• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SYS ALL message

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMPhillieFan

I've noticed a few times that an odd transmission comes across the radio and the radio just shows "SYS ALL". Tonight, I had my radio on "ALARM" which is the fire department dispatch channel. The transmission sounded like City Animal Control. I noticed in unitrunker that the Animal Control talkgroup was active at the time.

Does anyone know, in general, what the "SYS ALL" message means and why it would appear on a totally unrelated talkgroup from where the transmission originated? Also, how does the transmission occur, ie emergency key?

FYI, I did not hear the transmission on the police talkgroups....this is an EDACS radio system.

morganAL

Usually, that means someone has placed a system wide "all call". When that happens, all calls in progress are dropped and all radios on the system go to the channel assigned to the all call by the control channel.

NMPhillieFan

Usually, that means someone has placed a system wide "all call".

While that makes sense, how does one place a system wide "all call"? As I mentioned in my example, this was an Animal Control officer transmitting and it did not appear to even be an emergency button activation...thanks for the info, so far.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
While that makes sense, how does one place a system wide "all call"? As I mentioned in my example, this was an Animal Control officer transmitting and it did not appear to even be an emergency button activation...thanks for the info, so far.

Systemwide Call is normally a feature only available to certain select radios and has to be programmed into the radio; it's not usually something the average joe is supposed to have access to....

The same applies for Motorola systems with the feature enabled.

If an Animal Control officer has access to it, I'd say somebody goofed when programming the radio.

NMPhillieFan

If an Animal Control officer has access to it, I'd say somebody goofed when programming the radio.

That's possible. I just recently noticed a field officer has the same radio LID as the Albuquerque PD helicopter...not a good scenario in an emergency....

The example I gave is just one example of this SYS ALL activation. I have noticed it before, recently...never were the transmissions legitimate "all calls", just general traffic coming across an unusual talkgroup. If not for that, I probably would not have even noticed it at all.

Thanks again.

The All Call feature really has only one use - to notify all the users on a particular site that there will be an interruption of service. Anyone transmitting at the time won't know about the call, and anyone receiving gets pulled into the call.

It's a programmed option under the I-call list..what you heard sounds like it was a malformed control channel assignment - perhaps your receiver is in a high bit-error rate spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.