T/Newburgh EMS Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've noticed that T/Newburgh EMS tones seem distorted when compared to the rest of the county. It doesn't seem to be unique to the Beacon tower....only T/Newburgh (Montgomery, Cornwall etc sound fine).

And by distorted I mean like they're louder...literally louder than the other tones on the same channel, at the same volume level.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be? Or is it just me...

cackis

Premium Subscriber
TONVAC tones are sent out by OC911 on the local tower which is at the 911 center. They were sent on Beacon at first but there was a problem with the interface that they have with their local ops repeater. The tones and dispatch voice from 911 are rebroadcast over the TONVAC repeater and that is how their members are notified, not by the 911 paging channel. This may be why you are noticing a difference in audio levels.

Do you know when they made the switch? Or any idea what was wrong that sending them off the local tower fixed?

cackis

Premium Subscriber
I noticed the switch probably around 6 months ago or so. I don't know why the switch to the local tower corrected the problems they were having but I'll see what I can find out. The real problem is the audio levels in Orange County vary so much from transmitter to transmitter on all channels and bands. The local tower fire paging is louder than Beacon, 800 Beacon is louder then 800 Schunnemunk, etc. Some channels and towers are very noticeable while some aren't as bad. It seems I'm constantly turning radios up and down based on what tower and channel is being used.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Some channels and towers are very noticeable while some aren't as bad. It seems I'm constantly turning radios up and down based on what tower and channel is being used.

Those of us who have dealt with that particular radio outfit over the years are not surprised in the least little bit. :roll:

cackis

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I was trying to be nice and not go there but after 20+ years of dealing with them in one way or another I couldn't have said it better myself......

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hahaha exactly! I tried to say it as diplomatically as possible. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.