System / Group Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

As per the below, does anybody have any advice on the best way to setup my systems / groups?

- Is it worth sorting by site and having each service as a sub group (for non trunked frequencies)
Mt Barrow -> Ambulance
Mt Barrow -> ATC
Freelands Lookout -> Metro
Freelands Lookout -> LCC

- Any benefit to having multiple systems under the same quick key instead of as a group under the one system?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The beauty of it is you can set the scanner up any way you like. For example, you show one configuration and ask if there might be a more efficient way of group programming (Maybe to gain a faster scan rate, etc.). So, program it another way, any way you think might improve things and try it.
I have the local VFD’s programmed by town. Under each town I have the various depts where a list of frequencies/channels/talkgroups reside. But when there are mutual aid calls, the local town FD’s help each other out. So I set up additional systems for each town and include only the M/A towns that usually respond to that town and call it “Mutual Aid Farmington“ or “Mutual Aid Avon”, and so on down the line. These additional systems remain Avoided until needed. I can assign quick keys to these systems and quickly access them when needed. And that’s just one other way to set up the scanner. Others have found the various filters available in the SDS100/200 can improve certain modes of transmissions. They have programs that group those frequencies/channels/talkgroups into their own system, all using the same filter(s).

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
there is no best way to set up a scanner and dont let any one tell you there is, its your scanner, set it up however you want and enjoy it.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
I've had me 396 setup a few different ways:
What I have now is a combination of both the below ways:
1. I have the P25 trunking (MMR) sites setup in groups on a key (90-99) so I can easily lock in an out a group of towers if they are losing signal. I then have Departments for Metro Fire Dispatch, Metro Ambulance, Metro Fire Fireground and Misc Ambulance.
2. I have a full statewide file for all sites with the full channel plan for each department. So let's say 32 is Metro Fire, I have all the Dispatch Channels, Fireground and Misc Channels, with every control channel for the sites they operate on in one big system. This is so that if I end up on the other side of town, where I may not have the local site programmed in, I can do a mass site search and lock in/out any sites that I need.

I also do the same thing for my non trunked systems as well, so in the case of CFA I have a key for each of the districts, so I can pinpoint one district only and where a trunking group exists I can have that on the same key. I also have one big master group that has all conventional channels in there, so I can recall up a fireground simplex channel or odd repeater channel if need be.

I find that the 96XT's load so much quicker than the x36 series so it's not a pain to load it up with a lot of data and lock in/out what you need. Sites can be locked out individually if need be or as a group. Only thing that is a pain, which the 436 addresses is that if you want to lock onto on TGID, you almost need to find the busiest site to lock onto or lock out all the other TGID and let it scan.

Also, I found it handy to create a system with the specific dispatch channels for some towns that I visit often, and my home location so I can lock in/out them when I get close and automatically be on the right channels for the area.

pb_lonny

Thanks for the feedback.

Does anybody program non-trunked sites in and then have all users for that site as a group, ignoring the type, such as having all fire, ambulance, atc, buses, trains and amateur radio operators that have repeaters at a single site as a single system?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’m sure some have. You can program a “System”, then enter as many “Dept(s)” in that system and then in each Dept as many “Channel(s)” as you like. But you don’t have to create more than one dept. Instead, you can label the dept as something like “All Town Channels” and put PD, FD, EMS, Highway, etc. in that group.

Did you try to do as you ask? Experimenting with different compilations won’t hurt the radio. I have never heard of anyone “bricking” their radio by simply using the manual programming abilities (just pushing user accessible buttons on the front panel). I’ve had scanners that intrigued children, and “touching” is something they do... never have they done something that couldn’t be undone.

lu81fitter

Thanks, I know I can try, my question was does anybody do it that way?

In my home area, I have 3 counties programed in. They are all non-trunked conventional analog. Each county has one dispatch frequency for all police activities. Then, each has a frequency for EMS paging. Then, each has a frequency for fire paging. They are all programmed in one system and in one group for listening at home. Additionally, I have surrounding counties in that same system separated into different groups so I can easily lock out/enable as needed. This is on a BCT15X.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I know I can try, my question was does anybody do it that way?
I’m sure others also “do it that way”. We are not the first to think of it. It’s just a common capability of scanners that affords us with the ability to become more creative with our programming.

pb_lonny

Thanks, I am sure somebody has done it, my idea was that it might not work as I wanted.
For those who have, how closely do you group towers / site together? Do you group by company or tower name?

lu81fitter

For P25 digital in Illinois, (STARCOM) I use the State Police districts as Systems. There may be several counties in a district that have tower sites. I enter all the sites (towers) in those counties within that district, and all the agencies that use that system. You can use "group/department" quick keys to be able to lock/unlock various agencies in that system. At times, my radio will scan towers on a system I am monitoring that I can not pick up because I may be at the far edge of a system, and a tower may be on the other. The radio seems to skip over it pretty quickly, so I don't think its slowing things down too much. There are a multitude of ways to program these radios. Find something that works best for you. There really is no wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.