system Hijack

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

I was doing a net search for TV series American Horror Stories,So I typed in American Horror stories and entered, the first page of the search gave me the usual list of sites one which said " Watch American Horror Stories season one online for free" so I clicked on it brought me to page one. On page one you select series one and that is were the hijack occurred. What happened next was I got a page on my laptop that I couldn't get out of. It looked like a page from Microsoft telling me that Microsoft was warning me that my computer had a virus and that I must call Microsoft to fix the problem. I couldn't do anything from here on in.

So I disconnected from the web closed the laptop lid and started it back up only to find the same webpage with the warning staring me in the face. I shut the computer off again and this time I took the battery out and then with the battery back in I rebooted and ran Malwarebyte. MB found two bugs and at the end I removed them from the computer and rebooted, problem solved.

Offending site is watchseries.cr/series/american_horror_story/season/1

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
If that should happen again, use the "three finger salute" (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to bring up the menu. The last option listed is Start Task Manager. Click on that option.

Look in the list of "Applications," select the browser you are using, then force it to "End Task."

If that doesn't work, then switch to the "Processes" tab and look for your browser's executable, such as chrome.exe, explorer.exe, et cetera. Select one or more of them and "End Process."

moonbounce

If that should happen again, use the "three finger salute" (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to bring up the menu. The last option listed is Start Task Manager. Click on that option.

Look in the list of "Applications," select the browser you are using, then force it to "End Task."

If that doesn't work, then switch to the "Processes" tab and look for your browser's executable, such as chrome.exe, explorer.exe, et cetera. Select one or more of them and "End Process."

I didn't even think of crl alt del, but other than that I could do nothing else as the screen was taken over completely by this website, even my mouse wouldn't work.

Rred

Moonbounce-
You will find that even the most unlikely web sites (for Barbie dolls, Lionel trains, EPA=certification for air conditioning techs) have been booby-trapped with malware. And the owns usually don't even know it, if they are running their own low-cost servers without a dedicated security staff.
Then of course there are sites offering bootleg software and copyright violations, which "season 1" might be. Those sites are usually loaded with malware intentionally, in the belief that who can you complain to, when you've gone there looking to "steal" in the first place? (Not saying this was, or that you did.)

But the best way to harden your computer is, sadly, to DISABLE or UNINSTALL all "active" script technologies and add-ins on your computer. That means finding the options and killing Java, JavaScript, Active-X, third-party web site links, and any other options especially including Adobe Flash. These are all known malware delivery systems, and the only way to protect against them is to turn them off.

That also means a lot of eye candy simply will not run, and that's because the folks designing these web sites have chosen to use security risks instead of doing their web coding the old fashioned hard way. Or, the modern HTML5 way. Either way...using the security options that do exist is inconvenient. Heck, if I left my front door unlocked all the time, I wouldn't need that damned bulky key ring in my pocket! But somehow, I still prefer to lock the door, and anyone who can't be bothered with knocking? Can just stay out.

Some major corporations, including Microsoft, have been disabled some of these technologies and many others have called for the death of Adobe Flash, there's just no excuse for it anymore. But until consumers start to say "You know what? Your web site is dangerous, so, goodbye and good luck, I'm not coming to it." we won't see anything but more ransomware. (Yes, you really can block that too.)

moonbounce

Moonbounce-
You will find that even the most unlikely web sites (for Barbie dolls, Lionel trains, EPA=certification for air conditioning techs) have been booby-trapped with malware. And the owns usually don't even know it, if they are running their own low-cost servers without a dedicated security staff.
Then of course there are sites offering bootleg software and copyright violations, which "season 1" might be. Those sites are usually loaded with malware intentionally, in the belief that who can you complain to, when you've gone there looking to "steal" in the first place? (Not saying this was, or that you did.)

But the best way to harden your computer is, sadly, to DISABLE or UNINSTALL all "active" script technologies and add-ins on your computer. That means finding the options and killing Java, JavaScript, Active-X, third-party web site links, and any other options especially including Adobe Flash. These are all known malware delivery systems, and the only way to protect against them is to turn them off.

That also means a lot of eye candy simply will not run, and that's because the folks designing these web sites have chosen to use security risks instead of doing their web coding the old fashioned hard way. Or, the modern HTML5 way. Either way...using the security options that do exist is inconvenient. Heck, if I left my front door unlocked all the time, I wouldn't need that damned bulky key ring in my pocket! But
somehow, I still prefer to lock the door, and anyone who can't be bothered with knocking? Can just stay out.

Some major corporations, including Microsoft, have been disabled some of these technologies and many others have called for the death of Adobe Flash, there's just no excuse for it anymore. But until consumers start to say "You know what? Your web site is dangerous, so, goodbye and good luck, I'm not coming to it." we won't see anything but more ransomware. (Yes, you really can block that too.)

Got rid of Adobe Flash and opted for HTML5 a long time ago and also gave Java the boot.:)

slicerwizard

No offense intended, but when I see something like this, it's "there's another one who doesn't know how to use a computer".

If you want to watch a TV show, you don't go to some random sketchy website!

And you don't go there with a crappy browser (hello IE/Edge...) and you don't browse without NoScript, ABP and PeerBlock engaged.

Instead, you download and install Tixati from https://www.tixati.com/ and then go here https://thepiratebay.org/search/American Horror Story/0/99/0

Pick the season and episode you want to watch and click on the little red magnet and off you go.

When using torrents, don't download any exe or similar files, just audio or video (mp3, avi, mkv, ...) and use a decent player. Media Player Classic (included in the K-Lite codec pack downloads) would be a good choice.

moonbounce

Slicerwizard, you know the old saying " if the shoe fits ware it" and I ware it well so no offence taken. I am just not a computer geek what can i say.

This was actually the first time I ever tried anything like that and it was the first site I went into ( but of course it would be ). Thanks everyone for for the advice some times computer are like walking in a mine field.

Thanks again
MB

RayAir

You should run a good security suite like Bitdefender Internet Security or similar.

If you want to watch movies or TV, I haven't had any issues with Kodi and the Exodus or Phoenix TV add on's. And to make ISP spying more difficult, use a VPN. I use Tunnelbear on all my devices.

You still need to be somewhat internet saavy to set it up properly.

If you get a BS screen you can't get out of, try the control alt delete or cold kill your PC. I never had this happen on my PC, but on my Android I've got it several times using Chrome and had to go in Apps and delete all data in Chrome to get rid of it.

Dave_E

No offense intended, but when I see something like this, it's "there's another one who doesn't know how to use a computer".

If you want to watch a TV show, you don't go to some random sketchy website!

And you don't go there with a crappy browser (hello IE/Edge...) and you don't browse without NoScript, ABP and PeerBlock engaged.

Instead, you download and install Tixati from https://www.tixati.com/ and then go here https://thepiratebay.org/search/American Horror Story/0/99/0

Pick the season and episode you want to watch and click on the little red magnet and off you go.

When using torrents, don't download any exe or similar files, just audio or video (mp3, avi, mkv, ...) and use a decent player. Media Player Classic (included in the K-Lite codec pack downloads) would be a good choice.

Because Pirate Bay is so legal, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.