Tabletop Radio Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacefrog922

I am looking to purchase a desktop/tabletop LW/MW/SW radio scanner. I am currently using a SDR radio and I love it, but would like to have a stand alone radio. I am not sure where to find one or what brand and am not looking to spend more than a few hundred dollars. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

N8IAA

I am looking to purchase a desktop/tabletop LW/MW/SW radio scanner. I am currently using a SDR radio and I love it, but would like to have a stand alone radio. I am not sure where to find one or what brand and am not looking to spend more than a few hundred dollars. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

To general of a statement. Are you wanting to monitor HF and scan LE, or just HF?? Be more specific.
Also, what is a few hundred dollars? $300, $400?? More??

Just wondering.

peacefrog922

Sorry I was vague.......I am still kind of new to this...I would like a scanner that I can monitor, police, air, shortwave, long wave, medium wave, ham, just a decent all around radio scanner that is a base set up. I currently have a Uniden BCD325P2 and I love it, just want something like that for home/desktop. I would like to keep my spending amount less than $500 is possible. I hope this helps explain what I am looking for.

N8IAA

If you want something for desktop like the 325, how about the 996P2. It won't do any HF, but it is a really good scanner that you can set up like the HT.
The only other one I can suggest is the Icom R30 communications receiver. It does all of the digital modes and does HF. Check it out. Just doesn't do trunk tracking.

Decision is yours. (y)

There is another not as expensive, the Alinco DJ-X11. I have one, and it does analog quite well, along with HF.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
What you appear to be interested in is a wide-band communications receiver. Even on the used market, these are not cheap. Then too, unless you spend megabucks, you'll wind up with a radio that covers all you want to hear, but will have compromised performance and a lack of features you may want on certain bands. For example, communications receivers such as is produced by Icom may cover the Public Safety bands, but lack the features found on a dedicate scanner such as the Uniden SDS or x36 series. A better option is to prioritize your listening needs and focus on either a dedicated scanner or shortwave receiver first. You'll find that in doing so, you'll experience a more satisfying monitoring experience than by taking a one-size-fits-all approach.

WB9YBM

Stick to well-known name brands and you'll be fine. The main thing you might want to chech is what frequencies the receiver will cover and compare it to what frequencies that you want to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.