Synology NAS for recording audio and streaming audio?

thinbluebbq

Feed Provider
Hi all. I have a Synology NAS and I have been contemplating setting it up to record and store the audio from my scanners on my local network. Optimally, I would like to stream them too so I can listen remotely if possible but I am not sure if this is possible. Anyone have a Synology NAS they use for these purposes? Thanks in advance for the advice and help.

Dog

Hi all. I have a Synology NAS and I have been contemplating setting it up to record and store the audio from my scanners on my local network. Optimally, I would like to stream them too so I can listen remotely if possible but I am not sure if this is possible. Anyone have a Synology NAS they use for these purposes? Thanks in advance for the advice and help.
I have one but not set up in this configuration. I am pretty sure the security camera systems can be set up this way so you might do some research in the capacity to get some pointers. Good luck. I find Synologies apps confusing but I have done any real hardcore research. I have auto backup set up but that is all really.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I run a couple linux VMs on my 1019+ and have a few dongles on a hub plugged into USB and assigned to the VMs as needed.

thinbluebbq

Feed Provider
I run a couple linux VMs on my 1019+ and have a few dongles on a hub plugged into USB and assigned to the VMs as needed.
Thanks for the description, Shawn. Are you just recording it onto your NAS with the WMs or are you streaming it and recording it? If you are streaming it are you listening through AudioStation? Thanks!

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the description, Shawn. Are you just recording it onto your NAS with the WMs or are you streaming it and recording it? If you are streaming it are you listening through AudioStation? Thanks!
I don't have anything set up permanent yet but the idea will be to have one stick doing adsb for flightaware/adsbechange and another few either streaming or doing calls platform on a few local TRS. My area is already pretty well served already so I might change that up. In testing so far it seems to be working ok using rtl_433 on a VM or forwarding to SDR# with rtl_tcp. OP25 works as well in limited testing. I'm not into recording locally but leaning more toward central reception and decoding while being able to access it remotely via tablet, laptop, phone, etc. I haven't looked at Audiostation, the apps all have built in streaming provisions.