T-band mobiles reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe1123

Hi .. is there a trick for pulling in what is (probably) a low power T-band frequency? There's a frequency in the 470-512 range a business uses for mobiles that I can't pick up at home (probably 10 miles distance as the crow flies). I'm thinking they are using low power because I only pick them when I'm probably within 1-2 miles of the place. ... Would a T-band antenna (470-512 MHz) make any difference? ... I really don't have the option for an outdoor antenna. Thanks for any info/tips etc.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If they are not using a repeater then the range is going to be very short. Most repeater antennas that repeat 5 watt UHF walkies are over 300 feet high. I have a plant here in my town their antenna is 30 feet they cover about 2 miles from the plant.

troymail

Silent Key
Yup - I've even encountered some DMR trunk systems (with repeaters) where you have to be within a very short distance to hear it. The system serves a single complex/facility and they really have no reason to be heard much farther than that (even though this is not typical).

For mobiles, you just have to be close.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If you are in Rochester, NY as your profile says, I doubt it is t-band....at least not legally. The only T-band permitted area in NYS is the NYC area.

Joe1123

If you are in Rochester, NY as your profile says, I doubt it is t-band....at least not legally. The only T-band permitted area in NYS is the NYC area.

Hi, not sure what you'd call it then ... frequency is in the high 470s, nearly 480. .. But really I'm wondering if one of those antennas meant for 470-512 (rubber duckie) would make any difference. My guess is probably not.

ecps92

What Frequency / Agency ?
As others pointed out, based on your profile, T-Band is not a valid allocation in your area...
Hi .. is there a trick for pulling in what is (probably) a low power T-band frequency? There's a frequency in the 470-512 range a business uses for mobiles that I can't pick up at home (probably 10 miles distance as the crow flies). I'm thinking they are using low power because I only pick them when I'm probably within 1-2 miles of the place. ... Would a T-band antenna (470-512 MHz) make any difference? ... I really don't have the option for an outdoor antenna. Thanks for any info/tips etc.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Hi, not sure what you'd call it then ... frequency is in the high 470s, nearly 480. .. But really I'm wondering if one of those antennas meant for 470-512 (rubber duckie) would make any difference. My guess is probably not.

I just did an FCC ULS search from 470-490 in Monroe, Wayne, Ontario and Orleans Counties and there are no licensed hits (as expected).

Status
Not open for further replies.