• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Systems 9000- What's missing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadetklapp

I made a haul of some "free-ish" radio crap today. Got a half dozen slant-face Regency VHFs and a Systems 9000 system. Not familiar at all with the /\/\ gear. I got a harness, but it seems I'm missing the cables for the DEK heads and the control head. Any idea on which cables I need to make this work?

epicradioload.jpg

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Looks like you have a Systems 9000 high power Spectra with a siren unit.

First off, that cable is not for that, it's a system 90 style for older radios.
You will need a power cable, radio to control head cable, option cable to siren unit cable, and two
DEK cables to connect the option buttons to the head to make what you have complete.

You could delete the siren and DEK boxes, reprogram, and just have a remote mount radio.

kadetklapp

I'd like to use the radio and the DEK boxes. This could very well end up in a back up squad car at an agency I serve part-time. I'm thinking this might be a good way to get rid of the junk switchboxes, sirens, and crappy vhf radio we have and make a more compact, neater setup.

Are the cables available anywhere? This guy I got these from has tons of cables but they are scattered everywhere.

kadetklapp

Ok, I searched a couple threads and I'm concerned if what I have will work together or if I'm mixed and matched in the wrong way-

I've got the siren controller/DEK box HLN1241C

Light control/DEK box HLN1206B

Control head HCN1073C

Remote radio TA9GX+078W

And the Systems 9000 siren/amp/whatever.

Can anyone tell from those model numbers if this will all work together? I see the "VIP" spot on the back of the control head, but which DEK box plugs into it? Where does the other DEK box plug in?

kadetklapp

In deciphering the ID number on the radio itself I've figured it for a high-band VHF 100w securenet (not sure what that means). Can't read the bandsplit without RSS, correct?

cmdrwill

In deciphering the ID number on the radio itself I've figured it for a high-band VHF 100w securenet (not sure what that means). Can't read the bandsplit without RSS, correct?

Correct, but most if not ALL VHF Spectras are 146 to 174 and will do 144-- 2 meter ham band just fine..no mods needed. The other VHF range is 136 - 162, known as Range 1.
Securenet is Motorola's name for Digital voice encryption or scrambler. The actual encryption hybrid module may not be there as a lot of Spectras were sold with the Securenet capability but not the hybrid.

You need the Spectra 9000 control cable and the DEC cable, and of course the 'HiPower' power cable.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Been noodling around. First the radio is a conventional high power spectra. ID (what I consider model #) should be something like T83GXA...... More than likely it is the 146 to 174 split. Yes the RSS will tell you or you could cross the assembly number of the RF board or PA board.

The control head is correct, HCN1073 (if it is programmed as a system 9000).

Do you have two DEKs? Or a single DEK with a switchbox. A true DEK will have softpress momentary buttons (same as control head) whilst the switchbox (for lights, etc) will have a buttons with a longer throw that click on and click off. DEKs are connected to the control head VIP port and daisy chained if there are more than one. Switch boxes do not connect to the radio, it is merely a dumb box with switches. They would normally be connected to a lighting controller or relays directly via the DB-25 connector.

I have no info at this time on DEK cables. Somewhere I had a schem of the switchbox. Also don't have the P/N for the power cable. The control head cable should be a HKN4356 and available from Mot. Don't have info on siren cable either. Spectra manuals were moved to the garage. My garage is as messy as most, but if I locate them I'll look and see what I have.

If you can get back to the guy you got this from, maybe you can scrounge the right cables. Here are a couple of pics of the power an control head cables to get you started...

Last edited:

petnrdx

Its hard to tell from the photo, but that looks to me more like a Syntor X or Syntor X-9000.
The cable looks like a Syntor or Syntor-X cable for a Systems-90 push button control head.
A high power Spectra will have a control head connector that looks like a DB-25 connector, and a DB-25 for programming, and a three pin power connector.
The Syntor-X and X-9000 have just one connector on one corner. That connector has about four rows of small pins and thee or four ( I work on too many radios to remember them all ) large pins with a big "thumbscrew" in the center of the plug on the end of the cable.
I will look again at the photos, then go look at a Syntor, Syntor-X, Syntor-X-9000 and last, a Spectra A9 and see for sure.

petnrdx

Ramal121 is absolutely right.
You have a hi-power A9 Spectra with all the goodies.
Analog, wideband only, encryption capable.
Very good radios until NB is required.
I have some here for re-programming.
None of these have DEK's, so can't help with cable numbers etc.
The control head cable is HKN4356B.
If memory serves me the DEK's plug into the VIP connector, which is the left most (as you look at the rear of the head) 14 pin segment of the control head connector.

kadetklapp

Thanks for the information fellas.

The description of the DEKs are correct. One is soft touch and the other for the lights uses a bigger "click" and they stick in or stick out depending on if they are activated. I was wondering how these were both put into the control head with only one VIP port. What is meant by "daisy chained?"

I'll be going back to dig thru the pile again and try and locate the correct cables.

kadetklapp

Another question: It didn't come with a key to the main radio unit. Is this something I'm going to need to set this system up? It looks like it locks a mechanism that keeps the main harness plugged in?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You need a key to open the radio to mount it. they are Motorola 2139 they are on ebay occasioanlly

kadetklapp

Very good radios until NB is required.
What is "NB" an indication of?

Anyone have the part number for a DTMF mic? If I decide to keep it for myself I may use it in a ham application.

Last edited:

n5ims

Here is some info that may help you in hooking up the Motorola. Please note the links for the SYNTOR series as well. You may need one or more of these links depending up exactly which radio or accessory you have.

Motorola SPECTRA Mobile Radio Information

Also the links below may be of use as well.
Motorola Syntor, Syntor X, Syntor X9000, MCX and Mostar Information Index
The Motorola Spectra Radio Index Page
Model Specific Information (select the correct Spectra or Syntor radio you have from the list)

kadetklapp

Awsome! You guys have been very helpful. Am I understanding that for the light control DEK, that I need another remote unit other than what I already have?

Now, this might sound a bit silly, but is it possible to "freshen up" the control head and DEKs? It's possible I may use these in a show car application and I'd like to restore the "MOTOROLA" logo on the control heads and I've got a missing button between the encryption button and the CALL button.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Some good stuff coming in on this thread.

A correction. The Motorola key you need is a 2135. It locks the handle used to release the radio chassis from it's mounting plate.

The DEK connects to the control head VIP port via a cable. You can have a max of three DEK units. To connect, for example, two DEKs, DEK 1 cable would go to the control head, DEK 2 cable would plug into DEK 1. This is a daisy chain.

Your switchbox for lights does not connect to the radio. It is just a nice set of switches that can control other equipment in a systems 9000 enclosure so it all looks nice. They are not heavy duty switches so you cannot run a 30 amp lightbar through them. It's intended purpose is to run other relays to handle the big loads or inputs to a smart lighting controller. Wouldn't run more than an amp through them. Good news is, see attachment for a rare document on this.

As far as sprucing up the heads, armour all is OK, a plastic restorer is even better. Do not use an ammonia based cleaner (409) on them. It will remove the logo type and give the plastic a whitish haze. Use a mild detergent or simple green and water with an old toothbrush. If you want to replace the housings, they are probably available still, although the control head may say "Astro"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.