Systeem Performance ?Johnston County Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfeng

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone noticed the RF performance degraded on this system.

I have been experiencing very poor performance only on this system for sometime now since Aug 2013 to present.

My location is right about in the middle of county coverage (Clayton area) closest tower 4 miles, most distant tower 10 miles. I have been told by some folks that worked on this system that they did some system antenna changes a while back (swaps to Bogner antennas) so not sure if the coverage contours changed due to that. The sites seem to be low for 800 coverage, and I have never been a fan of Bogner antennas. They are expensive, over rated and at least in my professional career have never seen good performance using them. Today the most users of these are commercial FM and TV transmitters where they can be designed to match stations FCC coverage contours.

Measuring RF levels in the -100 dbm to noise floor levels
Test Antenna system - 60ft Tower, 1/2 hard line Omni, LP, 800 Yagi,

Measurements made using test gear HP Spec Analyzer / and several calibrated ICOM test receivers
that I also use daily for my "real job" :)

Uniden Trunked radios all showing poor RF performance on this system (396T, 996T, Home Patrol V2) The Smithfield site is best at 0 - 2 Bars. I get control channel sync on all 4 towers, but 0 signal level bars on other sites using the Uniden trunktrackers. Test receivers and HP Spec verifies this is not RF interference issues just poor RF levels.

This JC system never performed great at this location, but seems, has degraded recently to the point where it is pretty noisy and annoying to monitor.

Other systems in the area perform great VIPER (multi sites received 5 uniden sig bars) Harnett (mid signal range), Wayne (new VHF Trunked mid sig levels) I can even monitor the RDU Trunked Site (using tower / Yagi system) all perform great.

Also notice that 396T, 996T seem to hang on open data channel often for no reason when dispatch convestation ends, control channel data stream keep receiver open. Home Patrol receiver have not had this happen however. Could be a potential compatability issue with Uniden and EDACS. Appears that this system is using Analog, not seen any ProVoice activity from my experience.

Be interested to hear from others experience with this system. I found in another thread that this network is to be upgraded in the next couple yrs to Mtoto P25.

John

rfeng

Premium Subscriber
Problem Solved

After taking more time to research this. I have discovered that there is an additional JC counrty site that is missing from the online data here at RR. This a 5 site EDACS system, but listed here as a 4 site system.
The site that is missing is Mcgee Crossroads water tank, 5ch system.

Not sure when this site was added, but sure fills in the coverage hole in the county, full scale signal strength on the uniden here now..

LCN's should be good, and verified by tool on Home Patrol

MCGEE CROSSROADS - WATER TOWER ON SOUTHEST CORNER
MCGEE CROSSROADS, NC JOHNSTON County
35-30-52.5 N, 078-34-42.9 W

854.7375 LCN 1
856.5625 LCN 2
857.5625 LCN 3
858.5625 LCN 4
859.0375 LCN 5

rfeng

Premium Subscriber
updated

Thanks, I already did submit this info yesterday and it has been updated on the site data

John

rfeng

Premium Subscriber
NO all are ANALOG on this system. In the 5 yrs I have monitored this system, have NOT encountered any Provoice. Who ever provided that info on provoice is WRONG with old or bad info. Have been listening to this system 24/7 since 2005 and have not encountered provoice ever. Using uniden 396T / 996T all analog comms, no dgital voice.

rfeng

Premium Subscriber
JC EDACS

No I did not mention the analog mode. As I mentioned, not sure where the "provoice" info came from but, as I mentioned been monitoring this system since 2005 and very regular 24/7 last 5 yrs. Notice system degraded poor RF at my location, and so did more research and found a 5th site was added and this new site seems to fill in the RF issue.

Are you familiar with this system? Are you local?

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
I come to Clayton sometimes to see family and I know aparamedic for JCEMS. I was told it was provoice but never tried to monitor it. I will submit the info about analog.

rfeng

Premium Subscriber
Well if there is any provoice, never heard it, the JCSD , Fire, Rescue, EMS, Selma, Smithfield, County Services,, all hear analog in the clear. That has bee my experience. Overall the system performance / design is not great. I'm an Engineer (wireless RF design) and see that the other counties and VIPER in the area perform much better. Even Harnett seems to work better than this one.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Yes I heard that but Jan of 2015 they should be switched to Moto P25. I know that everyone can't wait.

rfeng

Premium Subscriber
sounds like good news... except for the county taxpayers, bad choice for the EDACS in the first system, and decide to upgrade, they should have just signed on to VIPER as it covers the area well, more political I am sure for the reasons. As for ProVoice, I only listed to the JCSD (sheriff) Fire, Rescue, EMS most of the time and they are all clear. When I do open up to search TG's never hear digital, but lots of traffic on Smithfield, Selma police... and not interested in other towns. So Provoice if active, is on local small scale which would be funny for such small towns... who would be interested in shutting out the public for some reason...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
NO all are ANALOG on this system. In the 5 yrs I have monitored this system, have NOT encountered any Provoice. Who ever provided that info on provoice is WRONG with old or bad info. Have been listening to this system 24/7 since 2005 and have not encountered provoice ever. Using uniden 396T / 996T all analog comms, no dgital voice.

There is Provoice on this system. I know because I work as a Radio System Engineer
here in the Triangle and as such I am privy to radio system information here and elsewhere in NC.
Provoice has been in use for years. Are there also analog talkgroups on the system? Of course but Provoice is also heavily used.
I am glad you are able to help us verify some system info but please be careful
before assuming absolutes about radio systems.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Yes I heard that but Jan of 2015 they should be switched to Moto P25. I know that everyone can't wait.

They will be switching to P25. Last I heard they were still trying to decide
between Harris and Motorola. But the system will be P25.
If they go with Motorola they could be one of the few 7.15 systems at the beginning
of 2015...only time will tell. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

trumpetman

Database Admin
Thanks for the submission rfeng. Your info was very thorough and easy to process. I'm sure we all look forward to what Johnston County is planning to do. Until then, we have to remember that not everyone knows everything about every radio system and a simple helpful reply can get them on track to providing a steady and more reliable flow of info for their familiar area as changes occur. Definitely looking forward to testing the added coverage when I'm out that way next week. I picked up some unknown EDACS LCNs last time through there and wrote them off as a bad decode. Looks like you were able to shed some light on an incomplete site in my logs; my OCD thanks you!

I agree with you completely on your Bogner antenna size-up as well. I believe that is what Duke Energy is running for their OpenSky system. Seems like that's their only option with providing such weird cellular type coverage with several hundred sites. Some of the weirdest propagation patterns I've ever seen in the wild.

spencer2223

jo co

hey is johnston county on any p25 frequinces yet i hred they were and if they do who are they choosing if there not yet and would it all bee encrycpted

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
JC

I heard they were going with Motorola and no they have not start with the with P25 yet. This only the last I have heard. I don't live down there yet so I can't say for sure.

spencer2223

thanks i lived right in wilson i can hear it if they change but they must be sticking with new viper p25 cuz durham and all them have changed but all rest of county that use state or viper

Status
Not open for further replies.