• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

T-hunting or Fox hunting questions !! help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalRepoDude

well here is my issue i know a lot of people know this as fox hunting well we call it T-hunting... Anyways my set up is a 4' firestix with dead whips for a wall im running a cobra 29 nightwatch ltd sometimes i get a good direction and read and tag all night then another night it seems like someone cut my coax or mess with my ground and i cant figure out what and how to fix it try to run just a 102" stainless whip on the rear driver side of my pick up but that wasnt that good either i ran ground wires from the engine block to the pick up bed helped a little but not enough! so im seeking some help im sure there is more of you that knows more then i do!!! please help

kd7gxu

Premium Subscriber
questions

How are you getting direction finding with one vertical antenna? Your best bet on 27 MHZ is probably a loop antenna and a step attenuator. The loop will give you a null in one direction and as you get closer you can use the attenuator to reduce the incoming signal so that a direction can be read. I suppose you could use a rotatable dipole or yagi on top of a vehicle but it would be kind of large on 27 MHZ.

efry849

T-huntingor Fox hunting

Ham radio is a popular venue for fox hunting. I dabbled in it years ago with 2 meter vhf. We always used directional antennas to determine direction of the signal source, then step-attenuators to close in on the fox. Check out arrl.com (American Radio Relay League, the voice of ham radio) for links & info on fox hunting. The concepts are the same, only the frequencies differ. Good luck & have fun.
Ed, N9MBG efry849@plbb.us

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Considering this is a CB topic I have doubts if any of the antennas or techniques used on 2M (the most popular fox hunting band) would be of any help. I don't think there are any loop antennas sold anymore or plans on how to make them like there used to be before the madness set in but if you can find any publications from the early 70s you just might dig up some useful information.

Fox hunting is very popular in Europe and those hams make life miserable by putting transmitters on bands where they're extremely difficult to track but they love it. That may give you some idea where to look on the web, there are clubs and they have web sites loaded with information. Being 11M is HF some of their antenna designs may give you some neat ideas.

Hmmm, practice makes perfect and perfection makes a midnight antenna party when you find that carrier chucker. Just be sure you're perfect and not like Fudd the hunter who didn't realize who he was mouthing off to until I rearranged his face for him. (;->)

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Considering this is a CB topic I have doubts if any of the antennas or techniques used on 2M (the most popular fox hunting band) would be of any help. I don't think there are any loop antennas sold anymore or plans on how to make them like there used to be before the madness set in but if you can find any publications from the early 70s you just might dig up some useful information.

Fox hunting is very popular in Europe and those hams make life miserable by putting transmitters on bands where they're extremely difficult to track but they love it. That may give you some idea where to look on the web, there are clubs and they have web sites loaded with information. Being 11M is HF some of their antenna designs may give you some neat ideas.

Hmmm, practice makes perfect and perfection makes a midnight antenna party when you find that carrier chucker. Just be sure you're perfect and not like Fudd the hunter who didn't realize who he was mouthing off to until I rearranged his face for him. (;->)

You rearranged his face for him ? Did you hit him with your mic or your golden screwdriver ?
Let me quess..........your going to show me a picture of your Browning and a set of brass knuckle...........lol..............let us not forget Robby the Robot..................lol.......just kidding...............I'm imature what can i say :0)

Last edited:

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Its not hard to fox hunt on 27 MHz if you want to.

A local group of radio enthusiasts run two versions of fox-hunts on CB: the first has the fox giving out clues every 5 or 10 minutes as to his location, and so combines technical skills with trivia like knowledge. This is great for those participants that don't have or like to use technical means to find the fox.
The second fox hunt run we do is a pure fox hunt where someone takes a handheld CB and hides somewhere, no clues given, and its up to the hunters radio finding skills alone to catch the fox. We frequently find participants with no directional finding equipment at all manage to find the fox first... I guess they're going purely on signal strength alone, and then when in the general vicinity they'll visially search out the fox. So hunting a radio-fox with verticals alone can and does work!

We've had foxes hide inside a local McDonalds or grocery store, inside a rubbish bin, next to a sewerage plant (peeeuw!) and all sorts of inventive places. Techniques used by hunters are just as inventive: using hills, road cuttings, buildings etc as an indication of signal direction (ie if you're in front of the hill / building the signal doesn't drop, but behind it does etc), when getting stronger signals swapping to progressively smaller antennae, and finally using no antenna at all to really zero in on the source.

Quite small (about a foot across) loop designs exist for 10/11 metres that are quite directional. They shouldn't be hard to find. If you find one for 10 metres ham band, it'd be quite easy to adapt for 27 MHz - in fact the one and same loop would probably do it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.