T-antenna for 2m/scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean_kd4adv

I saw in a QST issue back in the mid 90's about a 2m antenna that was in the shape of a "T".
The "T" formation was made by PVC tubing and the elements were inside and you could take this and mount it so as to have a driven element at the top and the counter-poise on the bottom.
I have QST issues from the 90's and I am unable to find which year it was. I would like to find it again and build it.
I don't know about it's use on scanner unless it's a mono-band for a certain range i.e. VHF -AIR or Marine or Railroad.

Anyway, I am asking if any of you have that issue and can tell me which one it is, I'd appreciate it. :)

73s
de
KD4ADV

Radio Shack HTX-212 2m Xcvr (circa 1996)
Pro - 51 Portable scanner 200 CH (Conventional)
Pro - 92 Multi Trunking portable 500 CH
Pro - 97 Triple Trunking/Multi System 1000 CH
Uniden BC-895XLT Base/Mobile 300 CH w/800 MHz only Trunking.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sounds interesting, I remember reading an article about two VHF 1/4 wave groundplanes mounted as such to act like a beam too.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
that sounds like a dipole antenna inside the PVC. Ramsy Electronics sells those for FM broadcast. our cable company has those on their trucks to listen for signal leaks when driving down the alleys.
Eric Burris

I saw in a QST issue back in the mid 90's about a 2m antenna that was in the shape of a "T".
The "T" formation was made by PVC tubing and the elements were inside and you could take this and mount it so as to have a driven element at the top and the counter-poise on the bottom.
I have QST issues from the 90's and I am unable to find which year it was. I would like to find it again and build it.
I don't know about it's use on scanner unless it's a mono-band for a certain range i.e. VHF -AIR or Marine or Railroad.

Anyway, I am asking if any of you have that issue and can tell me which one it is, I'd appreciate it. :)

73s
de
KD4ADV

Radio Shack HTX-212 2m Xcvr (circa 1996)
Pro - 51 Portable scanner 200 CH (Conventional)
Pro - 92 Multi Trunking portable 500 CH
Pro - 97 Triple Trunking/Multi System 1000 CH
Uniden BC-895XLT Base/Mobile 300 CH w/800 MHz only Trunking.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
OK guys before you get all carried away please remember you have absolutely NO electrical description to go on whatsoever! What's inside that PVC T? I have no idea and neither do you. Sean, find the article, scan the schematic diagram and post it as an image attachment so we have at least some idea what this thing is and oh, a short clip of text wouldn't hurt.

sean_kd4adv

Well, it was in a QST issue back in the mid 1990s.

It housed the wire inside the PVC tubing.
The Center conductor element wire was at the top and the counterpoise at the bottom and the cable was fed thru a long section. It was positioned like a ground plane / vertical antenna.

I am unable to find this issue in my stash nor the image to scan.
I have looked. I may have missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.