then test the coax VSWR. Bear in mind "bad coax" with excess loss, or very small diameter coax will absorb the reflected power and measure better than it really is. Measure forward and reflected power and VSWR (cross needle) with the tuner section bypassed and record the numbers. Move the tuner to the far end of the coax before the dummy load and make same measurements. Record them and note the difference in power at far end and compare to specs of the coax loss at the test frequency.

Samyham

The dummy load is to simulate a perfect antenna. You would place it at the far end of your coax and then test the coax VSWR. Bear in mind "bad coax" with excess loss, or very small diameter coax will absorb the reflected power and measure better than it really is. Measure forward and reflected power and VSWR (cross needle) with the tuner section bypassed and record the numbers. Move the tuner to the far end of the coax before the dummy load and make same measurements. Record them and note the difference in power at far end and compare to specs of the coax loss at the test frequency.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info. Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been unavailable for awhile.

Last edited:

JustinWHT

It's been my experience that AI is not the gospel truth so if any of you Hams know different from it's answers here (or you think you're smarter than AI) please reply.
Who or rather WHAT AI did you ask the question to?

Samyham

Who or rather WHAT AI did you ask the question to?
Yea. WHAT is right! It can be easy to forget, though.

Perplexity.ai. Probably the easiest AI to access. Just click on your browser search results and you're there, ready to ask 'prompts'. It runs off Chatgpt 3.5, but you can also use for free, 5 times a day, the Pro version run by Chatgpt 4 which is noticeably smarter. Very useful tool. AI appreciates feedback and says so.

If you don't want AI to be taught only by software giants who think they know everything, then consider sometimes taking the time to give some feedback. I usually do, like as if I was talking to a person.

JustinWHT

I tried it few weeks ago with my tag line and it generated a mashed up paragraph of BS like a used car salesman

Samyham

Yea. That can happen. Thankfully that didn't happen to me this time, as hopefully you can see from my first post. Other times it's just the usual "BS in, polite BS out". With a little practice you'll get it. (y)73

Last edited:

JustinWHT

Google Search is using AI generated synopsiss of search results. This is extremely disingenuous as it can take results out of context.